Skip to main content

2020 Ratings Thread

Been saying all along not quite sure how we need it to rate in order to get it to come back next year but for Seven to do it live, but actually think this ratings trajectory might help that cause. The high launch shows people are interested in Big Brother and they'll be interested next year too (even if ratings halved) if they fixed the reasons people are tuning out - which I firmly believe is largely down to the non-live rushed nature of it. I think the overall change in format seems to have been accepted, but the way the show is edited and people not feeling like they're getting to know the housemates due to it playing out an eviction every night is a problem - but it's nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Live feed would be great but even without it this is a format which could largely be done live with a few tweaks. It could probably be done over a similar 6-8 week time frame too if they're worried about the cost of expanding beyond that either by reducing the HMs or making every eviction a double with viewers evicting the first of the three nominees then housemates voting on the second. If they kept it as single I'd have viewers save a nominee from the three.

That’s an awesome jump!!!
Hopefully the twist reveal means more people will tune in Sunday..

Also, when do we see consolidated ratings with PVR records. Or is there a report on online views via 7plus?!

Semi related to ratings - popularity link moreso - after each episode the Instagram page is amassing more and more likes - currently sitting at 46.7k vs programs like The Voice with 248k and Masterchef with 454k - both of which have been running for many years now. Will be interesting to see where BB ends up by the end of the season, I think it’s a good indicator of popularity separate to just looking at ratings after each ep - particularly given the propensity for people to catch up via streaming or recording on Foxtel device or similar.

Time shifted viewers for both Episodes 1 & 2 have also been approx 80,000. Plus 7plus views there seems to be quite a lot of interest in this season. 2014 averaged at 650,000 so the fact that this season is 25% through and is already steadying well above this figure is great given how much has changed in television viewing habits in the last 6 years.

Semi related to ratings - popularity link moreso - after each episode the Instagram page is amassing more and more likes - currently sitting at 46.7k vs programs like The Voice with 248k and Masterchef with 454k - both of which have been running for many years now. Will be interesting to see where BB ends up by the end of the season, I think it’s a good indicator of popularity separate to just looking at ratings after each ep - particularly given the propensity for people to catch up via streaming or recording on Foxtel device or similar.
That's about 300% growth in BBAU's Instagram followers over the last four weeks, including one week prior to launch. Hope it continues to compound, exponentially (?). Will be ineresting to see where it lands, I agree, and a good popularity indicator.

Last edited by a moderator:
The BBAU Facebook page is now at over 50,000 likes and seems to be growing by almost 1,000 likes per day.

WooHoo! The ratings are going up!

It’s getting renewed whether the ratings tank or not, this is Warburton’s first commission to air and it’s delivering 7’s best results (terrestrial/demos/BVOD/social) since MKR was in its hey day, it’s like his baby i guess

Yes, it's a certain for recommission whatever happens from here. I think everyone can see they need to take advantage of the TV landscape being quieter on Tuesday and Wednesdays.

The BBAU Facebook page is now at over 50,000 likes and seems to be growing by almost 1,000 likes per day.
Has the page been inherited from Nine (and perhaps even Ten), or have they started again each time it moved channels?

Has the page been inherited from Nine (and perhaps even Ten), or have they started again each time it moved channels?
I don’t believe Ten ever had one as Facebook was only just kicking off when the series ended. But it’s my understanding Seven started completely fresh late last year. All of Nine’s BB socials (everything from Instagram, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook) no longer exist.

Back