Skip to main content

2014 Media Articles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being (almost) launch night, the media embargos are coming off, left right and centre!

Sonia Kruger says Big Brother’s first night is unique on TV

EVERY year, Big Brother puts a gag order on his live host, Sonia Kruger.
She can’t talk much about the house, his plans for the new crop of housemates on the reality show, the surprises in store for the new season. He calls the shots and keeps the secrets.

This year, 49-year-old Sonia Kruger turned the tables.

With the announcement a fortnight ago that she is expecting a baby, a glowing Kruger became the one springing the surprises.

Kruger is adamant Big Brother found out about the same time as the bulk of Australia about her news via that tweet.

“I’m really good at keeping secrets — he should know that,” she laughs.

“How did he react? I think he was a bit disturbed.

“He feels he now has to cancel the highwire act he had planned. I said ‘it can’t go at the end because I’ll be about 30 weeks by then, and I won’t be looking so good in a leotard that’s for sure.”

Of stealing the limelight ahead of the launch of the eleventh season of Big Brother in Australia, and her third as host since the franchise was revived by Channel Nine, Kruger is sure Big Brother doesn’t mind.

“I think he’ll indulge it, spend his time knitting booties, and bide his time until September 8 (tomorrow, when the show launches).

“He’ll give me time to enjoy it, then say ‘that’s enough now’, and it will all be about him again.”

Kruger confesses it’s been a whirlwind couple of months holding her pregnancy secret close, fearful, after several years of trying to conceive, that she would suffer the devastation of miscarrying again.

She’ll again split her time between Big Brother on the Gold Coast and Sydney for Mornings, but is mindful of taking care of herself.

“The Mornings EP has said ‘if you feel like it’s getting too much and you need to have a couple of days off and stay on the Gold Coast you can do that’,” Kruger says.

“That’s a load off my mind because it’s hard to get through that entire run (of BB) without having some sort of head cold or something that happens along the way.”

Amid the reception to her baby news, Kruger took a week to ‘get my BB head back on’.

But the thrill of live television and new directions in the show mean it won’t take long to get back into the swing of life under Big Brother.

On night one, the new housemates will have to make a snap decision that will affect the rest of their time in the house.

“The show stays fresh because network schedules are pretty much structured around those big global franchise programs which are pretty structured in terms of format, but BB is the only one that you have complete creative freedom with,” Kruger says.

“What we are doing on that launch night hasn’t been done in 63 territories around the world where BB runs.

“Today, thanks to apps like Tinder in real life people have to make instant decisions.

“The housemates will have to make an instant decision about someone. And that decision, unfortunately for the housemates, will have far-reaching consequences.

“The bits Alex (Mavroidakis, BB executive producer) tells me — because we have a similar wicked sense of humour — are hilarious.

“Sometimes I think ‘can we do that to these poor people?’

“But they sign up to be in the house. They know that anything can happen. It can be psychologically or physically testing, but it’s nothing that’s going to do them long term damage.

“They’ve never floated anything that I’ve thought ‘it’s too much’. If anything I want to go further.”

BIG BROTHER 2014: WHAT WE KNOW
  • SONIA will be 35 weeks pregnant at the Big Brother finale
  • 2014 housemates include a midwife, radiographer, estate agent, hairdresser, budding magician and a wannabe rock star. Two are no Australian born and bred. 13,0000 people registered to be part of this season
  • THE house is based around ‘old-school Miami cool with a touch of Hollywood glamour. “Think of the mansion from Scarface, or a place The Sopranos would be happy to live,” says Kruger
  • 2014 is the year of power. Every week a new power will be introduced, and a new housemate will hold the power. Money will play a major part.
  • AT one point happiness will become a necessity, not an option
  • A NEW show, Big Brother Live will be filmed in front of a studio audience, hosted by Sonia with special guests, and occur each Monday
  • A LATE-NIGHT show will air on Sundays.
  • 50 cameras permanently monitor the house. There are 92 microphones, including the ones carried by housemates.
  • In 2013, 24 series of BB aired in 68 countries
  • A FINAL warning: Beware of the Parrot

Source: Daily Telegraph

• 2014 housemates include a midwife, radiographer, estate agent, hairdresser, budding magician and a wannabe rock star. Two are no Australian born and bred. 13,0000 people registered to be part of this season
  • THE house is based around ‘old-school Miami cool with a touch of Hollywood glamour. “Think of the mansion from Scarface, or a place The Sopranos would be happy to live,” says Kruger
  • 2014 is the year of power. Every week a new power will be introduced, and a new housemate will hold the power. Money will play a major part.
  • A NEW show, Big Brother Live will be filmed in front of a studio audience, hosted by Sonia with special guests, and occur each Monday
  • 50 cameras permanently monitor the house. There are 92 microphones, including the ones carried by housemates.

Some new information in that.

So bye bye Surley hello Mr parrot.
2 HMs not born in Australia, I remember seeing Alex tweet out that Kiwis could be on the show all they had to do was be a resident of Oz.

Big Brother Live will be hosted by Sonia in front of a live audience with new guests each week. That sounds like a Big Mouth type show.

The mix of housemates sounds interesting. 2 who are not born and bred….

OMG... every single one of those points actually excite me so much! I actually don't mind that we are getting BBUK's Power Trip (as much as Alex denies it) and that little tidbit regarding Big Brother Live and its "special guests" makes me anxious - but in a very good way!

Bring it on! :woot:

Wait a second the radiographer we already discussed! the Toby McGuire lookalike? didnt someone post a photo of him at auditions and say thats what he was? or was it already mentioned and we linked him to that job?

OMG... every single one of those points actually excite me so much! I actually don't mind that we are getting BBUK's Power Trip (as much as Alex denies it) and that little tidbit regarding Big Brother Live and its "special guests" makes me anxious - but in a very good way!

Bring it on! :woot:
So freaking excited.

According to this article there will be nominations straight after evictions, the Sunday night show will involve choosing a new ‘house leader’, and on Mondays we get a bit more insight into the HMs via friends and family (and possibly Psychologists).

In full: http://bmag.com.au/your-brisbane/brisbane-extra/2014/09/05/secrets-big-brother-set/

Snippets below:

Nominations just got a lot more stressful

Nominations will now be done straight after evictions, meaning housemates will be kept up to the early hours of the morning while deciding who they’d like to nominate as tribute. Between lack of sleep and the stress of watching someone leave we’re hoping for some juicy nominations.

There will be a hierarchy

Each week there will be a house leader who will hold the ultimate power, and it’s the viewers who get to select that person. The house leader will run the house budget and do the shopping, which will probably cause a lot of problems as everyone will be shouting out what they want and obviously in the Big Brother house there’s no paper for them to write anything down. There will also be a new Sunday night show that will chronicle the changing of the guard as a new house leader is elected.

Family and friends will play a bigger role

There will also be a new show on Monday nights where host Sonia Kruger will talk to contestants’ families about the house drama. Psychologists will also be brought on to chat if things get a little too real.

There will also be a new show on Monday nights where host Sonia Kruger will talk to contestants’ families about the house drama. Psychologists will also be brought on to chat if things get a little too real.
omg omg omg omg

According to this article there will be nominations straight after evictions, the Sunday night show will involve choosing a new ‘house leader’, and on Mondays we get a bit more insight into the HMs via friends and family (and possibly Psychologists).

In full: http://bmag.com.au/your-brisbane/brisbane-extra/2014/09/05/secrets-big-brother-set/

Snippets below:

Nominations just got a lot more stressful

Nominations will now be done straight after evictions, meaning housemates will be kept up to the early hours of the morning while deciding who they’d like to nominate as tribute. Between lack of sleep and the stress of watching someone leave we’re hoping for some juicy nominations.

There will be a hierarchy

Each week there will be a house leader who will hold the ultimate power, and it’s the viewers who get to select that person. The house leader will run the house budget and do the shopping, which will probably cause a lot of problems as everyone will be shouting out what they want and obviously in the Big Brother house there’s no paper for them to write anything down. There will also be a new Sunday night show that will chronicle the changing of the guard as a new house leader is elected.

That article also states this:

The majority of the housemates are single but there is one married person, one divorced person, two in a relationships and one gay person.

That article also states this:

The majority of the housemates are single but there is one married person, one divorced person, two in a relationships and one gay person.

It does?! :eek: *goes back to check*

Oh you’re right. Haha! I got too distracted (excited) by the Psychologists bit, but yeah - that’s…um…kinda big news as well. :shamefully:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back