Skip to main content

2014 FIFA World Cup

...aw nuts!:bang:... my condolences HarlyQQ:frown::sorry:... now to decide who I hate the most... the :mad:Germans:rage: or the :mad:Argentinians:punch:... it has to be the Argentinians... no... the Germans... no the... aaaaaaaaaaaaaah fuckit!... I won't even bother to watch it:stop:... problem solved!:thumbsup:... cheers.:yawn:

Why would anybody hate the argies, I don't get it?

Don't tell me it has anything to do with that British invasion of the so-called Falkland Islands? The poms should have pissed off by now, they're only there because of the oil and not because they have any great attachment to a land miles away from Britain. lol

They've cut ties with most of their former colonies (i.e. India, Australia) so I don't get why they persist with these island off the coast of South America, besides the oil that is.

Why would anybody hate the argies, I don't get it?

Don't tell me it has anything to do with that British invasion of the so-called Falkland Islands? The poms should have pissed off by now, they're only there because of the oil and not because they have any great attachment to a land miles away from Britain. lol

They've cut ties with most of their former colonies (i.e. India, Australia) so I don't get why they persist with these island off the coast of South America, besides the oil that is.

...hey Connoisseur... I'm a pommy and I thought that I would just say... my hatred of Argentina is not of the country itself... it's not because of the Falklands War... to be honest... the British should have handed them those islands back years and years ago in my own personal opinion... it is to do with the Diego Maradona 'Hand of God' incident in the 1986 World Cup quarter final match with England... it's not because I'm English... they may as well have been playing the Netherlands/Germany/Italy or any other country on the planet at the time... it's because of the way that they got to the final match to win it... from this website...

http://worldsoccer.about.com/od/internationals/a/Diego-Maradonas-Hand-Of-God-Goal.htm

...it explains very well why people consider Argentina to be 'cheats' even to this day... I actually feel sorry for the modern day Argentinian soccer players... it's not their fault as to what happened all those years ago...

...I guess it's the same as everybody hating the 'Manly' NRL team... the 'privileged club'... the 'Silverbacks'... the 'born-with-the-silver-spoon-in-their-mouths' team... everybody hates them because of their past 20 to 4000 years ago!...

...from the link above that I posted... I think that it explains it quite well I believe... (I've highlighted the parts that I think means the most)... this is what it says...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diego Maradona's ‘Hand of God’ effort is one of the most controversial goals in soccer history.

In Argentina’s 1986 World Cup quarter final match with England, El Pibe de Oro (The Golden Boy) displayed the brilliance of a player at the peak of his powers and those street urchin tendencies that characterized him throughout his career.

The Goal

Six minutes into the second-half, Maradona passed the ball to Jorge Valdano and continued his run from the left into the England penalty area.

The pass was intercepted by Steve Hodge but in trying to clear the ball he skewed it into the penalty area where Maradona had continued his run and England goalkeeper Peter Shilton had come out to meet it.

Shilton was favorite to punch the ball clear, however, Maradona reached it first and with the outside of his left fist, knocked it beyond Shilton and into the net. Inexperienced Tunisian referee Ali Bin Nasser and his linesman did not see the infringement and the goal stood. Terry Fenwick and Glenn Hoddle chased Bin Nasser back to the center circle, but their protests fell on deaf ears.

Reaction

Maradona later said, "I was waiting for my teammates to embrace me, and no one came... I told them, 'Come hug me, or the referee isn't going to allow it".

England coach Bobby Robson was in no mood for an embrace. "I saw the ball in the air and Maradona going for it," he was quoted in the Guardian. "Shilton went for it as well but Maradona handled the ball into the net. You don't expect decisions like that at World Cup level".

Maradona later claimed it had been scored "a little with the head of Maradona and a little with the hand of God". That was how the goal would come to be known.

For many Argentineans, pick-pocketing the English in this fashion was a deeply satisfying experience.

Viveza is deeply enmeshed in the Argentinean psyche, the idea that native cunning and craftiness is something to be proud of. For Robson, it was pure cheating.

“They wouldn’t think about the sporting aspect of the game”, he was quoted in Chris Hunt’s book ‘World Cup Stories’. “If it gives them a chance of winning and it’s illegal, who cares. Maradona didn’t care. He’d actually gone to the crowd for adulation and raised his fists as a superstar, but he was a cheat”.

Genius

Maradona went from the ridiculous to the sublime as he put his team 2-0 up three minutes later.

Receiving the ball from Hector Enrique, just inside his own half, he went past five English defenders - Hodge, Peter Beardsley, Peter Reid, Terry Butcher and Fenwick - before rounding Shilton and sliding the ball in. Valdano was available for a tap in but Maradona finished the move off alone for one of the greatest goals ever scored.

Although Gary Lineker netted late on, Argentina held on for a 2-1 win. Tension had surrounded the match because it was the first time the teams had met since the Falklands War, and if the game’s protagonists were playing this down, the media certainly were not.

Argentina went on to win the 1986 World Cup, beating West Germany 3-2 in the final, and Maradona was named Player of the Tournament.

...all credit where it's due for his second goal... it was a good... LEGAL... goal... all credit to the Argentinian team for beating West Germany 3-2 in the final but the fact that he was named 'Player of the Tournament' at the end of it made so many people bitter enough to hate Argentina so much from that day onwards... yeah I know that it is what?... 28 years later but it was such a powerful moment in Soccer... it is still hard to forget for a lot of people (including myself) that are so passionate about the wonderful game of Soccer to forget it... even to this day...

...it is as much a powerful as when my team... (Manchester United) In the 1998-99 season became the first team to win the Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League – "The Treble" – people won't ever forget that just as they won't forget the 'hand of god' incident...

...from my own personal point of view Connoisseur I think that that is the reason that I hate Argentina... it's probably a case of 'old-memories-die-hard' on my part but unfortunately for me I don't forget past indiscretions too easily... anyhow my friend... that's my take on it... cheers.:)

...just a little side note... I've decided to go for Argentina regardless... I'd rather back them than have the Germans win it... (don't get me started on the Germans)...

View attachment 40030

...(just joking ;):D)... cheers.

Last edited:
Oh okay, I thought you might've been an aussie, makes sense now.:) I can understand the Hand of God angle and why the pommies harbour resentment for that agains the argies in the football sense, that's fair enough.

But I've also heard negative sentiments expressed against the argies by Australians and for the life of me I can't understand where they're coming, apart form the British connection that is. The Falkland Islands is the only thing I can think of why an aussie would dislike the argies. :confused:

1027824-3x2-940x627.jpg The-Hand-of-God-007.jpg maradona-hand-of-god-7.jpg

...some quite damning evidence that he touched the ball with his hand... that video shows how clever he was in using his hand and getting away with it though... oh well... it won them the game I guess... cheers.

Last edited:
i don't, i am only commenting on Maradona. i will be going for Germany in the final, mainly because i forgot how much i enjoy watching Klose play, and how good he really is
:thumbsdown: Dislike x 1000

Messi is better, so there.

Rasberry_Face_plate_x.jpg

If Argentina lose I'd hold personally responsible camerashy. :p

Can't have a European team winning again. Too many arrogant euro tossers think the World Cup should just be 28 teams from europe and Brazil and Argentina as special 'guests'. :thumbsdown: :rage:

Back