Skip to main content

10 PILOT WEEK

Interview with Dave.......not his real family
This show is way more polished and properly produced than any of the rest of pilot shows
I like this

At the start of Dave, you're described as a legend of Australian comedy. Is that accurate?
I've been called a legend, but I've also been called a veteran. And a hack. The reality is somewhere in there.

Dave O'Neil with TV wife Emily Taheny and children in his new comedy Dave.
How close is the show to your real life? Is it almost a documentary?
It's almost a documentary. We shot it about a year ago, so the kids are older in real life, but the whole thing about getting the kids to school, going to gigs, getting stuff thrown at me, doing stuff for the school fete, it's all based on reality. The incident with Brendan Fevola happened to me … with another footballer. At least we got a funny story out of it because at the time it wasn't funny at all.
Is having kids good for your artistic practice, or is it a terrible drag?

I think it's been good, it's defined me as a comedian. Before I had children I was part of a generation of comics who were all similar, we talked about being on the dole, McDonald's, going to nightclubs. Once I had kids it gave me a different perspective, and I became more … mainstream, for want of a better word. But now most comics have kids. Or most middle-aged comics have kids.
Are they ripping you off in that sense?
Yeah, they got the idea from me, what can I say?
Your show has a brilliant cast. You're married to Emily Taheny, are you living every Australian man's fantasy there?
I had to pick someone my actual wife would be happy with. She really likes Emily, so that worked.

So your wife had veto power?
Well I had to keep in mind who she liked and who she didn't like. She was very happy with Emily, because she finds her very funny.
You've also got Dave Thornton in there. Another famous comedic Dave. Were you the first Dave?
I think I was. I started before Dave Hughes, Dave Thornton … when he started Dave Hughes was trying to be David Hughes, which didn't work. I was definitely one of the original Daves of comedy, for sure.
You're a pioneer of Australian comedy. Do you feel like you've broken ground for generations of comics?

Broken ground 'cos I'm fat, maybe. I've broken something. I dunno if I've broken ground, but I've had a good time. Nah, I've just done a lot of gigs, worked in different areas.
Is being on TV as wonderful as I think it is?
It's good fun. But then you get a lot of people coming up to you in the street saying, "I know you from somewhere, did you work in a bank in Frankston? Were you a teacher in Dubbo?". "I'm a comedian." And they always go, "No, that's not it. Did you ever work in a dentist?". You've gotta be on TV a real lot for them to know who you are.
Sounds like hard work.
Yeah.

As a stand-up comedian who's now made a show named after yourself, are you more the Australian Seinfeld, or the Australian Roseanne?
More Roseanne. Without the tweets. I like both of them, their comedy, but I'm more blue-collar than Seinfeld. I just don't stray into the right-wing area like Roseanne.

...ha!... what a brilliant interview that was ... thanks for posting it kxk... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
Rove being live........it could go over time ......sounds like he has a lot of cool guests/cast/stuff

See you back here tomorrow, cheers, have a good weekend

...well that was fun my friends... I really liked 'Dave' and 'Taboo' but am not so keen on any of the others although I liked the girl in 'Kinne'... I can take or leave him... but that's about it so far... all the other shows were basically rubbish... especially you-know-who's lol!... as I said... I'm so looking forward to Roves show tomorrow night... thanks for posting all... cheers.

Rove being live........it could go over time ......sounds like he has a lot of cool guests/cast/stuff

...yes I hope so kxk... all shows that Rove makes are winners so I'm so hoping that it takes off like a Rocket off the launch pad... Australia is so needing a Variety show like this... overseas stars and Bands could do with a platform to strut their stuff 'Live' AT NIGHT... apart from the stupid boring idiotic Morning type shows... I so hope that it gets the green light for permanency as a show kxk... we need it so bad... it's been a long time coming... cheers.

...I'm watching 'Russell Coight' at the moment and just then he said "with my Eagle eyes I could smell that something was wrong!" lol!... I quite like the show but his 'mishaps' are telegraphed at times but overall... it is a fun show regardless... you do get the odd gems throughout the show lol!... cheers.

...with this 'Russel Coight' show there are quite a lot of side gags that people are probably missing... deliberate editing cuts for instance... he just stepped out of his 4WD and as his foot stood into Red sands of the Outback but as he walked away from the car he was in a field that had lush grass lol!... and... when he was in the Outback he was rambling off the Latin names for various plants in pure Encyclopedic vocabulary but his mouth on screen was obviously saying gibberish lol!... so another deliberate Editing cut there so that he sounds 'intelligent' lol!... funny as!... it's little gems like this that makes me like this show lol!... cheers.

They repeated Drunk History again tonight. It still looked absolutely terrible.
The bits I saw of the Dave show were at least marginally funny, but not strong enough for a full series.
They must be pinning ALL their hopes on the Rove show now.

Caught up on Taboo and Dave.

Taboo was very good. There’s nothing about it I’d really want to change. I guess it’s akin to You Can’t Ask That, but you get to know the people a little better I think. If Ten doesn’t pick this up, I think ABC and SBS would be mad not to.

I guess I like the concept of Dave more than the actual episode. The acting/timing/pacing all seemed a bit off the mark to me.

Back