Skip to main content

…MR STICKYFINGERS (sort of) BOWS OUT FOR A WHILE…

It must be a brain thing, like I said, logic told me that it ought to be harder walking uphill than downhill, but it was the other way around, a bit weird. The brain seems to still be the great unknown, about the body.

As for surgery, I think any major surgery has pain at the time. They gave me 10 Oxycontin when I left the hospital and I only ended up taking 9 of them. I dont like to take too much of that kind of stuff, I was on Tramadol for years, for the pain. I researched the knee replacements on Google and You Tube, before the operations and the fact that they basically saw your legs in half is a bit daunting :). Cut off at the knees, so to speak :). What I also found, was that a lot of people had one knee done and found it so painful, that they didnt go and get the 2nd knee done. I wanted to eliminate that option, thats why one of the 1st things I asked my surgeon was would he please do them both at the same time. Fortunately, the Gods smiled on me and he said he preferred to do both at the same time. Again, my logic was, one lot of pain, one hospital stay, one lot of inconvenience, one lot of rehab, plus I didnt have much option about the exercising, if I hadnt have done the work, I wouldnt have ever gotten mobile again. There are some brilliant surgeons out there, we truly live in the lucky country.

...having them both done at the same time to avoid a second lot of pain/hospital time and rehab is such great logical thinking tedfthis!... lol!... that just makes so much sense... I'll make sure that I remember that if I ever have to have it done lol!... they saw your legs in half?????... :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:... WTF???... my god I hope that I never have to have that operation done lol!... I'm glad that you stuck with the exercises afterwards though... it would be terrible to be totally immobile... thanks for sharing that tedfthis... cheers.

...having them both done at the same time to avoid a second lot of pain/hospital time and rehab is such great logical thinking tedfthis!... lol!... that just makes so much sense... I'll make sure that I remember that if I ever have to have it done lol!... they saw your legs in half?????... :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:... WTF???... my god I hope that I never have to have that operation done lol!... I'm glad that you stuck with the exercises afterwards though... it would be terrible to be totally immobile... thanks for sharing that tedfthis... cheers.

I am so happy and joyful that you've made such a spectacular recovery, Mr. S. I haven't posted anything to you in this thread for a while so it's long overdue but I have to say, I am so relieved you're back with us in top form (posting wise, at least) and get a lot of encouragement and good vibes when I see your posts. you're a lovely, lovely man.

I had bi-lateral knee replacements 2 years ago. I was lucky to find a surgeon who was prepared to do a bi-lateral because the majority won't. I insisted because, much like tedfthis mentioned, I wanted it all over and done with and knew I'd probably be reluctant to go back for a second.
I don't regret it one bit even though I still have issues walking and especially down hill and stairs but at least there is no agonising pain and knee lock ups now.
As Tedfthis related, it is pretty much a double amputation. I was on Oxycontin and endone for 2 weeks after the operation then just the endone for the next three months. I can imagine you would relate to having to force yourself to do the physio and excercises. I dreaded it each and every day because it was tough and quite painful but if you don't do them, you can get lesions which can mean a return trip to the hospital for more surgery.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. LOL

:cat:

I am so happy and joyful that you've made such a spectacular recovery, Mr. S. I haven't posted anything to you in this thread for a while so it's long overdue but I have to say, I am so relieved you're back with us in top form (posting wise, at least) and get a lot of encouragement and good vibes when I see your posts. you're a lovely, lovely man.

I had bi-lateral knee replacements 2 years ago. I was lucky to find a surgeon who was prepared to do a bi-lateral because the majority won't. I insisted because, much like tedfthis mentioned, I wanted it all over and done with and knew I'd probably be reluctant to go back for a second.
I don't regret it one bit even though I still have issues walking and especially down hill and stairs but at least there is no agonising pain and knee lock ups now.
As Tedfthis related, it is pretty much a double amputation. I was on Oxycontin and endone for 2 weeks after the operation then just the endone for the next three months. I can imagine you would relate to having to force yourself to do the physio and excercises. I dreaded it each and every day because it was tough and quite painful but if you don't do them, you can get lesions which can mean a return trip to the hospital for more surgery.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. LOL

:cat:

...how kind of you to say such nice things like that about me lynne-ann... **Sticky blushes**:shy:... you are so sweet...

...oh wow!... that sounds so horrid thinking of it as a double amputation doesn't it?... but my sweet darling wife has had two hip replacements now and to think of what they can do with modern medical procedures nowadays it probably isn't that much of a problem for them to literally amputate your legs to make them better does it?... I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well now as with tedfthis... and yes... having to force yourself to do the exercises is quite hard to do but it is so important to keep doing them isn't it?... I am one of the most stubborn people on this planet at times so motivating myself was not that hard to do luckily for me... never say die... thanks for your post lynne-ann... much appreciated... cheers.

...the day has arrived at last!... after 3 months of doing my exercises every day... at 3:00 this afternoon I have to go to my Physio Doctor that is in charge of my case... I can't wait to show her that I am able to straighten my left arm and can almost turn my hand around to the 'palms up' position... (that's still a fair bit of work to do yet to get it there though)... my walking has improved only a tad bit better than it was last time I told you all about it but I am managing to refine the movement to a more 'flowing' swing at least... the left leg and foot is taking a lot longer than I imagined it would to come around to my standards that I set myself a while back but I WILL get it there in the end... it's still going to take time... (even I have resigned myself to knowing that lol!)... I'm just impatient I guess :rolleyes::whistling::)...

...my sweet darling wife said to me this morning... "I've never seen anyone so keen to go to a Doctor before!"... haha!... (I guess she has a point)... it's a new experience for me for sure lol!... anyhow... I'll let you know how it went later... cheers.

You're not a Taurus the bull too, are you Mr S -:)

...no my friend... I was born on 30/06/1953... the last day of the financial year... (my dad used to tell me that I was a Tax dodge!... lol!... true story!)... so I'm a Cancerian... cheers.

...hi all... a little update on how I went at my Physio Doctor's today...she was quite amazed at my progress in both my left arm/leg /hand and foot movements... she was pleased that I can straighten my elbow completely and move my hand around so far (but not quite completely)... she made me walk back and forth a few times and was happy that I had refined the leg swing and movement as far as I have managed so far but did notice that my knee wasn't quite working as good as it could... she had the main Physio woman there (who was actually my first Physio trainer in Windsor Hospital that had transferred to Penrith Hospital lol!)... and they concluded that my left calf muscle is making me limp as I walk because it is 'too tight'... it needs certain exercises done on it until it loosens up to allow my leg to function properly...

...I told them that I had been doing all of the exercises that they had allocated me every day (bar a couple of days or so) since I had left Hospital 3 months ago and they said that I had done well but the exercises that I need to do I have to do with their Physio to correct me when I do wrong... hence the visits...

...my Doctor could see that I was proud of myself because she said so to my sweet darling wife... lol!... she laughed when I told her that I had my car license back the day after she signed the form saying that I could as long as I get the clearance from an optometrist also... (I passed his test 100%... not to brag lol!)... it didn't seem to surprise her somehow... she's booking me in within the next two weeks to start the Physio exercises to fix up that calf muscle once she has talked to my GP about it...

...my sweet darling wife mentioned that since the stroke I have had dreams every night and am talking (or rather mumbling) during my sleep... the Doctor asked if I went into deep sleeps or just light sleep... she's thinking of possibly giving me some sleep apnea tests to measure my sleep patterns ... (I hope not... I had that in Hospital and had to sleep with all these wires attached to pads glued on me and attached to a machine)... it's awful... a few years back after my first stroke I wore one for three days to bed which makes sleep almost impossible so god knows why they bother lol!... but!... if it's got to be done then I guess I'll do it :rolleyes:... lol!... anyhow... that's all to report at the moment... my Doctor was really happy with how far I've come so far and that's all that counts for me lol!... (she could've given me a lollipop or something for all my hard work!... lol!)... I'm really stoked to put it mildly!... I'm in a 'happy! happy! joy! joy!' mood big time!... something like this below lol!... cheers.

mysnooop2.gif~c200.gif snoopy.gif snoopy3.gif

Yes!

Yes! He does his crazy song on these boards and somehow brings us along for the ride.

Hope nothing too serious at work, and you were able to enjoy the rest of the day.

One demanding, selfish person, but I'd rather focus on all the others who were just lovely. It doesn't hurt to be nice to people, but it feels so fabulous when someone is nice to you

One demanding, selfish person, but I'd rather focus on all the others who were just lovely. It doesn't hurt to be nice to people, but it feels so fabulous when someone is nice to you
Absolutely agree! No one knows what another person may be going through. Showing kindness is free and its contribution has a positive lasting affect.

My grandparents tell me so many stories, I guess a way to make us see the world in their own way and teach us valuable lessons. My grandmother once told me a story about a mother in her village that people would gossip about and throw harsh words towards because she left her husband and a month later her husband died. The village blamed her my grandmother said so they isolated her from their lives. This woman tried to kill herself and my grandmother was a nurse at the time treated her and told me she found burn marks on her body and huge scars all over her back. She said while she already had gone through a hard time, she was continuing to get a beating from everyone else and not shown any compassion or kindness that she felt her life was not worth living anymore. This lady thanked my grandmother and other nurses and doctors and said they had treated her so gently she forgot what it was like to be cared for. That was the first time my grandmother had seen the lady smile. The reason she told me this story was because she wanted me to understand that a small act of kindness can make a difference in those that need it the most. Anyways my point was that I do agree that being nice makes one feel fabulous, I just had to ramble on as usual haha

Absolutely agree! No one knows what another person may be going through. Showing kindness is free and its contribution has a positive lasting affect.

My grandparents tell me so many stories, I guess a way to make us see the world in their own way and teach is valuable lessons. My grandmother once told me a story about a mother in her village that people would gossip about and throw harsh words towards because she left her husband and a month later her husband died. The village blamed her my grandmother said so they isolated her from their lives. This woman tried to kill herself and my grandmother was a nurse at the time treated her and told me she found burn marks on her body and huge scars all over her back. She said while she already had gone through a hard time, she was continuing to get a beating from everyone else and not shown any compassion or kindness that she felt her life was not worth living anymore. This lady thanked my grandmother and other nurses and doctors and said they had treated her so gently she forgot what it was like to be cared for. That was the first time my grandmother had seen the lady smile. The reason she told me this story was because she wanted me to understand that a small act of kindness can make a difference in those that need it the most. Anyways my point was that I do agree that being nice makes one feel fabulous, I just had to ramble on as usual haha

Your grandmother is a wise woman.

Your happiness is infectious @Mr Stickyfingers :)

It is, isn't it? I had a bad day at work, and I came to this thread because I knew Sticky would make me smile

Yes!

Yes! He does his crazy song on these boards and somehow brings us along for the ride.

Hope nothing too serious at work, and you were able to enjoy the rest of the day.

...aw you guys!!!!... :shy:**Sticky blushes**:shy:... you are both too kind!... you leave me speechless and believe me... there's not many people in the World that are able to do that... trust me!... lol!... cheers.

...delcan... don't let that selfish person get to you... you're going on holidays to the USA soon so get your mind into a happy thought stream... you deserve it!... have a great trip...

...sweetgeek... what a fabulous story!... as delcan said...your grandmother is a wise woman indeed!... it just goes to show that there is always somebody worse off than yourself so you need to embrace what you have going for yourself at all times I believe... as with my stroke... I was paralysed all down my left side and thought that I would never walk again but as I said earlier in this thread... the guy in the bed beside me lost more than I did when he had his stroke... he had no paralysis whatsoever but he lost his memories and couldn't remember his own son or daughter or even his own sister... to me that is by far worse than what I was going through in my opinion for sure...

...in the 3-4 weeks that I was up in Katoomba Hospital with him... the other guy in the bed opposite him and myself kept talking to him all the time...looking at his family photo album that his son and daughter had supplied to him and we kept on asking him who this was and who that was... over the weeks he slowly began to remember who they were... whether it was due to us doing that with him or whether it was just him naturally remembering it on his own accord we'll never know but it was so good to see him call his son and daughter and also his sister by their names before I left the Hospital... he even remembered his grandchildrens names!... it was good because he had finally understood who they are in his life too and that was so great to see...

...he couldn't even remember what foods were... what a pen is used for... he couldn't read... so many things... apparently he will remember everything again over time... it will be a long time... but he will remember them again according to the Doctors... which is so good for me to know... he was such a nice guy... we (myself and the other guy in the bed opposite) got his contact details from his daughter and intend to visit him when he gets back to what he was... his daughter is going to contact us when that happens... I'm so looking forward to that day...

...anyhow...I'm so thankful where I am in life at the moment... I wouldn't swap it for anyone... strokes and all!... I have learned so much in the last few years because of them... Life is such a privilege as far as I'm concerned... something that we should never waste... I'll shut up prattling on now lol!... so thanks for the great posts sweetgeek and delcan... cheers.

...hi all... a little update on how I went at my Physio Doctor's today...she was quite amazed at my progress in both my left arm/leg /hand and foot movements... she was pleased that I can straighten my elbow completely and move my hand around so far (but not quite completely)... she made me walk back and forth a few times and was happy that I had refined the leg swing and movement as far as I have managed so far but did notice that my knee wasn't quite working as good as it could... she had the main Physio woman there (who was actually my first Physio trainer in Windsor Hospital that had transferred to Penrith Hospital lol!)... and they concluded that my left calf muscle is making me limp as I walk because it is 'too tight'... it needs certain exercises done on it until it loosens up to allow my leg to function properly...

...I told them that I had been doing all of the exercises that they had allocated me every day (bar a couple of days or so) since I had left Hospital 3 months ago and they said that I had done well but the exercises that I need to do I have to do with their Physio to correct me when I do wrong... hence the visits...

...my Doctor could see that I was proud of myself because she said so to my sweet darling wife... lol!... she laughed when I told her that I had my car license back the day after she signed the form saying that I could as long as I get the clearance from an optometrist also... (I passed his test 100%... not to brag lol!)... it didn't seem to surprise her somehow... she's booking me in within the next two weeks to start the Physio exercises to fix up that calf muscle once she has talked to my GP about it...

...my sweet darling wife mentioned that since the stroke I have had dreams every night and am talking (or rather mumbling) during my sleep... the Doctor asked if I went into deep sleeps or just light sleep... she's thinking of possibly giving me some sleep apnea tests to measure my sleep patterns ... (I hope not... I had that in Hospital and had to sleep with all these wires attached to pads glued on me and attached to a machine)... it's awful... a few years back after my first stroke I wore one for three days to bed which makes sleep almost impossible so god knows why they bother lol!... but!... if it's got to be done then I guess I'll do it :rolleyes:... lol!... anyhow... that's all to report at the moment... my Doctor was really happy with how far I've come so far and that's all that counts for me lol!... (she could've given me a lollipop or something for all my hard work!... lol!)... I'm really stoked to put it mildly!... I'm in a 'happy! happy! joy! joy!' mood big time!... something like this below lol!... cheers.

View attachment 49222 View attachment 49226 View attachment 49224

Thats great news Mr S. Accept all the praise being offered, you did all the hard work. Congratulations on a good report card.

Now for the elephant in the room............did you ever find out WHY?

In the larger scheme of things, it still might remain an unanswered question. Your attitude and recovery are the most important things.

As someone else wrote, its nice to read good news, there's far too much shit stuff on the news already.

That Physio woman isn't stalking you is she :).

Thats great news Mr S. Accept all the praise being offered, you did all the hard work. Congratulations on a good report card.

Now for the elephant in the room............did you ever find out WHY?

In the larger scheme of things, it still might remain an unanswered question. Your attitude and recovery are the most important things.

As someone else wrote, its nice to read good news, there's far too much shit stuff on the news already.

That Physio woman isn't stalking you is she :).

...hey tedfthis my friend... my Physio Doctor told me that she had ordered all possible tests done on me in Katoomba Hospital at that time that she could get done... she said that my Neurologist Doctor... ( who I see in the next month or so)... may get me to do another test or two and then that's all they can do basically... she said yet again that I may end up being part of that 30% of people that never end up finding out just what caused it... if that is so then I guess that I will have to learn to live with it?...

...haha!... maybe she is stalking me lol!... nah!... why would she be interested in an old fart like me?... lol!... but you never know eh?... lol!... (she is pretty too I must admit)... thanks for your post my friend... cheers.

...hey everyone... I'm sorry to drag this thread up to the first page again but I just wanted to post a final comment to cap this thread off with... (speaking of caps... I still can't figure out as to why I posted this thread in capital letters in the first place?... the medication I was on?... only being able to type with one hand perhaps?... a 'look at me! look at me!' moment?... haha!... who knows eh?)... lol!... anyhow... the reason for this post...

...I did my last ever Physio appointment today!... they have told me that I've reached my full potential as far as having to go to the gym anymore... they attribute it to my adherence of doing my home exercises continuously and regularly as having a lot to do with it... (gee I'm glad that I'm so pig-headed stubborn sometimes... never give in... never say die!)... as my sweet darling wife always says to me.... "for once Peter your stubborness has helped you in your life and has not been your undoing!"... lol!... (god bless her heart!)...

...I have been to my Neurologist and she has said the same... there's not much else that I can do except watch my diet and exercise... I don't need to see her for 6 months now... they still cannot give me a definitive reason for my stroke and still tell me I will be in that 30% of people that will never find out what caused it though... (I'm a tad bit annoyed with that)...

...my Cardiologist put me through some rigorous 'stress testing' on the treadmill just recently too and is really pleased with my results saying that because I have never smoked (never even taken a puff in my life) that I'm in great health... and that has had quite a lot to do with it...

...my GP Doctor is more than happy with my blood test results just recently and said that everything is looking really good... so basically I'm sort of in the peak of my health with all of my Doctors!... WOOHOO ME!!!!!... lol!... but... I was in the peak of health just before my 2nd stroke in February so I'll have to keep that in mind... a good diet and exercise is the key so I'll definitely be doing that properly this time around believe me lol!... I'm very proud of myself from going from totally paralysed down my left side to what I have achieved today in the last 10 months of this whole ordeal.. I have learned so much about myself that I didn't know that I had in me to be totally honest... as I said before... never give in... never say die!...

...thanks to everybody that contributed to this thread with their words of encouragement and many words of advice and thankyou for always being able to cheer me up when I had quite a lot of down moments... your kind words really did help me through this... it's amazing to think that so many people that I really don't know that much (apart from what I have learned from posting with you all) were able to lift me up with their participation on this thread... there are too many of you to thank so I'll just give a collective...

elvisthankyou1.gif david.gif anigif_enhanced-10203-1396435686-5.gif tumblr_lst0lbXkXf1qzjix8.gif

2.gif 5.gif 4.gif

6.gif 3.gif 7.gif

...I hope that all of those Gifs cover everyone that made this thread what it was and I hope that if nothing else that it helped some people understand what a person that has a stroke goes through when it happens to them... I know that I received quite a few PM's from people that had family friends or friends that had had a stroke so it was quite the eye opener for me at least... again... thankyou everyone... cheers.

Back