Skip to main content

‘Big Brother: Secrets & Lies’

TBH I don't have a problem with Emma being similar to Davina and actually I really hope she is... However there is a fine line between acting as a Davina clone and having a naturally similar style of presenting...

I'm looking for Emma to have the same naturally flowing, easy going, and laid back style that Davina had... Emma obviously looked up to and admired Davina and has a great respect for the role Davina played in BB so I wouldn't mind if Emma used some of her catch phrases either...

I think the biggest difference should be is that Davina will always be "Big Mother" and will always be the ultimate BB presenter... In many ways you never really knew where BB stopped and Davina began... Emma on the other hand is the ultimate BB FAN... I'd like to see her fill a "Big Sister" role taking on a slightly cheekier approach... Kind of like a bratty younger sibling would act but still acting in a way that isn't annoying and professional manner... Sort of like she is doing or reveling things in a way that maybe she shouldn't... Or asking questions of the evicted HM's that Davina wouldn't have but still in the same friendly manner Davina would have... Even the way she talks to the HM's on eviction night could be a lot more laid back without having a full-on conversation... Overall I see her being more of an Ultimate Insider or sibling figure rather than the shows matriarch and that is how she can avoid seeming too much like Davina...

I agree with that. Brian Dowling was okay for a while, but the viewers got a bit bored of him. and yes, I do hope that Emma Willis will be like Davina for the similarities and that she is not as camp in the presenting field as dowling.

Brian did well to begin with but he really needed to improve quick and sadly he didn't. Emma has gotten stronger and stronger over the years. I'm not a huge Emma fan, she right shit me off on Big Brother's Big Mouth. But she sure will be better than Brian.

i hope in the new season they bring back the Davina-esque tours of the house

rawr I'm getting soooo sooo excited. I'm pissed I'm away for two weeks in July and doubtful I'll be able to watch ugh.

Overall I think this was a decent launch... The shedding of the suitcases seemed a bit lame but the Peoples Puppet idea is interesting enough... I do think they should have got everyone in tonight and saved the suitcase thing for BBBOTS... So far I like everyone except the last guy (Dexter?)... I had a pretty good laugh when Emma shut him down... In fact I wish they would have canned the short interviews and had the HM's just walk in to the house...

I'm also wondering if they are going to continue with the Head Housemate idea and if so exactly how it will play out over the series... If it does I'm thinking it will be along the lines of how BBAU used to treat the FNL winner... The HH will influence nominations, dish out chores, and will have access to a luxury bedroom...

The house looks great on screen, except for the DR... I really can't stand the blue background... Interesting to see that the DR is in fact upstairs this time... With the blue background it has a BB3 vibe to it... I'm really pumped to see what is behind some of the doors... I'm also curious what is beyond the marked doors under the stairs... I know one is the store room and I'm thinking the other is probably a task room... I'm also really glad they let Emma do a house tour... She was obviously very nervous but she handled it well and it was great to see an unscripted side to her...

The opening was interesting but was ruined by Marcus's booming announcing of Emma's entrance... I also wish they would have changed the outdoor set... I get that the flash isn't going anywhere but it would have been nice to see it match some of the other changes they've made...

It was a good launch. Emma did well. House looks fab. The Puppet could be good, it's nice to see something different.

I'm a bit meh about the housemates though TBH. Sallie has potential. Not really liking the others very much at all though. Bring on more.

I always fast forward the little interviews the host does on stage with the HMs. They're pretty pointless. I've not watched them since the first season I saw.

It was a decent launch let down by the housemates. I can't relate to any of them and in fact most of them seemed like vile skanky creatures that in the real world I would avoid. I hope that's just the vt's and there is much more depth to these characters. Maybe the ones arriving tomorrow will be more likeable?

Emma was ok, but seemed a little breathless during the house tour. I wish she could convey more excitement like Davina though!

Not entirely sure about the twist yet, but it’s certainly a good hook for viewers. Hopefully they've planned this well for the long game.

So last night was the lowest rated launch to date... TBH I'm not surprised given the lack of promotion... That being said its the series itself that is going to increase viewership... They need another Nasty Nick or Fight Night incident that is going to get people talking and attract them to the series...

The series had plenty of promotion - it's just some so called fans don't realise it's no longer a show that can pull in 6-8m for the launch, so hench the promo budget isn't going to stretch as far as it did. Even C4 only did billboards etc. in the early years but people misremember that as the norm.

Anyhow, agree with most here - Emma was ace, HMs were lame and the twist was meh. The second batch of HMs tonight are marginally better and the same with the twist tonight too - but just can't physically watch the highlights with Marcus any more. The accent is one thing, but it's little things like saying "Dexter and Sallie are gossipping in the garden" rather than just "Dexter and Sallie are in the garden" which really winds me up, so ended up watching Davina on C4 instead of the highlights.

I'm 3/4 of the way through live launch 2 and it already feels a lot better.

Oh and I love a woman who knows how to sit graciously

vlcsnap-2013-06-15-11h05m48s146.jpg

Launch was alright, Emma did great though. but I will miss her on BBOTS as the new one was a bit of a train wreck. Maybe I've missed some gossip, but where are Jamie and Alice? Don't care much for Alice but loved me some Jamie.. will he be back?? Also the twist with Michael, I wonder how long it will be able to run it's course, certainly someone will suspect what is going on pretty quickly. Hopefully the new batch of housemates improve the vibe a bit, been looking forward to this season but it's starting out a bit rocky.

Launch was alright, Emma did great though. but I will miss her on BBOTS as the new one was a bit of a train wreck. Maybe I've missed some gossip, but where are Jamie and Alice? Don't care much for Alice but loved me some Jamie.. will he be back?? Also the twist with Michael, I wonder how long it will be able to run it's course, certainly someone will suspect what is going on pretty quickly. Hopefully the new batch of housemates improve the vibe a bit, been looking forward to this season but it's starting out a bit rocky.

Alice is hosting a radio show on Radio1 and I think Jamie moved on as it seems that BBBOTS was more of just a paycheck...

As for Micheal I think as long as the HM's are willing to play along with it he'll remain... Although with the way BBUK brings in new HM's it might be easy to replace him once he's gone... I think the hardest thing for them will be getting around the HM's figuring out that he can't be nominated... They've made a point of saying that he is not a HM and he himself has said that he is not there to avoid eviction...

I think overall there are a few things that were a little bit crap but I wouldn't say it's been "rocky" by any means... The only thing that bothers me is that they've said a lot of crap about the HM selection and TBH I really don't see a significant change... It's still types that Richard Desmond is trying to pimp across his magazines and the likes... I think it's an improvement, but it's still a far cry from what was said prior to the launch...

Last edited:
MUCH better show tonight... And I love the wrench they threw in the twist... That being said I don't think they plan on having Micheal in there long... At the most he can only go on for 2 to 3 weeks although I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped him at the end of the week...

It's also very disappointing that there is no dedicated live feed again this year... As much as I slagged off the HM's in my last post it does seem like a far more interesting bunch than last year... And it's good to see a decent majority of them are "older"... I'm almost 29 and while I might act like a twat at times, I'm certainly not a spring chicken anymore... Hopefully with some of the more pampered HM's they have they are really going to be serious about the show being tougher this year... Or at least when they are dishing out luxuries that the tasks are going to be tougher than the silly games they've been playing over the past few years...

I'd also like to see more of how BB is handling Micheal... He must have been prepped for tonight earlier in the day although I remember on The Mole, that contestants said that looking back they could almost tell at times that the mole would often times be longer with the producers or that their room was always the closest to the production base... I think it would be interesting to see exactly how much time they are spending coaching him or if he is left to his own devices...

I gave up on BB12 US after the first episode so I have no idea how the producers handled "Annie"...

I'd also find it interesting if BB kept some secrets from Micheal as well just to try and provoke a reaction from him and make him appear more natural to the HM's... You can tell some of them are suspicious of him...

Last edited:
I thought Emma did great.

The housemates..... a bit 'meh'

I agree with Kingston that Michael won't last long.... producers never really know how to pan things like this very well.
But I guess at the very least the "one of the housemates is a plant" theory has finally been done.

and I totally agree with nixie...
...I will miss her on BBOTS as the new one was a bit of a train wreck.

BBOTS was a disaster. And I have loved Rylan for ages.... but it was woeful...

Back