Skip to main content

Shameless on SBS

^ you have been good - but I need a spoiler now - which is the funniest Maguire?
I'm guessing mum, she's been pretty funny so far. But the brothers are so dumb they're funny too.

It's one of the brothers - Shane. Think he appears briefly in series 3, but the character isn't developed at all until the family take a regular role in series 4.

The mother is pretty funny too, and they focus more on one of the other brothers last night too - and that was pretty funny too.

As I say, the series is doing very well so far this year - it might not be as dramatic as some of the episodes from earlier series, but IMO is probably the funniest series so far, mainly due to the Maguires.

I liked Kev and Veronica nearly breaking up. It had me all teary, but I wish Kev were a better actor. Veronica is brilliant. When Steve and Fiona nearly broke up they were both hysterical in tears. Brilliant actors, must be even harder when you're really shagging each other too.

Hee, I thought Kev acted like a typical bloke this ep- like a stunned mullet , self obsessed , selfish, and clueless! I thought it was one of his better acting efforts.
Veronica was amazing, her facial responses to what was happening around her were incredible. She tore my heart in the shop, and when her knees gave way when Kev asked Roxy about the kid.
The end credit kicker when the card ended up in the bin was a jawdropper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Carl is a dickwit. The writers don't make him particularly likeable and we've had no insight into him yet. Not really, anyway.

unfortunately, I fell asleep last monday night during Shameless... dam SBS for putting it on so late at night....
I like Carl, I enjoy how he is getting more screentime, and he seems like any 13 year old boy, wanting to know more and more about sex, cracks me up

ROFL at politically correct mother Sheila so determined to support her "gay" daughter that she was disappointed that she wasn't! I looove this show!

Only Sheila could call her fake lesbian daughter's bluff like that, and not even mean to. She's so funny. I did feel a little sorry for the bar woman though (forgot her name).

How bloody excellent is this show? How come is is not highlighted in TV Guides? This show kicks every other drama comedy off the map. Everyone that I have told to watch this show is now hooked and loving it. This week was a cracker, the best episode in series three so far.

Karl growing pot for the maguires, Debbie supporting him because he is showing iniative and bringing money into the household.
Frank supporting Sheila and her "lesbian' daughter. "Karen sucks .....!"
What a crack up then sheilas dissapointed that Karen is straight but excited at the thought that one of the twins may be lesbian because Frank has never seen her suck her thumb. Hilarious.
Looking forward to this week, with Marty being the focus. Marty is a crack up but think we will be feeling sorry for him this week. Can't wait. Hope Veronica returns to, I just love the way she can crack the shits with Kev and just about anything that doesnt suit her.

When is the Maguire's charm bracelet gonna re- appear? If anyone seen the episode Frank picked up Mrs. Maguires charm bracelet when Cash's store was robbed. THe charms being for everytime the husband came out of jail. The Maguires ain't happy and Frank, because he forgot Sheila birthday unwittingly pulled the bracelet out of his pocket at the wrong time and sheila thought it was her gift and he had no choice but to give it to her. Was probably gonna pawn it for an arvo at the Jockey. Think it will play a major role in the series very soon.

I also have been waiting to see Ma Maguire headbutting Sheila at the pub when she spotted the bracelet on her wrist!

nice show tonight, i'm really getting back into it.. next week's show looks fantastic!

although i did think that debbie's story could have been resolved better: as in the narrative could have talked about not being in a hurry to grow up - i thought that angle would reflect frank's alcoholism, sue's spendomania, marty's pyromania, kev's phobia and carol's loneliness.

Still chuckling over the Gallagher nuptials two days after it aired...Debbie's dream dress a la bo peep, Lip doing a Frank as he imagined his future, and the fact that Sheila knifed her ex being the sanest thing she's ever done!

Series 4 has just come to an end here, tying up a couple of lose ends but mainly setting itself up for the fifth season.

In some peoples opinion Shameless will always struggle to reach the heights of series 1 & 2, but IMO the fourth series has been better than expected and it is still the best hour of drama on TV each week. It's also been getting it's highest ratings aswell - and as I've said before, one of the funniest series too!

Some minor, non-plotline teasers:

Due to the cast changes there had been three versions of the opening already this year - but with the final episode we got a brand new opening sequence with a new monologue from Frank, and new titles incorporating a much broader range of characters - many of whom have been regulars since the first series (like Karen and Yvonne), but never credited in the opening. If this is a one-off or permanent we don't know - but it is in line with the plans to widen the focus of the show on to the wider community.

A fantastic final sequence too - leaving viewers with a real feel-good feeling.

It's also been great this year to see Carl get more storylines, and we've heard a bit more from Liam too.

The Maguires have been better additions than I'd expected and provided alot of the comedy for the series.

We've seen a bit more from Yvonne too this year too - and the final episode has set her up as one of the central characters for next year as well.

Can't say much more without spoiling it - and don't want to really as I'd rather you watched it for yourself when you get the chance.

Hopefully SBS will let you set it sooner than usual - and with C4 doubling the episode quota, I'm hoping it'll return earlier than usual here too!

Last edited:
Thanks to dundee_mark on the Digital Spy forums, the new Shameless opening monologue...

No specific cast references now - so no spoilers here:

Tickets this way for the Chatsworth Express.
Come and watch pikeys making a mess

of the lives they were given by him upstairs
and kids they're convinced aren't actually theirs.

What sounds on earth could ever replace
Kids needing money or wives in your face?

Cause this people reckon, and me included,
is why pubs and drugs were kindly invented -

to calm us all down, to stop us going mental,
these are Chatsworth estate's basic essentials.

We are worth every penny for grinding your axes.
And you shit on our head, but you pay the taxes.

Imagine a Britain without Chatsworth's buccaneers,
who would come on your face for the price of a beer.

Make poverty history...cheaper drugs now!
Make poverty history...cheaper drugs now!

Hehehehe...scatter!

OK, the brand new titles - complete with new monologue - have made their way to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCTdi-TYrA8

They are from the end of season 4 and contain clips of all the main cast - so as you're a year behind they'll be the few missing who left earlier in the series and a couple of new additions you might consider spoilers - though to be honest if you don't look that closely it won't matter.

(Or you can just lookaway and listen to the monologue - that itself doesn't reference particular characters now)

The ones who have left are:

Kev, Veronica, Marty, Sue, Sheila

Secondly, the absolutely brilliant final scene of season 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbSiRQqlXgg

Again, be aware of spoilers. In fact it's one spoiler of one plot which runs throughout the series.

More details...

It's the wedding of two characters who have an on/off relationship throughout the series

and a bit more info on that...

It's Karen and Jamie Maguire getting wed.

Finally, no spoilers here - just an award winning promo used last year by C4 to promote the third series of Shameless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58nTb2Erkbk

A Gazillion thank yous for this post, Brekkie Boy! Series 3 has just ended its run here all too soon, and youtube has all the season 4 episodes as well as these great clips! O Happy Day!!!

can i get the series on dvd? I just cant stay awake for some episodes, so I miss it :( It has to be the best show ever, cheers brekkie boy for the spoilers, I love them!
I absolutely love Sheila, what a fantastic actress she is. Debbie is beautiful, and Carl, he makes me laugh so much. Frank reminds me of my own father, oh dear.

Series 1-3 have all been released in the UK, but I don't know about Australia.

Glad you appreciate the "spoilers" - never quite know whether to put them here with you being a year behind so I'm always cautious.

Another YouTube clip - god knows why he's labelled "A Scottish family", but it's another opening sequence used for most of series 4 until the last episode - though considering they changed it at the end of the year it seems a bit stupid they bothered with this one at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGVmYe-QpU&NR

It's the traditional opening monologue, but has been re-recorded by Frank and adapted due to a few cast changes...

Monica and Norma replace Sheila in the titles, with the Maguire family replacing Carol and Marty. It was used from episode 4 to episode 7.

The series 3 opening was used for the first episode, with a slightly altered version excluding Kev and Veronica used for the next two episodes before this one was introduced. And then the brand new one I posted above was introduced at the end of the series - making it the fourth of the series.

P.S. If you are checking them out on YouTube would love to hear your views - though probably best spoiler tag them as technically this thread is about the airings on SBS.

Last edited:
Apparently Ch4 are getting the Shameless episodes removed from YouTube, so people have gone private. I don't know if that's the same for the clips.

Has anyone caught the Shameless podcast? I think they've only put one out so far, of Debbie and Carl talking about swearing. I found it went on a bit long, but some of it was really funny. (Check their website or iTunes)

And a big thanks to BB for all the info during Season 3.

Back