Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

Confirmed for January 2023. New Promo:

Is it just me or based on the promo does this feel like it’s going to be more “scripted” reality? Looking back at Idol in its prime you can still have high production values while still having the show feel natural. This just seems way to setup for my liking.

I mean back in the day if you didn’t know how the show operated behind the scenes you’d honestly believe the judges saw every single person who auditioned for the show… This however is very much set up to be a TV show.

Is it just me or based on the promo does this feel like it’s going to be more “scripted” reality? Looking back at Idol in its prime you can still have high production values while still having the show feel natural. This just seems way to setup for my liking.

I mean back in the day if you didn’t know how the show operated behind the scenes you’d honestly believe the judges saw every single person who auditioned for the show… This however is very much set up to be a TV show.

That was actually my first impression after watching the trailer as well. It didn't feel as authentic as it used to be, so I'm glad someone else picked up on it too.

I hope that's not the case, but now I'm starting to worry 7 have fucked with it a little too much. With it going up against MAFS, I'm concerned it might not rate. Presumably nostalgia will somewhat help draw good numbers though.

That was actually my first impression after watching the trailer as well. It didn't feel as authentic as it used to be, so I'm glad someone else picked up on it too.

I hope that's not the case, but now I'm starting to worry 7 have fucked with it a little too much. With it going up against MAFS, I'm concerned it might not rate. Presumably nostalgia will somewhat help draw good numbers though.
I have no doubts nostagia will pull in decent numbers to start off with but we'll see how long it lasts.

I don't get to watch a lot of Aussie TV but from what I've seen of Seven all their shows seem to have this overproduced shiny finish to them that leaves them feeling souless.

That said I'm really not sure Idol works as a modern show... It really was a product of it's time. Even if they had gone for a more authentic tone a lot of what made Idol entertaining just wouldn't fly anymore. The time for embarassing auditions and harsh critiques has long since passed and watching talented singers and sob story after sob story can only carry the show so far.

I have no doubts nostagia will pull in decent numbers to start off with but we'll see how long it lasts.

I don't get to watch a lot of Aussie TV but from what I've seen of Seven all their shows seem to have this overproduced shiny finish to them that leaves them feeling souless.

That said I'm really not sure Idol works as a modern show... It really was a product of it's time. Even if they had gone for a more authentic tone a lot of what made Idol entertaining just wouldn't fly anymore. The time for embarassing auditions and harsh critiques has long since passed and watching talented singers and sob story after sob story can only carry the show so far.

Haha 7 fuck everything it touches. The only good thing I can say about them is their Olympics coverage was great. Everything else is woeful.

I'll tune in and hope for the best.

One week to go. I’m ridiculously excited for this. I think I’ll watch this live and watch Survivor on catch up!

I can't get excited about it, because the relentless ads seem to show ALL dreadful singers murdering songs.
Even the ones who are supposed to be good (Kyle says one is 'zacly' what he's looking for) are horrible oversinging 'interpretations'.

I just feel like all the hype for this was months ago when the initial promo was released. If it had launched 2-3 weeks off the back of that it could have been huge, but months later it feels like the moment has passed.

That said fans of live TV somewhat need it to succeed. It's ridiculous how many TV formats created to be broadcast live are now pre-recorded months in advance by the Aussie networks, and Seven in particular. They're trying to get credit now for reviving something they themselves largely killed off.

P.S. See on Mediaspy despite all the noise about "live TV" being back only the results show will actually be live with the performance show filmed the night before it airs, which immediately strips out all of the live TV energy.

Colour me thick, but I don't understand the timeline of this. The performance shows will be filmed the night before, so semi-live? The results shows will be live? But the top 50 performed before an audience in Rooty Hill on October 26th, I just read in a different article. So... did they all go home, stack on some Xmas kilos, and then return to wherever they film it for start of February or so, once the audition shows have screened?

He has nice things to say but I’m still not sure this is really going to capture people’s attentions the way it did in the 2000’s.
Yeah there’s no way it will rate like it did then … but to be fair, nothing does!

I’m still hoping it does really well. I still love watching American Idol and I hope enough people will love watching new Australian Idol so that we get at least a few seasons out of it! 🤩

Colour me thick, but I don't understand the timeline of this. The performance shows will be filmed the night before, so semi-live? The results shows will be live? But the top 50 performed before an audience in Rooty Hill on October 26th, I just read in a different article. So... did they all go home, stack on some Xmas kilos, and then return to wherever they film it for start of February or so, once the audition shows have screened?

Yeah they always used to prerecord auditions and then the Sydney week where they make them do group and duets and solos etc. In the past they had semifinal live shows voted by the public to make the top 12 and then weekly live shows with weekly eliminations.
It appears they won’t have the live semi finals. And they won’t be doing one elimination per week. But yes the auditions and Sydney week are pre recorded.

It appears they won’t have the live semi finals. And they won’t be doing one elimination per week. But yes the auditions and Sydney week are pre recorded.
Thanks for this. I still don't get the timing of it. October seems so long ago.

Oh, just read something in the comments section of the article linked earlier, that explains it: they will be eliminating people for a time before life shows! Der!

Last edited:
Just watching now on catch up after watching Survivor.

I already LOVE it. There’s something different and special about Idol and they’ve already captured it imo. The simplicity of the auditions, the judges seem to be meshing well and they are showing the good among the bad. I don’t think we need negative TV but having some less than amazing acts helps the great to shine.

Back