Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

I think a hung parliament seems most likely at this stage, I can't see either party getting 76 seats at this point in time.
It's safe to assume the Coalition's best hope is forming a minority government. They'll lose some seats to independents and Labor so there's no chance of winning a majority on their own. At current poll numbers (53-47% TPP) Labor would still win a majority of the seats. And even if they fall short, they could form a minority government with support from a couple of Independents/Green(s).

In terms of likelihood of the possible outcomes (purely my opinion ofc):
  1. Labor majority government
  2. Labor minority government
  3. Coalition minority government
I can't see a Coalition majority outcome at all. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me on the arse PvO-style.

I will be voting for no one. Coalition don't deserve a vote. And I can't vote Labor when Daniel Andrews is still a premier.

Silly. It's a Federal election, not a state of Victoria one. If people don't like Dan they can vote him out later this year. It's also silly to assume anything would have been any different in Victoria if the other party was in charge. They just had the national policy and unfortunately, the failure of the national strategy hit them worse. Then the Federal policy that declined vaccines meant everything got dragged out for another year.

The idea that any major party state Government would have just let the virus rip in 2020 or 2021 before high vaccination rates is frankly absurd. As is the notion that would have been a good thing or better alternative at the time.

Silly. It's a Federal election, not a state of Victoria one. If people don't like Dan they can vote him out later this year. It's also silly to assume anything would have been any different in Victoria if the other party was in charge. They just had the national policy and unfortunately, the failure of the national strategy hit them worse. Then the Federal policy that declined vaccines meant everything got dragged out for another year.

The idea that any major party state Government would have just let the virus rip in 2020 or 2021 before high vaccination rates is frankly absurd. As is the notion that would have been a good thing or better alternative at the time.
Let's face it, Dan Andrews runs Labor.

…I’ve got to the stage where I’m going to vote for Albanese just to piss off Morrison… he’s become too smug and complacent… he is so dismissive of people that point out his lack of giving a shit about sweet fuck all about what his Government is up to… “that’s not my job!”… um… yes it is… you were running the whole fucking country you maggot!… you’re at the top of the Pyramid you turd… you never accept any responsibility and are so quick in claiming any glory that you can steal from others that actually earned it… you are a complete lowlife that deserves to fade off into obscure oblivion… do us all a favour… fuck off!… oh that’s right … its ’not your job’ to… is it?… cheers. 🤬😡🤯

…I’ve got to the stage where I’m going to vote for Albanese just to piss off Morrison… he’s become too smug and complacent… he is so dismissive of people that point out his lack of giving a shit about sweet fuck all about what his Government is up to… “that’s not my job!”… um… yes it is… you were running the whole fucking country you maggot!… you’re at the top of the Pyramid you turd… you never accept any responsibility and are so quick in claiming any glory that you can steal from others that actually earned it… you are a complete lowlife that deserves to fade off into obscure oblivion… do us all a favour… fuck off!… oh that’s right … its ’not your job’ to… is it?… cheers. 🤬😡🤯
On ya Sticky!

This is kinda where I'm at as well. I'm not thrilled by Albo, but man, Morrison is a fucking twat. I don't think I have ever disliked a politician more in my life. I find him smug, inept and untrustworthy.

I live in a very safe Labor seat, so voting independent won't really effect the result, but it's still a possibility for me. I'm actually heading overseas on Friday for 3 weeks, so I need to hurry up and decide by Thursday to get my postal vote in..

66994224-F460-4FA6-B9F6-C53FB9A58060.jpeg
…I sure do wish that Volodymyr Zelenskyy could be on our oncoming Ballot papers… I vote for him… cheers. 👍🙂

9883C5C1-287D-4E40-8692-216E11C4825F.jpeg

…hopefully he will be gone soon with that stupid egotistic smug grin of his… Albanese might end up being fucked too but if Labour get in and fuck up for the next 3 years and cause complete chaos and leave Australia in even more ruin then if the Liberals win the next election then they might not be so complacent anymore and try to actually fix Australia without the smugness that Scomo has now?… the Liberals might actually be humbled by the experience?… naaaaaah!… who am I kidding… they’ll always be the same… just don’t have Scomo as your leader anymore… he’s a total maggot… cheers.

This is kinda where I'm at as well. I'm not thrilled by Albo, but man, Morrison is a fucking twat. I don't think I have ever disliked a politician more in my life. I find him smug, inept and untrustworthy.

I live in a very safe Labor seat, so voting independent won't really effect the result, but it's still a possibility for me. I'm actually heading overseas on Friday for 3 weeks, so I need to hurry up and decide by Thursday to get my postal vote in..

It benefits minor parties and independents by putting them first on the ballot for the funding they get. I live in a safe Labor seat and I don't think I have ever put them first. Even though most of the time my preferences have been ordered in a way that benefits them.

The only time I have preferenced the Libs above Labor was 2001, because I was 18 and from a posh private school background. Definitely didn't vote for them the next time after Howard became a war criminal. The fact that society as a whole just lets that slide still pisses me off to no end.

The libs did also get a higher preference in protest to the knifing of Kevin Rudd. Although done knowing I was in a safe Labor seat, so my vote still wouldn't help elected Abbott. I also knew the Lib candidate, so that was an added benefit. I don't think I would have done it if I wasn't in a safe seat because Abbott was awful. Then turned out to be even more awful that anyone could have predicted.

Then we got Morrison... yikes. The epitome of someone with no interest in being Prime Minister except for being in the job. Rising to that level of status. No vision. No interest in Governing. Just being in the job. I think it was Turnbull who described him as having no interest in anything. He knew nothing of the world, other countries, foreign policy, history and didn't care to know anything about it.

View attachment 57725
…I sure do wish that Volodymyr Zelenskyy could be on our oncoming Ballot papers… I vote for him… cheers. 👍🙂

If you knew about him before Feb 2022, you wouldn't be saying that. He's been a disaster for the people of Ukraine. Yet because of Putin's invasion, we get nothing but propaganda at a level I have never seen before. Where it's a weird form of propaganda where everyone knows it's ridiculous but because the invasion is tragic, everyone is just kind of ok with it because we support Ukraine. Not realising we are slow-walking into nuclear war and desperately need an off-ramp to peace.

With people watching the nightly news, seeing a story about Russia's horrible war crimes. Going, "that's terrible." Then watch a story about Australia's best ever soldier committing war crimes. Never pausing for a second to reflect on it. Then onto a story that we may need to invade the Soloman Islands because China. Nodding along.

We live in the dumbest timeline.

I don't know anything about Zelensky except that he was a comedian. Putin probably thought he'd be a total pushover, but it turns out he has seriously underestimated both him and the Ukrainian people.

Back