Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

BB5 is miles faster paced than BB4, and the previous other series for that matter. There is so much going on so early on and it's fantastic. The three point twist is interesting, but I wouldn't tell the housemates the nominees until after the FNL winner exercises the twist. Nelson and Constance going early most definitely would have happened regardless, and seeing Nelson get no car was ever so satisfying. Only issue is FNL goes for 70 minutes then 50-70 minute live evictions with some daily shows being 45 minutes, then same situation with nominations and uncut. The Friday-Monday part is a slog to binge and is definitely gong to slow me down but I'm having fun.

A really strange thing but the FNL buzzer is a noise that is so cemented in my childhood memory that I instantly have flashbacks to primary school when I hear it. Such a weird sensation.

Watching Gianna try her best to make a move on Logan David to no avail is so hilariously embarrassing to watch I am loving it.

The Liars eviction a low point of BB Aus for me. Took not just the housemates but the viewers for fools, all for a quick headline - and with little thought for the housemates affected. Most of all though it was just a waste of the Bedsit style idea, taken from BBUK the week before.

The Liars eviction a low point of BB Aus for me. Took not just the housemates but the viewers for fools, all for a quick headline - and with little thought for the housemates affected. Most of all though it was just a waste of the Bedsit style idea, taken from BBUK the week before.

What makes it scream fake is when Big Brother asked each of the housemates in the diary room to essentially dob. Constance and Nelson already confessed in the house why tf did all of this have to be done? Dean was already called out and it just seems like he was thrown into it last minute so they could turn it into an eviction. If they had a real genuine issue with this Dean wouldn’t have gone in on night one.

Constance and Nelson already confessed in the house why tf did all of this have to be done?
They needed fluff content to help fill in that hour after the Daily Show I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Whether it was all staged or not, Ten probably wanted a full hour show to make more money from advertisers than if it was only 30 minutes (which was really all that was needed).

They needed fluff content to help fill in that hour after the Daily Show I guess. 🤷‍♂️
Thats how I pretty much interpreted the whole thing. Every year there needs to be filler for the first Sunday show and on both Nine and Ten its literally something different every single year. A nominations show probably makes more sense but then of course what to do on the Monday then? The later Ten series as well as 2013 did good with I suppose by using the live show to introduce new housemates.

I found the clip of the 2007 phone call from the BBUK perspective, It was the Final 4 or 5 here (Day 97?) Can't remember where Joel was though, He should be there.

Was just looking at the BB07 finale articles I'm about to post in the other thread and realised oh that's right Zoran and Joel both went in a Double the previous week. I was probably thinking Joel went with Travis in the second last day for some reason but it was Billy and Travis, leaving Zach and Aleisha for the Finale.

BB01 Housemates:

Andy: I enjoyed her from the very beginning. As much as she holds the title of being the first evicted housemate ever from BBAU. It does sadden me that she was booted out so early. She was unapologetic about who she was and I would’ve loved to have seen her past her dominatrix mannerisms. She is one of the main reasons I don’t like the vote to evict scenario. Andy going first left quite a void in the house. One of my top faves of the season.

Sharna: I didn’t mind her, not particularly one of my faves. She definitely didn’t exactly fit in with the younger people. Besides that, her dummy spit was quite entertaining. I had a feeling she was someone who wasn’t going to last long term.

Todd: He’s mostly forgettable other than him being known as the guy who doesn’t wear underwear, doesn’t wash his hair, doesn’t shower, doesn’t wash his clothes and mainly stinks. He seems nice and did some work for the show afterwards. But yeah nothing else really.

Gordon: He was a stand out for me personally. I enjoyed how he always wanted to go against the grain on wanting to lighten up the house. His friendship with Sara-Marie made me like him even more. He seemed like the only other person who understood how she felt in those first few weeks. However, his thing for Jemma was a little cringey considering she was never really into him. He was someone I wanted to see last longer. RIP.

Rachel: She didn’t give anything. She’s
a great panelist and personality now. But back then… ehhh she was glad to not have been accepted because she missed her boyfriend??? Sure I guess.

Lisa: She was kinda camp in the sense that she didn’t really do anything but that in itself got people talking about how she’s so boring and she’s a fence sitter. In that sense she does seem like a nice person. She ended up being collateral damage against Blair, Sara-Marie and Christina. She’s basically the equivalent of “go girl, give us nothing”.

Peter: He had redeeming qualities in the house. Which consisted of his friendship with Johnnie, he was entertaining and I did find him physically attractive. But overall was quite distasteful. Him & Christina were not the relationship that served. I feel like the “dancing doonas” really solidified why he possibly wanted her in bed with him all the time, even though she didn’t feel like it. There were times in which he came across as condescending towards her. He knew that she was a reserved person and sometimes spoke over her. His eviction was the first time where an absence was felt. He was a main part of the house for a long while, so when he went it was kinda weird.

Anita: In 2001’s reality tv standard, she was needed. Being an intruder, I can’t imagine how hard that would’ve been. The house dynamics were clearly set in stone and the boys wanted nothing to do with Anita, as her only friend seemed to be Sara-Marie. Her explosive argument with Blair & Johnnie will never not be iconic. She already felt out of the group, not just that she was also seen as being inadequate to the task at hand. I love that she dragged Blair, that comment will always be remembered & then she got him again in her goodbye message. She had the house in a chokehold even weeks after she departed. Truly iconic.

Johnnie: I heard about Johnnie prior to watching the season and watching him on screen, I found myself even more confused about the whole “Johnnie Rotten” thing. I really wonder if it came from stereotyping, maybe even to someone who’s a minority. Because Anita’s comment to him was something to think about. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed him. He was the glue that almost kept the house together and him lasting this long made sense. I can’t believe that he was considered an actual TV villain. It’s such a deluded statement created by the audience.

Jemma: She was a very likeable person all round. Her wanting to be image focussed was her own prerogative. The conversation regarding her not wanting to be naked on camera was so unnecessary and very disrespectful. Being naked isn’t a problem for me, but if someone else isn’t about that, then that shouldn’t be an issue in any capacity. Again this seeped out into the public as they evicted her for being “self obsessed”, which is just such a weird way to view especially since they already harped on about how Lisa was “so boring”.

Christina: I had a general liking to Christina the whole time. I mainly felt for her, she was a part of the group. But she never really seemed to have “fit in” properly so to speak. She had a subtle underdog story, wanting to overcome the pressures of being more opinionated and assertive. I always found her endearing and found myself rooting her to have a major breakthrough moment. It’s just sad that most of it was clouded by her relationship with Peter, not exactly meshing well with the other housemates and in which got her nominated 6 times in total. She was a main character without being a main character at the same time of that makes any sense.

Sara-Marie: I’ve always know Sara-Marie to be the “bum-dancing girl”. But watching her all the way through she’s seriously way much more than that. The moment I saw her I knew production had struck gold. She was polarising, but in the best way possible. As much as I love Andy, I genuinely can’t imagine the season ever being the level it is if Sara-Marie were to be the first evicted. She’s a person who knew how to light up a room, just by existing. Her bum dance, pyjamas, bunny ears, laughs, noises all made a unique personality I don’t think anyone in the world could ever recreate if they tried. But most importantly, she was a down to earth person. Sara-Marie is a rarity, and to have a bond with her is only something you must cherish. The vote was so close between her & Blair to evict, I believe she would’ve won if it wasn’t for that. I mean she had the entirety of Australia in a chokehold. The world shifted when she graced our screens.

Blair: A lot of the time I found Blair to be a follower. The men in the house were typically critical of the women, whether they were too loud, too quiet, too on the fence and he quickly fell complacent to it all, even involving himself in it all. He had definite moral high ground and didn’t like to believe he was ever in the wrong. Especially about the Jemma situation. Even though he apologised after the fact, him mentioning “I don’t like being wrong” kinda gives a slight indication that what he said about Jemma being modest was in the right. But quickly did he go back on his moral high ground when it came to Anita. His close friendships with Ben & Johnnie were a redeeming quality in him. Besides that he was quiet & reserved himself and didn’t seem to be dynamic television. I did generally find him attractive at times. But really that’s about it. I can largely understand why out of him & Ben why Ben would take out the win.

Ben: About 2/3 Ben was massively a background character and someone who I rarely thought of when watching. It wasn’t until around Anita’s eviction that he started to have some sort of traction. Even then it still was quite minimal compared to some of the established personalities left in the house. From what I can remember of Ben, I was generally fond of him. His friendship with Sara-Marie made me like him a little more than I did before. He was very diplomatic and never in any conflict with people. He always kept the peace a lot of the time. Do I think there is a better winner overall… yes. But between him & Blair, Ben was the more satisfying winner. Ben mainly benefitted from never being nominated for about 7-8 weeks and the “vote to evict” format, in which largely present polarising personalities being evicted early on. Little did we know that the character archetype Ben presented all through this season would be a running factor in future winners.

That’s my overall thoughts on BBAU 2001. Pretty enjoyable overall and finally get to move into a new season. I’ve heard that the general opinion of the 2002 season is pretty boring. As I’m finishing this I’m currently on the first eviction right now.

From 5:06 on this entire daily show is just fucking fantastic. Gianna puts on her nurse outfit again and continues to claim "I was dared too, they made me" and yet was outstayed by Glenn lmao. This girl just loves male attention and is desperate for it and WILL NOT ADMIT TO IT! And then on top of this Christie is drunk off her face being told off by Big Brother, meanwhile Glenn is pashing Geneva in one room and then Michelle in another. I would kill to turn back the clock and watch this season live at my age now holy fuck this is good fun. Uncut is so good, probably the best of all five seasons. I already went in with high hopes and my opinion is increasing at rapid speed, and Vesna has not even entered yet.

For a tv show whose producers seemed to be really angry at Constance and Nelson for lying to them they really liked to bring them on the show for a chat with Gretel when unnecessary didn't they? Instead of interviewing Gianna you bring in the three evicted housemates and ask them their thoughts on their replacements when they won't even be living with them? Gianna also just spend the whole segment sitting awkwardly whilst the other three dominated the conversation. But again so satisfying seeing her being given the car in front of Nelson. The car thing although was cool to see reactions from when it started, but when it's expected it just makes the housemates come across as selfish.

That intruder Rachael coming in and going off like a firecracker on night one really really does make Vesna almost seem like she would be quiet. This season is just fantastic every episode I watch.

That intruder Rachael coming in and going off like a firecracker on night one really really does make Vesna almost seem like she would be quiet. This season is just fantastic every episode I watch.
I genuinely can’t wait to get to where you’re up to. I’m on week 4 of BB02 and it’s so flat in terms of cast dynamics. I would usually watch a week’s worth of episodes in a day with ‘01. But this I’m struggling to get through half. Especially with the quality being equivalent to of a potato. The times I’m literally invested is when Gretel’s on screen😭😭

I genuinely can’t wait to get to where you’re up to. I’m on week 4 of BB02 and it’s so flat in terms of cast dynamics. I would usually watch a week’s worth of episodes in a day with ‘01. But this I’m struggling to get through half. Especially with the quality being equivalent to of a potato. The times I’m literally invested is when Gretel’s on screen😭😭
2002 is hard I agree. I was lucky to be isolating at the time so I literally had nothing else to do. Just honestly trick yourself into pretending like it is the year 2002 and that modern reality TV does not exist. I try to go into every season with the frame of mind being I'm watching this as if no other reality show exists and that I haven't seen it before. Once 2002 is finished it's really easy from there.

I am pissing myself right now, in the Day 29 eviction show when Gretel crosses to the house and they're discussing the toilet paper issue Kate says "can we have a loan" but I thought she said "can we have a line" and Gretel seems to have thought the same thing and just went "a what?" in a very concerned tone. I'm laughing too hard.

I really, really didn’t like Rachael at first but I came to appreciate her and she made for good tv, I kind of wish she stayed longer.

Ugh just skip it. It’s seriously so painful and boring.

I really, really didn’t like Rachael at first but I came to appreciate her and she made for good tv, I kind of wish she stayed longer.
I hated her my first watch. I found her to be irritating as irritating could be. I still don't like her on this rewatch but I wish she stayed longer too purely for the entertainment. She is so strange. She comes across as psychologically unwell. I just can't believe this woman actually was on this show.

Afer watching from 5:30 for the first time I have never looked at the hokey pokey normally again...

I would’ve considered it but then i watched the life saver task. For once… the drama was *chef’s kiss*
I enjoyed the life savers task. It's probably the last good task for a long while though. 2002-2004 have really poor weekly tasks.

Back