Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

I think the sadness I saw was a lack of self esteem and confidence. Which was not necessarily a direct result of Jo's actions in the house.
That could be why he stuck with her. Some people probably would stick by their partner and be happy to move on if the weren't super confident in themselves.

I just had a big wtf moment. Watching the double eviction show and Gretel is interviewing the loved ones of the nominees. When she gets to Daniel's boss I realise that I recognise the voice very well. I then see the chyron and see that Daniel's boss in 2003 is my boss now at my current job lol. That was just a very weird moment.

yikes poor Saxon, evicted with 18.83% and next most (as if it's not Vincent) was 18.72% which would probably be like a couple hundred votes? The season would have fared better had Vincent left over Saxon. With no Saxon in the last few weeks feel quite dull from what I remember.

Everything I watch early BBAU I’m reminded that a Canadian company CanWest owned Channel 10 until 2009. They also owned the network (Global) that current airs BBCAN until 2010. I’m shocked and mildly annoyed at how long it took Canada to officially join the BB family.

I have no memory of this haves and have nots task in BB03. No memory of Chrissie having an issue with Jamie taking her bed. No memory of this task what so ever.

Been watching a little of this myself. On one hand I can't believe it has already been 15 years. On the other so much has changed with social dynamics and what is no longer acceptable.

Seeing the housemates casually say they are the "token Asian," "token gay," etc. and everyone just accepting that like it's normal is strange in 2021. Even some of the language and slurs that were used, which was not said with any malice, would be considered offensive today.

Seeing the housemates casually say they are the "token Asian," "token gay," etc. and everyone just accepting that like it's normal is strange in 2021. Even some of the language and slurs that were used, which was not said with any malice, would be considered offensive today.
Much like Kath & Kim, Brokeback Mountain had just come out and had Oscars Buzz just before BB06 started, they were likely (and even David himself iirc) trying to jump on the whole 'oh here we have the 'Gay cowboy' schtick on top of that.

I remember David trying to cheer up Elise when she was having that self-aware moment she felt she was being bland and a wallflower and not showing enough of her personality in the dynamic of the house by comparing her to being the spice in an Asian dish or something along those lines. Oy.

Just watched Jamie's eviction. How in the world did he get evicted with 50% and Vincent only received 31% after the whole week he had with the have not task. What in the world did the audience have against Jamie to evict him that harshly over Vincent? Did the audience just want the intruder out? Did Vincent's family campaign once again to save him? Makes no sense to me.

Much like Kath & Kim, Brokeback Mountain had just come out and had Oscars Buzz just before BB06 started, they were likely (and even David himself iirc) trying to jump on the whole 'oh here we have the 'Gay cowboy' schtick on top of that.

I remember David trying to cheer up Elise when she was having that self-aware moment she felt she was being bland and a wallflower and not showing enough of her personality in the dynamic of the house by comparing her to being the spice in an Asian dish or something along those lines. Oy.
That line from David did not age well. And he definitely leaned into the shtick at times. But it was a different time and some of the unintentional ignorance has eroded over the years fortunately.

Speaking of Elise, whilst she did have her moments of insecurity, I don't think she was portrayed that accurately on the show. She was very sociable and started conversations with everyone. Elise was not some shy girl.

39:40 - Big Brother is announcing the nominations and accidentally says Daniel's name instead of Reggie's and then you hear Peter Abbott giggle while he corrects it. It was more funny because of how unexpected it was. Peter Abbott voicing Big Brother sounded a lot more like a producer just simply speaking to the house (because really thats all it is) compared to later editions where they flanderize the Big Brother character.

39:40 - Big Brother is announcing the nominations and accidentally says Daniel's name instead of Reggie's and then you hear Peter Abbott giggle while he corrects it. It was more funny because of how unexpected it was. Peter Abbott voicing Big Brother sounded a lot more like a producer just simply speaking to the house (because really thats all it is) compared to later editions where they flanderize the Big Brother character.
Especially in the Kris Noble era the BB voice sounds a like they’re constantly about to tell off HM’s/interrogating then… I’d find it hard to speak with. Peter Abbott gives the right kind of authority but still warm enough to open up to.

Holy shit Vincent got some heavy boos when he was evicted. And Gretel was very snappy at the crowd like a school teacher telling them to be quiet. A lot of this has escaped my memory. I probably didn't focus a lot on first watch of 2003 because I do not remember anything of the have/have not task in weeks 9 and 10, nor do I remember Vincent being booed? As for Gretel, I didn't watch all of the series in order so I didn't get to see the progression of Gretel's let's say "comfort" in hosting the show. The difference from her in 2002 and 2003 is quite noticeable.

The Have Not task is one thing I do remember, mainly I think as it was so poor in comparison to the rich/poor divide other countries did. Also wasn't that when they had Chrissie overhearing comments in the camera run?

The Have Not task is one thing I do remember, mainly I think as it was so poor in comparison to the rich/poor divide other countries did. Also wasn't that when they had Chrissie overhearing comments in the camera run?
The cameraman comment happened in week 10 either during the end of the task or after it just ended I can't remember which. I actually enjoyed it as it at least kept me interested after all the season's storylines had just suddenly ended. I did feel very bad for Chrissie, she didn't sign up to ben humiliated by crew on the show, I would have felt very uncomfortable to shower again. I'm up to when Anushka from BBUK4 is in there. I wonder why they brought her in? Were ratings declining at this point? Did they have poor faith in the remaining cast in giving them quality content? Was it planned from the start? So many questions I have.

I'm up to when Anushka from BBUK4 is in there. I wonder why they brought her in? Were ratings declining at this point? Did they have poor faith in the remaining cast in giving them quality content? Was it planned from the start? So many questions I have.
According to the newspaper articles I posted in the Scans and Memorabilia Thread, It was always on the drawing board, but probably timed for whenever a lull started to happen to boost ratings. I remember (and the article mentions) that UK had done a swap or imported Housemate from the African BB as an attempt to boost ratings. Anouska also had a bit of a reputation behind her as the first evictee - apparently she was loud and jokingly suggested she and another housemate start doona dancing to avoid eviction.

The articles also were theorising rumours We were gonna send Jo over there, but that never happened. The only other time after this in the TEN era we had a link with BBUK I can think of was the Telephone in the BBAU2007 house. They set up a 10 minute phone call to the BBUK8 house when we were down to like the final 6 or something, and that Brian guy was a BBAU fan and just kept going on about Aleisha being 'That 'Walk On Water' Girl!' from like week one or two (obviously that's all he was able to catch before going into the UK house as it started just after ours).

Nadia the winner of BBUK5 also came in 2005 to visit the Australian house
Oh yes that's right. again it was right near the end I think it was only the Final 3 when Nadia visited? I found the clip of the 2007 phone call from the BBUK perspective, It was the Final 4 or 5 here (Day 97?) Can't remember where Joel was though, He should be there.

Oh yes that's right. again it was right near the end I think it was only the Final 3 when Nadia visited?
Yeah it was final three. I was inspired after that to start watching BBUK5, and also after doing research I was very interested in Stuart as I found him really cute. I never watched more than just the launch show. I do plan on a BBUK watch on day but that would probably take me a year at least. I'm only watching BBAU so fast because I'm going to the Gold Coast for New Years so I'm self isolating before then so I don't have any risk of not being let in.

According to the newspaper articles I posted in the Scans and Memorabilia Thread, It was always on the drawing board, but probably timed for whenever a lull started to happen to boost ratings. I remember (and the article mentions) that UK had done a swap or imported Housemate from the African BB as an attempt to boost ratings. Anouska also had a bit of a reputation behind her as the first evictee - apparently she was loud and jokingly suggested she and another housemate start doona dancing to avoid eviction.
Yes, the UK and Africa did a swap with two housemates that year and a couple of others had also taken place (Spain I think was the first to do one with either Brazil or Argentina), so this felt like Australia trying to find a way to bring in an international housemate when they had nobody to swap with. Anouska shouldn't have been evicted in week 1 in BB4 but was never a classic housemate in the making - just marginally more interesting than what turned out to be the dullest group of housemates in the shows history.

A shame Australia never got to do a proper house swap but the seasons just never aligned. BBUK did put a fake Australian housemate in the house as part of their "Fake Week" twist which did briefly get the forum excited at the possibility back in 2007.

I think they did have a phone call between Brian and Alesha for real towards the end of BB07. This may have been the week Vid and Vibes ended up on BBLB too.

Last edited:
Back