• Better competition

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • The competitive format

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Pre-recorded months ago

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters
I think the next season will fare better with the old favourites returning
It’s pretty obvious that the success or failure of a series rests with casual viewers is the All-Star cast enough to pull them back in? Would casual viewers even remember them? What is the series up against? Will casuals lose interest before the series even starts?

Like BBVIP I think they’re over estimating thier ability to sell the show to viewers and relying heavily on a gimmick to pull viewers in.

I don't think there is any chance of the next series being scheduled to air on a multi-channel. If it flops when it does air it might get pushed later, but ultimately I think it'll rebound to the 450-550k mark, saved by them including the All Stars. Without them it might have suffered.

Will be interesting how early they confirm the All Stars featuring - they seemed to tease out the announcements of the cast for months for the main series, and I imagine it'll leak (officially) anyway. I don't think it matters so much compared to VIP where the returning stars are somewhat known quantities and it's unlikely an announcement will be made inbetween the cast reveal and premiere that takes attention on to the next series.

It’s pretty obvious that the success or failure of a series rests with casual viewers is the All-Star cast enough to pull them back in? Would casual viewers even remember them? What is the series up against? Will casuals lose interest before the series even starts?

Like BBVIP I think they’re over estimating thier ability to sell the show to viewers and relying heavily on a gimmick to pull viewers in.

I think Masterchef last year helped suggest that it will work. Masterchef was on a major decline averaging around 650,000 for the 2019 series to then bump up to almost 1.1 million for the all stars season. Many of the contestants were from almost 10 years ago as well, but many were popular with audiences enough to interest both causals and long time fans. Big Brother can be presumed to be up against Masterchef and celebrity apprentice which all performed at similar numbers with no direct huge gap. I don’t see how even a casual viewer would not be intrigued to see sara Marie or Reggie or Tim, and I don’t have doubt they’d remember them. Once advertising starts people will be enticed to watch. I except a decent number for the launch. Whether or not people tune in for the whole season will depend on how much people will tolerate the format to watch the entire season. I expect if anything an increase on the 2021 season, however if many of the favourites from past seasons go early then I’d expect the numbers to drop as fast as they came in.

I don't think there is any chance of the next series being scheduled to air on a multi-channel. If it flops when it does air it might get pushed later,
Either way, there's no chance they will run a full length season at 7.30pm on Seven if it's rating in the 300s. One way or another it'll get bumped. The only reason they have left VIP where it is, is because it's a short run season and the ratings year is all but over anyway. At least they haven't replaced it with hilarious cat videos*.

Anyway, as I said, it should fare better enough with likeable favourites returning, unlike the stupid headline-seeking attempts of VIP.

*Actually that would be pretty funny.

I think Masterchef last year helped suggest that it will work. Masterchef was on a major decline averaging around 650,000 for the 2019 series to then bump up to almost 1.1 million for the all stars season. Many of the contestants were from almost 10 years ago as well, but many were popular with audiences enough to interest both causals and long time fans. Big Brother can be presumed to be up against Masterchef and celebrity apprentice which all performed at similar numbers with no direct huge gap. I don’t see how even a casual viewer would not be intrigued to see sara Marie or Reggie or Tim, and I don’t have doubt they’d remember them. Once advertising starts people will be enticed to watch. I except a decent number for the launch. Whether or not people tune in for the whole season will depend on how much people will tolerate the format to watch the entire season. I expect if anything an increase on the 2021 season, however if many of the favourites from past seasons go early then I’d expect the numbers to drop as fast as they came in.
I see what you’re saying but I hope you’re wrong.

I see what you’re saying but I hope you’re wrong.
I'm undecided if I hope I'm wrong or not. On one hand I want seven to see that not even former housemates can make this nonsense feel like Big Brother, but on the other I'd like this to rate well to see the theme done again. I have almost no interest in a normal civilian season of Big Brother should it be like this year's edition. The completionist in my however will force myself to watch, but I do agree with what you're saying. You can't mask a terrible show, the housemates novelty will die after a week or two and viewers will be reminded more of what once was and what now is. I can see it ratings well however and BB staying on seven for a while. How I feel about that will depend on how the 2022 season goes. I guess we'll see when it arrives.

I'm undecided if I hope I'm wrong or not. On one hand I want seven to see that not even former housemates can make this nonsense feel like Big Brother, but on the other I'd like this to rate well to see the theme done again. I have almost no interest in a normal civilian season of Big Brother should it be like this year's edition. The completionist in my however will force myself to watch, but I do agree with what you're saying. You can't mask a terrible show, the housemates novelty will die after a week or two and viewers will be reminded more of what once was and what now is. I can see it ratings well however and BB staying on seven for a while. How I feel about that will depend on how the 2022 season goes. I guess we'll see when it arrives.
Even if this series does rate well I can’t see Seven sticking with it that long. If they find something they think could do better they’ll dump BB.

I’ll admit I can see ratings picking up due to the theme but I’m just not banking on it and I’m certainly not hoping for it. Like BBVIP I’d love to see Seven fail at something they thought would be a sure bet.

I think Masterchef last year helped suggest that it will work. Masterchef was on a major decline averaging around 650,000 for the 2019 series to then bump up to almost 1.1 million for the all stars season. Many of the contestants were from almost 10 years ago as well, but many were popular with audiences enough to interest both causals and long time fans.
That’s true. Though IME Masterchef is generally more successful at having its contestants remain somewhat in the public consciousness than Big Brother is. While a few of the MasterChef contestants hadn’t been on the show for around 10 years prior to the returnee season, they had been featured in other TV shows. For example, Poh appeared in MC in 2009, but she went on to have her own cooking show on the ABC in 2010 which lasted several years. She then had a subsequent show on SBS around 2015. Likewise Hayden appeared in MasterChef in 2011, but was later featured on other cooking shows. He served as a judge on the Channel Nine show ‘Family Food Fight’ for 2 seasons n 2017 and 2018 - the second season of which was less than 2 years before he came back to MC. Also, the more popular MC contestants like Poh, Hayden etc continue to get interviews on TV talk shows, radio shows etc long after their MC season ends, usually when they do something like releasing a new cook book or open a new restaurant.

I think the continued presence of some of the MasterChef contestants in the media for years after their appearance on MC helps maintain public interest in them, and makes it less likely that casual viewers will forget who they are. Even if you are the type of person who doesn’t remember anything about Poh’s original season on MC in 2009, you might remember her from one of her more recent cooking shows, and so you might decide to tune in to the returnee season of MasterChef in order to see how she performs. Same goes for Hayden and a few of the others.

Looking at historic BBAU contestants, there doesn’t seem to be as many who have been able to transition into a long term presence on Australian TV after their appearance on BB. Chrissy Swan and Fitzy are probably the most known of the past BB contestants, but I’m not sure how likely they are to feature in this season. Are there many other ex-BB contestants from the Channel 10 or 9 days who have some type of recent TV presence that gives them notoriety beyond their initial BB season?

So I don’t think VIP will be coming back next year. And if this is the trend the next normal season will be the last. Ha! Big Brother only ran on Nine for three years too.

They tried making Big Brother too family friendly then they tried the American format and had the audacity to present it in a pre-recorded format.

When are they going to realise that the best format is the original format of the show? 24/7 access. Warts and all. That is what Big Brother is all about.

Can’t they see this is what people would want to watch? This is Big Brother not the bastardised version we have now.

Which network executive will be brave and admit the original format worked best and go for it?

They tried making Big Brother too family friendly then they tried the American format and had the audacity to present it in a pre-recorded format.
Nine didn't bother with live streams, and when it came to Seven they probably figured "if there's no live streams, why bother airing it live at all?" In a way you can understand that progression.

Verschlimmbessern is a German word which is defined as: the act of trying to make something better, but only making it worse. Definitely applies here.

And when I write my memoirs I'm going to use that as the title.

I don’t see how even a casual viewer would not be intrigued to see sara Marie or Reggie or Tim, and I don’t have doubt they’d remember them. Once advertising starts people will be enticed to watch. I except a decent number for the launch. Whether or not people tune in for the whole season will depend on how much people will tolerate the format to watch the entire season.
I think the trouble too is an eviction every show doesn't really encourage the casual viewer to tune in as if you miss a couple of shows you miss the equivalent of a fortnights worth of the original run, whilst in the Ten era at least you could tune in on the Sunday and perhaps just the Monday or one day later in the week and pretty much know what was going on without watching every episode.

OK I scrolled back and tipped 280k right back on page one. But there's still time!

I agree and I'm slightly optimistic. Masterchef was revitalised by the season with returning contestants, so there's definitely a buzz around seeing the favourites of yester-year come back. With BB spanning two decades and being one of the most popular shows in Australia at one point, I definitely expect casuals to tune in for nostalgia's sake and there will be interest in who returns.

In saying that, it is production and Ch 7's job to retain viewers by making the format tolerable - and that's the part that scares me. The one eviction per episode and rushed format will cause a lot of people and returning viewers to tune out, especially when it's their fav housemate.

Finally! How long ago did I call it?

Wednesday: 295,000

Also ranked 15th in channel 7's target demo of 25-54s beaten by both a 6 year old Adele concert + interview and The Bachelorette.

I think we can safely rule out a return of the VIP format. As for the main show, need to see if they abandon ship at the pavilion after the current production wraps shortly.

You can't mask a terrible show, the housemates novelty will die after a week or two and viewers will be reminded more of what once was and what now is. I can see it ratings well however and BB staying on seven for a while. How I feel about that will depend on how the 2022 season goes. I guess we'll see when it arrives.
Also the sad thing is, if/when it flops, there'll be next to no chance of an All-Stars happening in the correct way after this. It will have already been done, and with most of the same HMs that would've been in any iteration, which is a shame to the future rep of the show.

I still believe that one day the original format may return to our screens. It just sucks that every iteration in between slowly kills, and delays, the prospect further.

Wednesday: 295,000
Just going to point out that the only time BBAU has ever had lower ratings was once in 2014 - and that was due in part to the show airing on Go. Beside that, the ratings have only ever dipped below approx 450k a very small number of times, all of which were during Nine's last season in 2014 (and even then, the season average hovered around the 650k mark). A season of BB has never rated this badly in Australia.

I think that says enough.

Back