Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Better competition

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • The competitive format

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Pre-recorded months ago

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters
Topped out. I think it can still go sub 300k.

I don't think it'll lift for the final as there is just no reason for people to suddenly care. In it's original guise people might have been interested enough to find out who wins even if they didn't watch the show night in, night out, but I just don't think it gets that kind of traction now, especially in it's pre-recorded nightly elimination guise.
I did think it may dip under 300k last night. So I think maybe last night's show might have been good enough for the remaining viewers to hang in for the remaining four episodes.

if you want a ratings hit with this show, they need to NOT listen to the PC brigade. Yes, we dont like homophobes, racists et al. ok granted..but bad people make fun tv

They need to rebrand the show as Celebrity Big Brother.
Make it Live every night and for four weeks.
NOT include network contracted talent
Everyone to be reasonably know to the general public.
that means no influencers.
put in people that are despised by the general public.
forget having people in there who wil foster mateship. have people in there ho will make headlines or start a war in the media.

Imagine having Clementine Ford in the house. Throw in a recently topical person like Craig Mclachlan. There would be fireworks, Clementine vs Anthony Mundine, jeez.
Alan Jones
Leo \Sayer ...and dont give him clean undies.....
Adam Goodes and Pauline Hanson
Imports : Piers Morgan, katie Hopkins
Shron Osbourne, Neil patrick harris who i beleive is coming back for AGT next year.

if you want a ratings hit with this show, they need to NOT listen to the PC brigade. Yes, we dont like homophobes, racists et al. ok granted..but bad people make fun tv

forget having people in there who wil foster mateship. have people in there ho will make headlines or start a war in the media.

Imagine having Clementine Ford in the house. Throw in a recently topical person like Craig Mclachlan. There would be fireworks, Clementine vs Anthony Mundine, jeez.
Alan Jones
Shron Osbourne, Neil patrick harris who i beleive is coming back for AGT next year.
In fairness they do want to appeal to younger markets and the unfortunate side of that is including some influencers to a degree.

In fairness they do want to appeal to younger markets and the unfortunate side of that is including some influencers to a degree.
There are celebrities who appeal to young people who aren't influencers, Cast one of the Wiggles! :D j/k, but people from popular bands or something. Casting from Instagram is lazy, I can imagine producers just ticking boxes looking through there.

There are celebrities who appeal to young people who aren't influencers, Cast one of the Wiggles! :D j/k, but people from popular bands or something. Casting from Instagram is lazy, I can imagine producers just ticking boxes looking through there.
The only reason they really do it is because its probably easy to cast someone from insta then a band. There are some fairly entertaining influencers online. The inspired unemployed are a really funny Hamish and Andy esc duo who would make me enticed to watch. Jessika Power is someone I am loving and interested am. As a younger person I am more inclined to want to watch people I am regularly exposed to, and with that comes people from social media. Seven have been vocal targeting the younger demo for this version of Big Brother and for a lot of people I know my own age, the interest does come from social media people to be honest. People my age didn't even really know who Bert Newton was until he died, or like me until he appeared on BB2013. If you ask a young person who Lucas whitesmith is they're likely to know, ask them who Graham Kennedy was and they'd scratch their heads. So whilst it does appear lazy to cast influencers from instagram, it is going to become the norm for reality TV casting eventually. Love Island is pretty much entirely recruits from Instagram and Tinder, and that is doing well with younger viewers.

Love Island is pretty much entirely recruits from Instagram and Tinder, and that is doing well with younger viewers.
Love Island isn't promoting their participants as celebrities (or "VIPs") though. I maintain it's lazy casting. You cannot convince me otherwise. If you were casting "celebrities" and influencers were ruled out, who would you approach? I don't mean specific people necessarily, but I suggested bands/singers/ musicians. Who else? You'd know better because I'm in the same age range as the idiots casting for BB.

Love Island isn't promoting their participants as celebrities (or "VIPs") though. I maintain it's lazy casting. You cannot convince me otherwise. If you were casting "celebrities" and influencers were ruled out, who would you approach? I don't mean specific people necessarily, but I suggested bands/singers/ musicians. Who else? You'd know better because I'm in the same age range as the idiots casting for BB.
Singers may be hard and those who would probably agree to these shows are either reality show winners or have a niche audience (such as Lime Cordial) At best young people would know recently retired football players or reality tv participants. Unless you go all out into getting international actors, young people won't know many of the celebrities on TV. Whenever its never really spoken about amongst young people I know unless a well known footy player is on it. A lot of these celeb shows result in young people saying "who?" a lot of the time and we physically will not bother to finish the show as we have pretty limited attention spans. Younger people also can't handle movie length episodes, why else are people binging shows like the office over and over again instead? Unless Bailey Smith from the western bulldogs appears on a show I can't see many young people interested lmao.

I think @Zcsund1234 has a point. What is celebrity if not being known. Why do we judge whether the fame comes from Instagram or other means? I spend a ridiculous amount of time on social media and haven’t made a cent. These people do put effort in and work hard to gain following and make money out of it and more power to them I say.
I think this was basically Jess’ point against Dayne.
Funny you mention Lucas Whitesmith. He is best mates with Josh, right?

Funny you mention Lucas Whitesmith. He is best mates with Josh, right?

Yes haha that’s half the reason he came into my mind. But for the most part, Big Brother’s target audience is more likely to tune into seeing tiktok stars and washed up reality tv contestants. Social media is where the money is. I know it’s sad to think of but there’s more market in tiktok and Instagram than a home and away star from 30 years ago, amongst young people especially. It is the way of the world now, youngsters are gonna go where the people they follow go. They’re not gonna care if someone like Patti Newton is on the show, they’re gonna follow their tiktok stars and what they do. It isn’t the best for the purity of the show, but these shows need to keep up with social media in order to not fall behind.

Part of the issue is that it turned from VIP BB to standard BB. Pre-recording makes it worse. You need to be a hard core fan to sit through it. It feels like the second hour of Home & Away with manufactured drama.

Compare to the live Friday night live games in 2005 when things often went wrong!

Alan Jones
The thing is that is exactly what they've done (minus the no-influencers bit, and the live bit of course) - put in a handful of people picked to cause controversy and it has backfired spectacularly. Reality TV has always had villians - but they need to be people viewers love to hate, not just hate. When you cast people with no redeeming qualities, or whom are completely polarising, it just does not make the show fun to watch - especially when it's all pre-recorded so you can't even give the viewers the satisfaction of voting out the people they do hate.

They've cast this show for the media, not for the viewers - and just highlighted how many of the people who the media love to make stories out of are people the population as a whole couldn't give a shit about.

Last edited:
They've cast this show for the media, not for the viewers - and just highlighted how many of the people who the media love to make stories out of are people the population as a whole couldn't gie a shit about
Exactly right. I wonder how they came up with the people they cast. Do the producers have a brainstorming session? Or do they just put the brief out to various agents and see who they come back with and pick from those? It seems like not a lot of thought goes into it so maybe it is the latter. If they really are targeting the younger demo maybe they need to focus better on that. But still PLEASE do better than Instagram hacks. I'm sure they thought they'd ticked off inclusions from all their demos in this cast though. The over-50s will know X, the sports fans will know Y, Millennials will know Z, job done! Right? Right????? :rolleyes:

Compare and contract to the I'm a Celebrity UK cast announced this week - three presenters, one soap star, three sports stars (two current, one former), an ex-reality show judge and two DJs/producers who aren't widely known but known enough. Every single one of them is bringing something to the table and can argue that at some point they've excelled in their field - even if their field is just country soap Emmerdale. 9 of the 10 have a wiki page compared to just 6 of the 12 on Big Brother VIP and although I'm unfamilar with a couple of them I do at least recognise their names.

Now I expect to be less familar with the Aussies being on the other side of the world, but the fact that one of the alumni from Survivor is one of the biggest names on the show says it all. I've no real issue with Luke being there as he is one of the best in his field, even if his field is reality TV. Half the cast being from the influencer/model/reality TV world though isn't great - one or two unknowns who may not have general recognition but are at least known within their industry is generally a good move, but it needs to be amongst a cast of people viewers largely are familar with.

Of the housemates in the original Celebrity Big Brother Australia 11 of the 12 have wiki pages, and although "celebrity" has moved on they all clearly bought some kind of talent to the table, rather than relying on the fame of their brother in law.

even if their field is just country soap Emmerdale
CBB always seemed to have at least one HM ex- Coro or Eastenders star back in the day. CBB/BBUK's demo was always a bit more mature than Seven aims for though.

Alan Jones
Channel Ten tried to be controversial and un-PC with I’m a Celebrity a few years ago. That was when they cast Bernard Tomic and Anthony Mundine (two of the most hated people in Australian sport). They also cast Danny Green (Mundine’s rival), David Oldfield (One Nation politician who had an affair with Pauline Hanson) and Paul Burrell (Princess Diana’s Butler).

The result was a ratings dip compared to previous seasons, and a season that was widely panned. Not helped by both Tomic and Mundine quitting the show.

Knowing the cast ahead of time definitely hurt the show more than it helped. Less promotion of the cast prior to the premiere would have allowed casuals to at least give the show a chance even if they weren’t familiar or pleased with the overall cast.

That's true - kind of let your preconceptions determine if you were going to watch or not whilst had you only found out on the premiere, or shortly beforehand, you'd probably give them the chance to prove themselves.

That's true - kind of let your preconceptions determine if you were going to watch or not whilst had you only found out on the premiere, or shortly beforehand, you'd probably give them the chance to prove themselves.
Especially casual viewers… They basically gave casuals a chance to give up on the show before it even started.

302k last night whilst last weeks episode has consolidated at 621k. Top show last night was Home and Away beforehand at 534k. Think that makes BBVIP one of the biggest turn offs in primetime last night losing 232k viewers from the preceeding show.

BBVIP must be a goner for next year. The trouble is now they've prerecorded the main series too they can't even turn around and say we'll axe BBVIP but give you back the episodes for the main series. As we've said all along that would benefit so much from each cycle being over two episodes but with it pre-recorded and the format locked in they wouldn't really be able to adjust that in the edit without the show feeling really drawn out. The only advantage is so few people have seen it I don't think it'll really have a negative impact on the main series.

Last edited:
BBVIP must be a goner for next year. The trouble is now they've prerecorded the main series too they can't even turn around and say we'll axe BBVIP but give you back the episodes for the main series. As we've said all along that would benefit so much from each cycle being over two episodes but with it pre-recorded and the format locked in they wouldn't really be able to adjust that in the edit without the show feeling really drawn out.
I think the next season will fare better with the old favourites returning, but they might be alarmed enough to bump it to a multichannel and burn it of there. Maybe launch it on the main channel then bump it over depending on how it performs.

Back