Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

SA in lockdown from midnight tonight so another few million stuck in thier homes for a few days at least.

Edit to say sorry they are not calling it a lockdown

SA in lockdown from midnight tonight so another few million stuck in thier homes for a few days at least.

Edit to say sorry they are not calling it a lockdown

Looks like that's what they're calling it now:

Victoria also extended.

Unfortunately Australia is being left behind as the rest of the world opens up.

I am wondering just how many states need to get locked down before the management where I work finally decide that holding a conference with approx 300 people from around the country in about six weeks time is just not going to be a good idea? :unsure:

Looks like that's what they're calling it now:

Victoria also extended.

Unfortunately Australia is being left behind as the rest of the world opens up.
Its interesting watching the other states learning from NSW fuckups on how to handle this thing.

I find it perplexing the non covid conspiracists think this is all engineered by govts. Geeze. Economies buckling is exactly what govts want.:bang:
The underlying issue is denial of personal freedoms. And whilst not ideal, we have for the first time in a generation faced a huge issue where we have to pull together and sacrifice for the greater good. But most things I read are full of personal anecdotal complaints about "muh freedom".
The first test as a society we have had in decades and my faith is losing its normal optimism at a rapid rate.
Mistakes have been made. Particularly by some bad governance. But its an unclear cloud we face. Instead of yelling "poor me" lets stand together.
Its hackneyed I know but never been more apt.

Is Bunnings essential? Is Kmart essential?
No, they're not and are not open as such to the public (well, not in Vic anyway) but they both (along with a lot of other retail stores) offer click and collect or online shopping and home deliveries.

I am wondering just how many states need to get locked down before the management where I work finally decide that holding a conference with approx 300 people from around the country in about six weeks time is just not going to be a good idea? :unsure:

Somehow I don't think this will happen. Well that's if the people in charge at your workplace have any regards for everyone's health. I think that's way to big a crowd to be having now considering what's happening around the country with this pandemic.

Its interesting watching the other states learning from NSW fuckups on how to handle this thing.

To be fair, the other governments aren't doing anything different than they usually would. SA, Vic & WA always went into lockdown at the first sign of community transmission. NSW always tried to limit the impact on the economy first, then use lockdown or partial lockdown as a last resort (Northern Beaches outbreak / Crossroads hotel outbreak).

I think in the case of the Delta variant, immediate lockdown is the best option, which Vic & SA have done.

To be fair, the other governments aren't doing anything different than they usually would. SA, Vic & WA always went into lockdown at the first sign of community transmission. NSW always tried to limit the impact on the economy first, then use lockdown or partial lockdown as a last resort (Northern Beaches outbreak / Crossroads hotel outbreak).

I think in the case of the Delta variant, immediate lockdown is the best option, which Vic & SA have done.
I was thinking more along the lines that vic and sa both picked state wide lockdowns too. Which has not always been the case for either state.

I was thinking more along the lines that vic and sa both picked state wide lockdowns too. Which has not always been the case for either state.

I didn't know SA did statewide also! That is a good decision.
How did it get into SA? Have they worked it out yet?

I didn't know SA did statewide also! That is a good decision.
How did it get into SA? Have they worked it out yet?
Someone returning from overseas was in nsw quarintine hotel and fell and went to hospital in nsw. Caught it somewhere over there and brought it here. Still unsure of the details as exactly where he caught it yet.

Last edited:
No, they're not and are not open as such to the public (well, not in Vic anyway) but they both (along with a lot of other retail stores) offer click and collect or online shopping and home deliveries.
Ah. But then … why should nurseries not also be allowed to do that? Or are is it the case that they are actually open to the public for ‚normal’ business?

Ah. But then … why should nurseries not also be allowed to do that? Or are is it the case that they are actually open to the public for ‚normal’ business?
In NSW both Bunnings and Nurseries are open to the public I think. This article states a Bunnings in western Sydney, and a plant nursery in Sydney’s south, are among the newly announced exposure sites.

I didn't say that nurseries should not be allowed to do click and collect in fact, I think that's the way they should operate. But it is my understanding that they are open for 'personal' shopping and I find that rather strange because when Vic goes into lockdown no retail stores are allowed to open except for those deemed essential and that only amounts to a select few.

I hasten to add that I have no idea if Vic or NSW are handling their individual lockdowns in a better way or not only that I find the differences surprising.

Meanwhile:

Covid-19 antibodies detected in 67% of India’s population​

Covid-19 antibodies have been detected in 67% of the population of India, according to a new survey, indicating how widely the virus spread through communities during the second wave.

India’s fourth national sero-survey, which examines the prevalence of Covid-19 antibodies either through infection or vaccination, found that 67.6% of the population of more than 1.3 billion has coronavirus antibodies.

Back