Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Let’s not forget that Victoria is the gold standard. 🙄
Victorian tracers at work
QVqA.gif

How can someone function and be 15 months into the pandemic and not come across a check-in system before?

If Aldi isn't doing a check-in, that's either their fault or maybe they don't require one. Although I think they now do. As others have said, other states have had check-in for supermarkets this whole time.

Would you prefer the government sends a party member to every store to enforce check-in, or try and rely on peoples ability to do the right thing? I know you can never rely on that, but at some point it's the only practical option.

Well yes I have been going to the supermarkets here in Melbourne throughout this whole pandemic since last year and only now they have tried to enforce some sort of "check in" at the supermarkets. Yes as @Sephrenia said I think it has been mandatory at restaurants and other places for quite a while here in Melbourne. But as I don't eat out I have never seen any check in crap before I went shopping at the supermarkets on Friday.

What I am getting at @up_all_night is if you are going to make some sort of check in system then at least make it work and make it mandatory for all retailers. Not this drib and drab bullshit like what is in place at the shopping centre I was at last Friday. Also you can't possibly sit there and tell me that you can rely on people's trust and good will to follow the rules and constantly check in on their own whenever they see a scanner? Please mate people will not always follow the rules unless they are monitored or something else. Like I said at the moment there is no way that all retailers are following this law and also it seems to be oh well we just "trust" the public to do the right thing? LOL!

All I can say is if it isn't done properly then don't do it at all. It's just a joke and makes the Victorian government look like an even bigger joke than it currently is.

I've been critical of QLD but I think this was the right decision. I get why it's harsh and would be upsetting for the couple but the inconvenience to them is far less risky than the inconvenience to a whole city if an outbreak came from exempted travellers. Also seems that they travelled quite far along into her pregnancy. Maybe there's a reason for that but I think it's a pretty big risk to do that in a pandemic and also quarantine in a state they're not residents of.

I've been critical of QLD but I think this was the right decision. I get why it's harsh and would be upsetting for the couple but the inconvenience to them is far less risky than the inconvenience to a whole city if an outbreak came from exempted travellers. Also seems that they travelled quite far along into her pregnancy. Maybe there's a reason for that but I think it's a pretty big risk to do that in a pandemic and also quarantine in a state they're not residents of.
Wow, no, sorry, I disagree.
Anastasia says she is having Pfizer so she can go to Japan. These parents are both fully vaccinated according to the article. Let them see their newborn. This is heartless!

Wow, no, sorry, I disagree.
Anastasia says she is having Pfizer so she can go to Japan. These parents are both fully vaccinated according to the article. Let them see their newborn. This is heartless!

It's such a tough situation, which is why I just posted the article without my usual commentary.

I think you both raise valid points, and for once, I genuinely have to sit on the fence. I'm really not sure what the right answer is here.

It's such a tough situation, which is why I just posted the article without my usual commentary.

I think you both raise valid points, and for once, I genuinely have to sit on the fence. I'm really not sure what the right answer is here.
If they do provide an exemption then I think there will be a lot of demand to lower or eliminate the quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers in general. Are we at a point where it's safe to do that? Could the states manage any risks? If yes then they should go ahead but I think we're still very early on in understanding how effective the vaccine really is.

If they do provide an exemption then I think there will be a lot of demand to lower or eliminate the quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers in general. Are we at a point where it's safe to do that? Could the states manage any risks? If yes then they should go ahead but I think we're still very early on in understanding how effective the vaccine really is.
I think certainly it should allow us to make exceptions, especially on compassionate grounds. Otherwise what’s the point of even having a vaccine if it changes nothing about how we live in a post covid world?

If they do grant an exemption then I think there will be a lot of demand to lower or eliminate the quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers in general. Are we at a point where it's safe to do that? Could the states manage any risks? If yes then they should go ahead but I think we're still very early on in understanding how effective the vaccine really is.

Unfortunately too many states have proven to be unable to handle outbreaks effectively, so the chances of vaccinated travellers being given an exemption are very slim.

Unfortunately too many states have proven to be unable to handle outbreaks effectively, so the chances of vaccinated travellers being given an exemption are very slim.
Yep. I think the political repercussions of a vaccinated traveller infecting someone in the community would be huge. It would undermine the effort to generally get people vaccinated. People are also tired of the lockdowns. I don't think it's something that'll happen until the majority of the community is vaccinated.

I think certainly it should allow us to make exceptions, especially on compassionate grounds. Otherwise what’s the point of even having a vaccine if it changes nothing about how we live in a post covid world?
I guess I kind of explained it to rj90 but I don't think they'll risk it until the majority of the Australian public is also vaccinated. I think we're still very far off that.

Yep. I think the political repercussions of a vaccinated traveller infecting someone in the community would be huge. It would undermine the effort to generally get people vaccinated. People are also tired of the lockdowns. I don't think it's something that'll happen until the majority of the community is vaccinated.

Oh, the backlash would be absolutely catastrophic!

This is also why Scomo will 100% keep the borders closed until at least the next election. Opening the borders and letting an international spread Covid would all but guarantee he won't be re-elected.

You're right though - until the majority of the community is vaccinated, nothing will change. This is where the failures of the Feds comes in. Whether you want to be vaccinated or not, that's your choice. But everyone that wants one, should have been able to get one by now.

Oh, the backlash would be absolutely catastrophic!

This is also why Scomo will 100% keep the borders closed until at least the next election. Opening the borders and letting an international spread Covid would all but guarantee he won't be re-elected.

You're right though - until the majority of the community is vaccinated, nothing will change. This is where the failures of the Feds comes in. Whether you want to be vaccinated or not, that's your choice. But everyone that wants one, should have been able to get one by now.
Maybe they were thinking it would be a winning point with the locally produced AstraZeneca for brags but confidence in that vaccine has been so tarnished and now we're far behind overall. Probably best to always have an open mind with vaccines to consider as the situation changes quickly and we're still learning about them.

Back