Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2020 - Episode 20 Discussion (21 July)

Are you happy that Sarah has now been evicted from the Big Brother house?

• Yes, She was awful.

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • No, She was awesome.

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Maybe, She was mixed.

Votes: 30 32.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of that challenge, was there a specific rule that prohibited dropping multiple balls at once? All I could think of as I watched that challenge, was "Hey, idiots, why not just drop two balls at exactly the same time and catch one in your left and the other in your right hand?" Three balls? Drop two, leave your gap, drop the third. Four balls? Drop two, leave your gap, drop two. Five balls? Drop two, leave your gap, drop two more, leave your gap, drop the last one. It seemed an obvious strategy to me. Did BB mention that you could only carry one ball at a time from the bottom to the top - no left hand right hand catching allowed? If he did, then I didn't hear it. Of course it doesn't matter now as it is all done and dusted. But it was something I was thinking at the time.

Last edited:
You'd assume one they had multiple balls rolling the rule would be that at least all but one ball had to be running on the track.

Being forced to watch one and a half hours Channel 7 for a challenge that in edited form lasts no longer than 6 minutes and to find out who is being evicted is simply a crime.
The rest was condensed soap opera, embarrassing to watch.

Credit where credit is due. Chad came through again. He didn't lose his cool. I would have thought this one would go Sophie's way because she is fast and fit. There seems to be an overall consensus that Sophie is the smarter of the two and considering that this task was basically one of concentration and focus, Chad's win came as a surprise. So what happened?

I think the sessions in the eviction room can give us a clue. Let's just look at Dan, Chad, Sophie, Sarah, Mat, and Kieran for this purpose. I kept thinking... I want to sit across the table from them at a high stakes poker game.

Watching the facial expressions of those contestants is like watching a movie. They say much more with their faces than with their words. It is true... in THEIR case the face is much more articulate than the speech. The eyes go and roll all over the place. Then there are the unruly lips (Dan is a good example here)... the stretching and the yawning (usually favoured by blokey mates and beef cakes... you know, the ones that need to have a ball they can kick or hold or throw or fondle in order to breathe)...

Back to the point. Chad is a little different. His facial expression is predictable. Whether he is surprised or angry or uncomfortable in ANY way, his jaw simply drops and he stares into the void. Life has left his brain.

This 'empty-mindedness' seems to morph into a 'single-mindedness' when Chad's stars are aligned properly. Suddenly he can focus - no other thought will disturb his mind. In modern parlance we would say: He can't multitask.
To be fair, I don't think the others are any good at multitasking either but their mind-space is constantly filled with an endless stream of uncontrolled thoughts... thoughts that will distract from the task at hand.

The most obvious was Mat during the challenge with the locks in the water tank. He panicked. The harder he tried, the tenser he got. His mind was racing. When your mind is fixed (not to be construed with focused) so much on winning the game, there is no space left for surprises, for the unexpected. Universes collide in the brain, it freezes and panic ensues.

Just a few thoughts. I would expect that you disagree with much of what I just said. But ask yourself this question: Would I like to be and feel comfortable inside Mat's or Dan's brain during such a tense situation? o_O:p

Facebook are voting for Chad. Far left idiots on Twitter are voting for Sophie. Could go either way.

lol yeah because Sophie is so crazy left.

She seems like a Liberal voter to me.

Re the discussion on show format.

I agree that BBAU needed a format change of some kind. But I think what we ended up with was a rushed over-correction that had no room to breathe, no original thinking, just plucked ideas from other versions (and other reality shows), but not necessarily the ideas that are good.

What I've noticed in most BBAU seasons, is the production goal always seems to be "just good enough", combined with an attitude of "more is more". BBAU doesn't seem to be capable of pulling off anything with any level of sophistication. Like, there are never any really true shocking or emotionally engaging moments. If anything gets close, it get's 3 days of pre-promo about it being the "biggest twist ever". Oversell and under-deliver. Even in Channel 10 days this got bad - remember the voice recognition lie detector test thing? gag.

Whenever things get boring or there is a slight dip in the ratings - throw in more shit. Throw in a dog, throw in some KFC, throw in some arbitrary extra eviction votes to one housemate.

I don't know enough about the industry to know where exactly this problem stems from. Are the producers happy to do anything that might pull ratings, because that is the only measure they care about? Is it the TV stations wanting to re-heat leftover ideas? Are decision makers terrified of truly new ideas because FTA TV is about to collapse? Is the Aus TV industry just not that good at pulling things off compared to overseas?

In conclusion, I'm just not happy with anything anytime.

Edit: actually the one new idea I did like in BBAU2020 was the concept of Big Brother actually being the house, and the visuals that made the house look like it was living and breathing.

Finally bloody Big Brother - or Big Mother as he should be called. I've found the voice pathetic ever since it debuted on the promos and the mix between narrating and supposedly talking to the HMs in the challenges is just irritating. The pep talks and "you played an amazing game" is not what you expect or need from the Big Brother voice, and the scene at the end was just pathetic - couldn't we just enjoy the housemates celebrating the moment without a eulogy from random narrator guy.

That voice is a bloody pest! Also his wit levels aren't something to jump up and down about. Like his obvious adoration of Chad and sharing a beer with him, and talking about enjoying a beer outside, I mean how ridiculous is that? You nailed it in your description mate. Original BB was a pro and makes this new guy look sub par, unfortunately the millennials won't know the true depth of greatness (unless they have patience to really sit down and enjoy the 'old' stuff.)

I also don't think he's narrating live over the top of the challenges. He can say something like "Kieran is getting wobbly there" and Kieran won't react to it. There are a few things that probably have either a producer or the BB voice but they don't do it to intimidate or throw off players during a challenge like how sometimes happens on Survivor.

Reactions: mia
Speaking of that challenge, was there a specific rule that prohibited dropping multiple balls at once? All I could think of as I watched that challenge, was "Hey, idiots, why not just drop two balls at exactly the same time and catch one in your left and the other in your right hand?" Three balls? Drop two, leave your gap, drop the third. Four balls? Drop two, leave your gap, drop two. Five balls? Drop two, leave your gap, drop two more, leave your gap, drop the last one. It seemed an obvious strategy to me. Did BB mention that you could only carry one ball at a time from the bottom to the top - no left hand right hand catching allowed? If he did, then I didn't hear it. Of course it doesn't matter now as it is all done and dusted. But it was something I was thinking at the time.
Well this challenge is based off of a Survivor challenge, and in that, no, you can't catch two balls, it has to be one at a time and that rule would have applied here otherwise you would have seen them doing that.

I really hope Chad hasn't done serious damage to his ankle joint and various tendons and ligaments in running on an already painful strained or slightly sprained ankle. I hope either he or Sophie wins. I'm torn now between the two.

But honestly, if Dan wins I will spew razorblades or something!

I honestly thought they'd have a medic available to evaluate it. Maybe we just didn't see it ?
I wondered too. Why didn't have a brace and crutches in the house to rest his foot? IMO he shouldn't have put any weight on it. I guess for the challenge he had to forget about pain and further damages to his foot, he was just incredibly brave and strong.

I honestly thought they'd have a medic available to evaluate it. Maybe we just didn't see it ?
Folks are already complaining that Ep20 was a "Chad-fest" to boost his chance to win.

Though personally, I would have RATHER seen evidence of any care he had received.

C'mon E.S.A. and/or S.W.M. how about a "Deleted Scene" ?

That voice is a bloody pest! Also his wit levels aren't something to jump up and down about. Like his obvious adoration of Chad and sharing a beer with him, and talking about enjoying a beer outside, I mean how ridiculous is that? You nailed it in your description mate. Original BB was a pro and makes this new guy look sub par, unfortunately the millennials won't know the true depth of greatness (unless they have patience to really sit down and enjoy the 'old' stuff.)

I also don't think he's narrating live over the top of the challenges. He can say something like "Kieran is getting wobbly there" and Kieran won't react to it. There are a few things that probably have either a producer or the BB voice but they don't do it to intimidate or throw off players during a challenge like how sometimes happens on Survivor.
The voice doesn’t bother me. The family friendly demeanour of it does.
He should be cruel, and punish the housemates way, way more.
He was never meant to be a ‘friend’.
The whole concept of George Orwell’s ‘Big Brother‘ was that it was an awful dystopian nightmare.
The housemates are supposed to be angry with him, and fear him.
Huge failure about this season..

The having a beer with Chad part would have been far more effective if they had displayed it on the screen to the other housemates with the sound off, leading them become annoyed that he is allowed to be in there having a beer, and wondering what they were talking about...

Far be it from me to agree with reepbot, but the show got cancelled under its original format. Twice.
The first time it got cancelled was not because of its format, it was because a former Australian Dictator by the name of John 'Man Of Steel' Howard.
Rumours have it, his Missus would wake him up every night after having watched BBAU wanting sex. The girls' regular trips to the DR begging BB for a new supply of batteries for their vibrators, the sessions inside the steamy sauna and all the moaning had turned out to be too much for good old Janette to bear. Alas, John had a country to run and promptly decided to put a stop to this nonsense and ban this godless, blasphemous, sinful show.

The second time it got cancelled if memory serves, was because the show had been watered down (what with the sexual excesses taken out of the show) to appeal more to the wee ones. The original connoisseurs of the show were disappointed and the ratings started dropping to the point where it ostensibly was no longer feasible to continue.

Does anyone have last couple of mins / exiting the house? Seven plus cut out just as the drone zoomed out and I feel robbed of my last 30 seconds of joy (the joy being sarcasm, but I’ve lasted this long...)
The shot from the drone is the final moment of the episode. The promo aired immediately after it. No content from the actual episode got cut, it was only the voting info that didn't air on the east coast.

My point is the show's format is not to blame for its cancellation, that statement is redundant. A Tv show declines in ratings and popularity most of the time because producers work too hard to twist it and turn it to grab the ratings they are inevitably losing. Big Brother will always have interest factor and will always have win equity in terms of ratings, otherwise there wouldn't be 700,000 odd people watching it this year after it had been twice axed. Big Brother in it's normal format could have and WOULD have pulled a decent audience for 7, and anyone can tell me otherwise and I just simply won't concede.
Absolutely! And thanks for the little trip down memory lane... I'd forgotten half of the stuff you mentioned :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back