Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2020 - Episode 20 Discussion (21 July)

Are you happy that Sarah has now been evicted from the Big Brother house?

• Yes, She was awful.

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • No, She was awesome.

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Maybe, She was mixed.

Votes: 30 32.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a quarter of a million dollar decision...its a $234k decision
Yeh, they messed that up there huh? Fortunately one of the producers was switched on enough to update Sonia’s script later in the episode to $230k. It would have been funny if she kept talking about the $250k prize when the HM’s clearly aren’t.

They've now literally handed the win to Dan on a silver platter. Chad and Sophie fans are all gonna split between the two, any bromance or alpha fans are gonna vote Dan. King Gozza is gonna win

They've now literally handed the win to Dan on a silver platter. Chad and Sophie fans are all gonna split between the two, any bromance or alpha fans are gonna vote Dan. King Gozza is gonna win

Facebook are voting for Chad. Far left idiots on Twitter are voting for Sophie. Could go either way.

Adapt to the new ways of tv.
Yep. Thats why shows go the way of the dodo. BB is one of a very few individual shows which relies on a simple but powerful credo.
One and one only. Play a social game.Rewards people who can read people.. Rewards people who can adopt to swift changes of power alliances being banished by a public vote hence ensuring re-thinking. Re-evaluation. The strength in my eyes of this product.
Trying to morph it into hook ups challenges and predictable outcomes dooms it.

No way he wins. There is barely anyone saying they voted/are going to vote for Dan online. And his haters outnumber his fans.

Reactions: kxk
Facebook are voting for Chad. Far left idiots on Twitter are voting for Sophie. Could go either way.

What does politics have to do with voting for Sophie? I voted for her because she was strong in challenges and so that a female wins for only the fourth time, 12 years since the last one won.

What does politics have to do with voting for Sophie? I voted for her because she was strong in challenges and so that a female wins for only the fourth time, 12 years since the last one won.

I wasn't referring to the forum. I was referring to Twitter specifically which is full of far left propaganda. Other forms of social media are much better.

No way he wins. There is barely anyone saying they voted/are going to vote for Dan online. And his haters outnumber his fans.
Reading social media on Insta and FB the comments are pretty split. Dan's got his whole side behind him, Sophie and Chad fans have to pick between the two.

Reading social media on Insta and FB the comments are pretty split. Dan's got his whole side behind him, Sophie and Chad fans have to pick between the two.

Facebook is all Chad. Twitter is all Sophie. Insta pretty split between Chad / Dan from what I saw.

Nothing definitive there.

I don't know what a "footy" is, but:
  • I feel only about 30% of this season was affected in some way by covid. Most still played out as planned.
  • The rushed, disposable nature of this BBAU season has set a precedent for the series and it won't change. Phone interviews are already happening for the 2021 season, which films in a matter of months. The house will not be changed, maybe a new couch. It'll be like that Doctor Who episode where there are 60 Big Brother houses running at once.
  • The complete focus on physical challenges in this season will only serve to attract more jocks, athletes and bland people to apply for the show.
  • Showmances, bromances and other lazy production tropes will continue. Bogans love em. This seems to be an Australian (and partly American) cultural thing. Other versions of BB use these shortcuts but don't completely rely on them like we do.
  • Scarily, things have evolved so much from back in 2013, when we used to scoff at Instagram influencers going on the show for being "fake". Now the housemates are literally coached from the sidelines on what to say and do. They're basically low-cost actors in a scripted show.

I think when Channel 7 sent the work experience boy to research what Big Brother was supposed to be like, he came back with tapes of It's A Knockout instead.

Far be it from me to agree with reepbot, but the show got cancelled under its original format. Twice. I don’t think it’s entirely wrong to think that they need to change BB if they want to bring it back with any sort of longevity. I think the biggest issue if anything was the fact that the HMs did not fully commit to the game and focused a bit more on mateship (similar to the early days of the Australian Survivor reboot.) I do think that the format has potential but they need to tap into things a little bit more with something like a Power of Veto. A live feed aspect would be ideal but I’d be shocked if they went through with that ever again sadly.

but the show got cancelled under its original format. Twice.

This argument is what I am so sick of hearing. The format of Big Brother was never to blame for it's cancelation or declining ratings. It was merely the execution of the show and poor production choices. It wasn't what they did with the show it was HOW they did it. The initial cancelation was inevitable after the Turkey Slap. The bad press as well as Gretel leaving there was no way 2008 was gonna rate higher than what it ended up. 2012 had promise, and had it actually had live feeds it would had sufficed as a regular BB season in my eyes. 2014 was so incredibly shit because of the lack of content we got with no live feeds and cancelation of live updates. As well as shifting the schedule multiple times in the series with eviction going from Tuesdays to Mondays to Wednesdays to Thursdays and then cutting the Sunday and Friday shows all together it was almost impossible to keep up with the show. 2014's late time slot is also hugely to blame for its ratings decline.
My point is the show's format is not to blame for its cancellation, that statement is redundant. A Tv show declines in ratings and popularity most of the time because producers work too hard to twist it and turn it to grab the ratings they are inevitably losing. Big Brother will always have interest factor and will always have win equity in terms of ratings, otherwise there wouldn't be 700,000 odd people watching it this year after it had been twice axed. Big Brother in it's normal format could have and WOULD have pulled a decent audience for 7, and anyone can tell me otherwise and I just simply won't concede.

This argument is what I am so sick of hearing. The format of Big Brother was never to blame for it's cancelation or declining ratings. It was merely the execution of the show and poor production choices. It wasn't what they did with the show it was HOW they did it. The initial cancelation was inevitable after the Turkey Slap. The bad press as well as Gretel leaving there was no way 2008 was gonna rate higher than what it ended up. 2012 had promise, and had it actually had live feeds it would had sufficed as a regular BB season in my eyes. 2014 was so incredibly shit because of the lack of content we got with no live feeds and cancelation of live updates. As well as shifting the schedule multiple times in the series with eviction going from Tuesdays to Mondays to Wednesdays to Thursdays and then cutting the Sunday and Friday shows all together it was almost impossible to keep up with the show. 2014's late time slot is also hugely to blame for its ratings decline.
My point is the show's format is not to blame for its cancellation, that statement is redundant. A Tv show declines in ratings and popularity most of the time because producers work too hard to twist it and turn it to grab the ratings they are inevitably losing. Big Brother will always have interest factor and will always have win equity in terms of ratings, otherwise there wouldn't be 700,000 odd people watching it this year after it had been twice axed. Big Brother in it's normal format could have and WOULD have pulled a decent audience for 7, and anyone can tell me otherwise and I just simply won't concede.

Completely agree with you there. Big Brother Brasil is a perfect example of how you can combine the live format with aspects of the US version and still have a very succesful show. The format was never the problem but rather like you said the way the show was produced, cast and scheduled.

If anything I feel like BB Brazil is just more proof that the most successful BBs currently are the ones that do not stick strictly to the HMs nominate/public evicts format and shows that there’s need to be some sort of tweaking to the original format. It’s gone stale and been cancelled in many countries.

As forums poster reepbot once wisely (?!) said, adapt or die.

Does anyone have last couple of mins / exiting the house? Seven plus cut out just as the drone zoomed out and I feel robbed of my last 30 seconds of joy (the joy being sarcasm, but I’ve lasted this long...)

So from the beginning. Day 39. Day 39. In most series that means you've survived 4 evictions, but here it means you've survived the series. I was not impressed - 39 days in a warehouse in North Head is not the same as 39 days on a beach in Fiji. So underwhelming.

Then the next half hour - what a borefest. Really struggled to hold my attention. On to the challenge and god, you could tell by them not covering up their negligence in not seemingly having a duty of care towards Chad that he must win the challenge. This was not a finalists challenge, and ultimately really the same format as the corn challenge yesterday. They needed something a bit more epic really, and in the US it's a three parter.

I do like Chad, he seems a decent guy and nothing wrong with playing an honest game if it gets you to the end, plus he has backed it up with wins when he's needed too and never really been at risk of losing. But god, they laid it on thick in the last half hour. If it helps Dan lose though I'm all for it - to be honest can't call the final three and don't think any of them would be a brilliant winner.

Finally bloody Big Brother - or Big Mother as he should be called. I've found the voice pathetic ever since it debuted on the promos and the mix between narrating and supposedly talking to the HMs in the challenges is just irritating. The pep talks and "you played an amazing game" is not what you expect or need from the Big Brother voice, and the scene at the end was just pathetic - couldn't we just enjoy the housemates celebrating the moment without a eulogy from random narrator guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back