Skip to main content

Who will host in 2020?

Very disappointed that Sonia is back to host, would honestly prefer Kyle Sandilands over her at this point.
LOL that's harsh!

I'm really not sure how much hosting it needs. Launch show to introduce the HMs and an eviction interview for each departure... and the finale. So a half day's work twice a week for the most part of taping, if you assume two evictions a week? I really hope they minimise her. Is Sonia based in Sydney usually?

LOL that's harsh!

I'm really not sure how much hosting it needs. Launch show to introduce the HMs and an eviction interview for each departure... and the finale. So a half day's work twice a week for the most part of taping, if you assume two evictions a week? I really hope they minimise her. Is Sonia based in Sydney usually?
If the rumours are true and it is pre-recorded, than yeah, probably not much use for a host anyway. I do hope it's live in some capacity, how are we supposed to decide the winner? Unless they go the Survivor route where only the finale is filmed live months later when the show airs, where the descision is made? I believe Sonia is based around Sydney from what I remember, not sure though.

how are we supposed to decide the winner? Unless they go the Survivor route where only the finale is filmed live months later when the show airs, where the descision is made?
They could just tape two endings/results at the time... have a public vote when it finally airs and roll the appropriate tape on the night. Complete with a fake audience a la The Circle US.

It is gong to suck
And the generation applying watched the early 10 version as kids, they loved voting on the phone, they felt special

And they will apply and wonder why it feels so fake and crappy, and vacuous, so unlike that kid experience
Kid's had weird favourites, Hot Dog of course just having that name

My hope is that 7 will suck so bad, and 10 are just waiting for it to go around all the other commercial stations in sucky versions

And then, 10 is begged to please take it back cheaply and make a proper show

Long time fan of Big Brother - Since 01. I have a bad feeling 7 are about to produce the worst version of Big Brother yet. The most important factor of the show is that it is LIVE. Prerecorded Big Brother to me is simply not Big Brother. I'm also very much not on board with Sonia Kruger, she wasn't great on 9. I was excited it's coming back, but the more I hear about it, the less I want it.

LOL that's harsh!

Worst case scenario would be she just records all the interviews with evictees once the final is done.

I don't think though she'll be there for interviews - I think it'll be hosting the competitions and eviction ceremonies as in the US, and with it being pre-recorded interviews will either be Survivor style post-credit affairs or simple short soundbites upon exiting the house.

And with the rumour of Gretel’s asking price to return to hosting being “too high”. If I was Channel 7 I would give her what she wants. She is worth it. Gretel was an amazing host. The best we will ever have.
I agree, it'd feel very old-school big brother. The best.

I wonder if they'll have a narrator.
I hope so! I think a narrator that's not the main host works well for the "surveillance zoo" format of Big Brother instead of having a narrative driven mostly by housemate confessionals like we'd see in Masterchef or Survivor.

I hope so! I think a narrator that's not the main host works well for the "surveillance zoo" format of Big Brother instead of having a narrative driven mostly by housemate confessionals like we'd see in Masterchef or Survivor.
The new Big Brother won't be a "surveillance zoo" format though, it will be more driven by competitions and gameplay, so I do think like the US version it'll largely be done by the housemates with Sonia doing the "Previously" recaps and possibly "Next Time" previews, especially as she won't have much to host actually other than likely the HoH Comps and the Evictions, which will just form part of an episode.

That is a thought actually - with Big Brother usually being live any preview traditionally the show hasn't been able to preview the next episode in too much detail - we may know a twist or format point is coming and see a brief clip of action recorded earlier in the day, but this time they can preview the entire outcome of a show, so sadly I suspect if we do get any blindsides when it comes to evictions they'll promote the heck out of it, ruining the surprise for the viewers - especially as all the early pre-show publicity was quite honest about the show being recorded ahead of broadcast. I suspect had Covid-19 not happened they may have tried to keep quiet about that.

“I’m looking forward to it because it’s live, so you can go off-script and there’s not much anyone can do about it!”

Yes Sonia, because we know how much you love going off-script. :rolleyes:
HAHAHA I literally came here to post the same thing. Her hosting live is as bad as listening to Microsoft Sam . She's so heavily reliant on script.

What I don't understand is that she used to be really funny and quick when she was on Dancing With the Stars? Which was the type of thing I was hoping for when she was announced in 2012 for Nine. Yet we got bland deer in headlights.

She won't be going off script at all. Don't also expect it to be LIVE LIVE. I reckon it'll have been pre-recorded in the afternoon with multiple endings. Or at least a 30 minute delay. Seven don't really do live anymore.

Last edited:
... Don't also expect it to be LIVE LIVE. I reckon it'll have been pre-recorded in the afternoon with multiple endings. Or at least a 30 minute delay. Seven don't really do live anymore.
So is it confirmed it will be at Seven's studio and NOT at the house?

And in all honesty, I can take a 15 or 30 minute delay and still call it 'live' - production, then, has very little time to massage outcomes. :happy:

(probably the wrong thread to ask ;) )

Was just at the house and pretty safe to say they won’t be filming from there. I think an earlier tv tonight article said it would be from Everleigh studios.

also tv tonight mentioned there will be an audience of 70 people following covid guidelines. At least there will be some crowd noise.

Was just at the house and pretty safe to say they won’t be filming from there. I think an earlier tv tonight article said it would be from Everleigh studios.

also tv tonight mentioned there will be an audience of 70 people following covid guidelines. At least there will be some crowd noise.
Whats the state of the house? is it all still "up"?

Back