Skip to main content

All Stars in 2021? - Wish List & Discussion

That is exactly how television works these days. The main tv stations look at what kind of shows are succesful on the other 2 networks and then try to copy them. Hence the many dating shows on 7 in the last 2 years. Plus 7 creating House Rules as a result of The Block's success and also creating MKR due to the success of Masterchef.

Thanks for explaining how my industry works! :rolleyes:

All of the examples you've cited - Masterchef, MKR, The Block, House Rules - are talent based formats. Big Brother is not. So much of what makes RTV work, particularly with social formats, is finding the right combination of the right people at the right time. I can tell you with certainty that very few past HMs could earn a place were they to apply today.

Then you have to consider licensing footage from past networks - that is an expensive logistical nightmare. There's a very good reason Survivor All Stars didn't bother considering contestants from the pre-Ten series.

And even then, you have to consider your audience. The younger demo is the most lucrative, but that audience is also going to be the most disconnected from the legacy era BB/housemates. For this and many other reasons, it's a hard sell.

TL;DR - You might get an All Stars format in 4-5 years, but it'll only be Seven-era HMs.

You’ll be surprised.

Rumours are swirling that this is a legitimate discussion being had at Seven. Whether anything comes of it and when is a completely different story, but seems it’s being discussed.
Most of the rumours and articles are driven and undisclosed sponsored by endemol/7 themselves to make people excited and spread the word before their season even films. They do the same with MAFS over at channel 9 - e.g. nowtolove reported an all stars series happening next year with clearly
fake evidence to go with it. It’s all about making their audience feel smarter than the show, because in 2020 the audience is more likely to be watching a show to take the piss than for legitimate enjoyment.

No Tim's of any kind!

We don't need Dormer making the show all about him and the other Tim was a weirdo.

I would like to see Mirabai and Camilla, Vesna, Tully and David

There's a very good reason Survivor All Stars didn't bother considering contestants from the pre-Ten series.

And even then, you have to consider your audience. The younger demo is the most lucrative, but that audience is also going to be the most disconnected from the legacy era BB/housemates. For this and many other reasons, it's a hard sell.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you. I am pretty sceptical that 7 will do a full all stars. I think there is a chance for a celeb version or maybe a fans vs faves with a couple of ex HMs.
But isn’t 25-54 demo the group that 7 wanted to increase?
And can anyone name one of the previous networks survivor players? Whereas plenty of people could list off at least a few players from 10 and 9’s BB. They have a higher nostalgia appeal than the old survivor shows.

But isn’t 25-54 demo the group that 7 wanted to increase?

The rule of thumb is the younger your demos skew, the more lucrative your ad/spon revops. Ratings volume is great, but it means nothing if you're not hitting ROI benchmarks with your target audience.

And can anyone name one of the previous networks survivor players? Whereas plenty of people could list off at least a few players from 10 and 9’s BB. They have a higher nostalgia appeal than the old survivor shows.

Outside of this fan website, BB nostalgia is more niche than you're giving it credit for.

Outside of this fan website, BB nostalgia is more niche than you're giving it credit for.

I disagree. I reckon people who have never even heard of this forum would easily be able to list Reggie, Sara-Marie, Chrissie, Fitzy and maybe even Tim Dormer as being from BB.
I think you’re underestimating the way BB entered the zeitgeist of Australian TV history.

And more to my point, you were comparing it to Australian Survivor. No comparison imo.

The rule of thumb is the younger your demos skew, the more lucrative your ad/spon revops. Ratings volume is great, but it means nothing if you're not hitting ROI benchmarks with your target audience.

I would have to disagree there. If you look at the Facebook comments on the BB page a lot of people want the show to go back to how it was in the Ten era and are aware of many of the old housemates.

I disagree. I reckon people who have never even heard of this forum would easily be able to list Reggie, Sara-Marie, Chrissie, Fitzy and maybe even Tim Dormer as being from BB.
I think you’re underestimating the way BB entered the zeitgeist of Australian TV history.
I'm not claiming that people don't remember the top level HMs and events, nor that they remember it fondly, but the depth of memory is another matter.

And more to my point, you were comparing it to Australian Survivor. No comparison imo.
It's the only comparable example. They're both social reality competitions and they've both jumped networks.

If you look at the Facebook comments on the BB page a lot of people want the show to go back to how it was in the Ten era and are aware of many of the old housemates.
An active 1-2% of social followers do not represent the whole and a broader objective sample of the population will not skew as you suggest.

My final word on the matter - as much as you're all looking for reasons for All Stars to work, you're failing to account for the many reasons why it won't happen. Getting a TV show off the ground is so much more than a concept and a cast, and you can't build a solid business case without performing due diligence. Objectively, as someone who works in this industry (including experience on BB), what you are hoping for is not going to materialise.

I'm not claiming that people don't remember the top level HMs and events, nor that they remember it fondly, but the depth of memory is another matter.

It's the only comparable example. They're both social reality competitions and they've both jumped networks.

An active 1-2% of social followers do not represent the whole and a broader objective sample of the population will not skew as you suggest.

My final word on the matter - as much as you're all looking for reasons for All Stars to work, you're failing to account for the many reasons why it won't happen. Getting a TV show off the ground is so much more than a concept and a cast, and you can't build a solid business case without performing due diligence. Objectively, as someone who works in this industry (including experience on BB), what you are hoping for is not going to materialise.
All your supposed media experience and yet you can’t comprehend the difference in cultural impact between Ch10 Big Brother and Ch9 Survivor. Just because they have screened on multiple networks each does not mean the contestants had a comparable impact on the media landscape in Australia. :rolleyes:
Like I said, I’m sceptical that it will happen too. But your arguments against don’t hold water!

My argument about Survivor was illustrating that pulling contestants from prior network versions is not feasible. At best you're an armchair analyst who clearly knows nothing of the commercial business of television. You will not get an All Stars with pre-Seven HMs, period.

I would chose:
  • Johnnie Cass (BB01)
  • Nathan Morris (BB02)
  • Paul Dyer (BB04)
  • Billy Bentley (BB7)
  • Vesna Tosevska (BB05)
  • Anna Lind-Hansen (BB06)
  • Tully Smythe (BB10)
  • Tahan Lew-Fatt (BB10)
  • Tim Dormer (BB10)
  • Soobong Hwang (BB12)
  • Ben (BB3)
  • Michelle (BB7)
  • Claire (BB6)
I must be one of the few who didn't really take to Reggie, though she seemed, and still does, extremely
popular with Big Brother fans.

Tim Dormer has been in Big Brother and Big Brother Canada, but I'd be really interested to see how he
go in this new version and if he could strategically he'd play the game.

Vesna and Tahan because I loved them both.

Interesting about Anna, I did see that interview with the BB former housemates and thought of her going into the new house after such a long time. 'Game on molls'.

Last edited:
We will just have to wait and see.

UgXRVC.gif

I must be one of the few who didn't really take to Reggie, though she seemed, and still does, extremely popular with Big Brother fans.
I couldn’t stand Reggie, first few ep’s I thought it was all an act, then it was like nup, that’s really how she is. Then when she started talking about having a different life after BB it was clear she was alluding to her husband *not* being included in that - and that just lost me right there because you don’t go on National tv and do that to your spouse. You just don’t. It was awful.

I can honestly say I've no desire really to see any of the old HMs back again. Most from the Ten era will all be about 15 years older, so not the characters we remember them as, whilst of the Nine crew only Tim is worth bringing back but I feel we've seen his act already anyway (twice if you followed him on BB Canada).

If Seven want this new era to succeed they need to prove it can hold down a second season with new housemates in this new format. If they're going for All Stars already they really are in trouble.

I feel the same. All of the classic Channel Ten housemates are so much older now. It wouldn't be the same. And I do not particularly want to see any one back from the Nine era except maybe Estelle, Tahan or Tim. (Tim would be voted out in the first episode though).

Thinking out loud... How about some retrospective documentary series (or 2 hour special) on Big Brother for the 20th year? Covers all of the eras and best moments. Would be nice to do something for the 20th anniversary. Past Housemates, Gretel, Mike Goldman and Sonia can participate. It can be all about Big Brother's impact on Australian television and society. Not sure how realistic that would likely happen though. And would 7 really want to acknowledge how great Big Brother used to be? Because let's face it the new series would be pale in comparison.

Fantasy land here but I would love if they celebrated the 20th anniversary by having all of the first season housemates (bar R.I.P. Gordon) return to a shortened format (like Celeb BB) and with Gretel. Purely for the nostalgia. But I reckon most of them probably wouldn't want to do it though and fair enough. Just a crazy dream land thought in my head.

6DuuPFl.png

Back