Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

There's also been several shots throughout the season where you can tell it's been filmed by a camera operator in the house (i.e. there was a shot last night as they all walked down the corridor, where a couple HMs' eyes glanced in our direction and smiled). Camera was roughly eye-level and dead-centre facing down the hall.
Was this just before or after a challenge perhaps ? They might have special occasions for this. If they really do have a Survivor producer, as has been said somewhere, they may have insisted that they break those old rules and get some good advantage shots.

The raw footage seems to be heavily reliant on tight head shots for "reaction". Quick edits of different headshots does mean they lose context and can have an APPEARANCE of being manufactured (real or imagined).

I wonder if some are done in post, especially if the raw cameras are 4K or better you could zoom in in post without much detail loss.

I also think they could somewhat solve this problem by either a 'picture in picture' wide shot of the room or at least wider shots of the HM group.

Whilst tighter shots might seem desirable to pick up on HM's facial expressions, it does risk losing continuity.

Quick edits of different headshots does mean they lose context and can have an APPEARANCE of being manufactured (real or imagined).
Survivor does this for tribal councils all the time, and Amelia Fisk also does Survivor, so it stands to reason it's identical. Would be so much better live to avoid this unnecessary manipulation.

This doesn’t sound very promising for major changes to the format next year...

Chatter is also strong Seven will renew Big Brother, with Ross describing it as bigger than bigger show than I’m a Celebrity, Survivor, Amazing Race or The Bachelor.

“Much kudos to the production team at Endemol Shine Australia – Mark and Carl Fennessy, Peter Newman and Amelia Fisk. They pitched us a version of the show for 2020 and they have delivered. None of us believed that the original Big Brother format could return. It had been cancelled twice in this marketplace. The reboot really had to work at attracting a new audience. It has evolved and has the storytelling techniques the marketplace now demands. They have delivered that in spades.”

Chatter is also strong Seven will renew Big Brother, with Ross describing it as bigger than bigger show than I’m a Celebrity, Survivor, Amazing Race or The Bachelor.

“Much kudos to the production team at Endemol Shine Australia – Mark and Carl Fennessy, Peter Newman and Amelia Fisk. They pitched us a version of the show for 2020 and they have delivered. None of us believed that the original Big Brother format could return. It had been cancelled twice in this marketplace. The reboot really had to work at attracting a new audience. It has evolved and has the storytelling techniques the marketplace now demands. They have delivered that in spades.”

This was always the reality wasn’t it? We’d hope they’d have enough insight to see where improvements can be made but in reality they think they know better.

I’m not minding the faster pace with an eviction every night, it keeps us on our toes to keep watching and not skip episodes. In previous years you could just watch Friday night games, Sunday evictions and Monday nom’s and still be relatively contented. The daily shows were easily skipped without losing the ‘storyline’.

And re the cameramen, it doesn’t feel as authentic this year to me, with all the fixed camera’s around the place. It was much, much better when the camera’s were in the walls and the housemates would get excited every time they heard whispering or scurrying coming from within the walls. Also a bit sus on how some of the camera shots are lined up just oh so perfectly to catch reactions, etc.

I’m not minding the faster pace with an eviction every night, it keeps us on our toes to keep watching and not skip episodes. In previous years you could just watch Friday night games, Sunday evictions and Monday nom’s and still be relatively contented. The daily shows were easily skipped without losing the ‘storyline’.

And re the cameramen, it doesn’t feel as authentic this year to me, with all the fixed camera’s around the place. It was much, much better when the camera’s were in the walls and the housemates would get excited every time they heard whispering or scurrying coming from within the walls. Also a bit sus on how some of the camera shots are lined up just oh so perfectly to catch reactions, etc.

Why would I vote for someone to get 250k when I haven't learnt a single thing about them from watching the show. That's the fault in this format. There are almost no normal interactions. To me this show is not BB. Probably won't be watching if the show stays exactly the same next year.

Why would I vote for someone to get 250k when I haven't learnt a single thing about them from watching the show. That's the fault in this format. There are almost no normal interactions. To me this show is not BB. Probably won't be watching if the show stays exactly the same next year.

Fair point. That’s where I really loved watching Up-Late because nighttime they were generally a bit more candid, let their guard down (especially if BB had supplied a few bevvie’s) and sometimes forget they were being watched. Much better than the daily shows where they would cherry-pick what we’d see. So maybe we need extra shows, even if it’s just camera feeds on a different platform (Netflix? 7plus?). But then again, they’d still be edited coz not live. I agree it is hard to get to know them, and the editing is definitely trying to sway popular opinion - which is wrong.

As to why would you vote... (etc)...? I dunno. Why would you vote in general?

I’m probably being delusional and living in a dream world but hopefully they find their feet on season 2 and it develops into something great. The show feels very Season 1. It normally takes a couple of seasons for Australian reality shows to flourish.

The housemates would know the final three better than us and therefore would be in the best position to give the money to the winner.

That’s true. Some of these housemates are treating the show like the old days. They just have to sit back and hope the public falls in love with them.

Having a jury at the end would make them play the game better. They would have to be more strategic. At the moment housemates know the final decision is with the public.

But yeah then it’s obviously too much of a copy like Survivor so I don’t know what to do. 🤷‍♂️

I'm torn between whether I'd like them to go back to the original format next year or keep this format but have the public act as the veto, make it live and stretch it out abit. Extremely likely almost certain would not happen, but if they went back to the original format it may be beneficial to get rid of the rule that noms can not be discussed. I know this may be controversial and they did this one year in the UK which resulted in an outrage from the public, but I think this may be a good choice considering I don't think strangers sitting around a pool chatting would cut it these days. I like the thought of big brother being a social experiment but a game at the same time and the strategy could balance the show abit.

One thing I wonder about it not being live and the public not voting is whether it actually takes the pressure off the housemates somewhat who are more invested in "the game" and what's happening in the house rather than worrying about what the public think.

I'm torn between whether I'd like them to go back to the original format next year or keep this format but have the public act as the veto, make it live and stretch it out abit. Extremely likely almost certain would not happen, but if they went back to the original format it may be beneficial to get rid of the rule that noms can not be discussed. I know this may be controversial and they did this one year in the UK which resulted in an outrage from the public, but I think this may be a good choice considering I don't think strangers sitting around a pool chatting would cut it these days. I like the thought of big brother being a social experiment but a game at the same time and the strategy could balance the show abit.
I’m afraid to say the original format is likely dead in Australia, at least for the very foreseeable future.

It should be noted that this isn’t the first time we’ve allowed strategy and nomination talk in BBAU though. There was already elements of nomination chat implemented between 2005-2008 in the Rewards Rooms and Strategy Room. And why do I feel like it was allowed throughout the house during 2014? I can’t remember about 2012 and 2013 though... most of Nine’s era is blocked from my memory.

So it’s not necessarily new to the Australian format. Both versions.

Back