Skip to main content

The Kieran Show

Brekkie

Staff member
This is actually a very old moan - it was a complaint of mine back in the glory days of Big Brother. No housemate is bigger than the show, and whenever the show is built around one housemate is usually fails. Sometimes it's understandable when it's an entertaining housemate worthy of the airtime, but when it's around a dullard who has no entertainment value and is about as interesting to watch as a lettuce it makes no sense at all, and ultimately it's insulting to both viewers and especially the other housemates.

We want Big Brother. We don't want The Kieran Show.

It started from the very beginning with him being pre-selected for a pointless opening night task which added nothing to the show other than boosting the profile of Kieran. It meant the first 15-20 minutes were about Kieran, not about us being introduced to the other housemates. And then the first nominations were all edited around him. The other nominees were barely covered.

This happened again the next night, where suddenly because Kieran ran around panicing trying to get votes because he didn't want to be the first one out producers decided to give him the arc of playing the game. Yes, right!

We then had a night or two off but Mondays show was the worst - actually insulting. He gets another task solely built around him and something completely irrelevent to events in the house - not being able to drive doesn't make you interesting. We know literally nothing else about him - it's as if there is nothing to know. However, what happened later was event more insulting - he didn't win the challenge, was not nominated, but the whole thing was presented to us from Kieran's point of view. Considering Danni, and Zoe in fact, have barely had any airtime, that's not just lazy editing, that is absolutely insulting and you could say sexist. Producers decided their opinion didn't matter.

Once again they're trying to paint him as some sort of master strategist, which he clearly isn't. He told a white lie with little purpose and didn't have the intelligent game play to back it up. Some may say he succeeded in getting Danni out, but that was no move at all and actually once that lie was out there the person he really needed out was Garth. He was too dumb to even vote him out himself.

If you're playing a game you need to own the game. Kieran is just bumbling along and although he may have fooled producers it's good to see others in the house realise he is no threat at all. Xavier doesn't get much airtime but he was spot on in what he said tonight - Keiran is basically an idiot. If you want to see a master strategist at work look up the likes of Will Kirby, Dick Donato, Dan Ghesling, Derrick Levasseur or Kevin Martin - they truly played the game and played the housemates, and at all points knew what they were doing and owned what they were doing. Indeed Tim in Australia back in 2013 kind of played that game as much as he could within the old rules as well.

All were a million times smarter than Keiran will ever be - indeed I'm not sure I've seen a worse player in all the versions of BB I've ever seen. Remember this is someone who can't master a car, never mind 19 other people. He seems to have no genuine relationship at all with anyone in the house - indeed the only reason I can think he gets so much airtime is because the only person he seemed to talk to was Big Brother. That's how the edit looks anyway.

The fault though really lies with producers. Why they are giving us the show pretty much solely from Keiran's perspective is baffling, and it's clear from the comments here and on Twitter that nobody is enjoying it. I'm just hoping his early promiennce means an early exit, but as they need at least 6 non-eviction shows he'll be saved somehow Angie style. The most frustrating thing though is he's being given an edit which gives him a story so if he does get to the end he probably will win, and that'll be thanks to how the show was edited, not what he did (or didn't do) in the house.

Last edited:
Once again they're trying to paint him as some sort of master strategist, which he clearly isn't. He told a white lie with little purpose and didn't have the intelligent game play to back it up.
Conspiracy theory: producers put Kieran up to this.

'Kochie' on Sunrise is feeding the hype.
In an interview with Angela today, he was fawning over her with "You're my favourite. Kieran was my favourite but now I think he's nasty."
A ploy to get people to tune in to see how 'nasty' Kieran is on The Kieran Show.

Being a fully mature, spiritually advanced adult, last night every time Keiran appeared on the scream (I mean screen, Freudian slip!) in the first forty or so minutes, which was pretty well every two minutes - so frequently you might have imagined he was in fact the sole person of interest in the house, someone of wit and humour, able to provide wry observations, a cunning strategist, someone brimming with charm, or even just someone innately likable - I shouted at the TV 'Fuck orf!'

He is up there with Surly the Talking Fish, for me. I just want it to stop.

I think its interesting that the producers thought Australia would back Keiran being the main character of the season but it has really backfired on them. Almost every comment I see on Facebook is about Keiran being so bad at the game and old women saying he's reminds them of their autistic children. It seems nobody is rallying behind Keiran like they did with Tim, Ben, and now Angalicious.

The first mistake with Kieran is that they keep pushing the driving abilities... I'm no expert on humans but bad driving is not a personality trait. Who cares if he can't drive especially when he's been chosen to sit in a house.

Maybe if we learnt more about him we could start to see something in him but all I know of Kieran is that he is a shit driver, licks his lips 🤮 and looks like the Sloth from Zootopia.

20160316185200.jpg

In an interview with Angela today
OK so now I wonder if she really was evicted. Sure she stayed to do the control room task but why would they interview her now if she stays in the game beyond Sunday's ep?

Ian seems to be a better Kieran than Kieran I think.

I think its interesting that the producers thought Australia would back Keiran being the main character of the season but it has really backfired on them. Almost every comment I see on Facebook is about Keiran being so bad at the game and old women saying he's reminds them of their autistic children. It seems nobody is rallying behind Keiran like they did with Tim, Ben, and now Angalicious.

The first mistake with Kieran is that they keep pushing the driving abilities... I'm no expert on humans but bad driving is not a personality trait. Who cares if he can't drive especially when he's been chosen to sit in a house.

Maybe if we learnt more about him we could start to see something in him but all I know of Kieran is that he is a shit driver, licks his lips 🤮 and looks like the Sloth from Zootopia.

View attachment 55564

I don't know about autism, though I think Ian might have it, but it's obvious that Kieran has coordination issues.

If this was screening live or live-ish, they could go back and fix their foolish editing decision to focus so heavily on one housemate to the virtual exclusion of the rest, assuming YouTube eyeballs would translate to ratings. I see they are now popping in days with timestamps, and that is helpful, but I don't think they can fix the way they've skewed the whole show to revolve around one podgy overgrown adolescent with zero charisma (forget uniqueness, nerve, and talent). I am fondly imagining I will relax and enjoy the show when he is finally voted out, but maybe this won't happen.

Ian could've been an interesting lead character on this season. It seems he really has connections with a lot of the different groups in the house which would open up to seeing more housemates unlike Keiran who has stated he's out of the loop. His story arc of being socially awkward and growing into this new sociable man at the end of this is a very likeable and wholesome moment for the audience to back.

Ian could've been an interesting lead character on this season. It seems he really has connections with a lot of the different groups in the house which would open up to seeing more housemates unlike Keiran who has stated he's out of the loop. His story arc of being socially awkward and growing into this new sociable man at the end of this is a very likeable and wholesome moment for the audience to back.

His friendship with Dan is interesting, even if it is fake.

Reactions: kxk
It's somewhat off-topic for this thread.

But, on topic, if other HMs are sitting around, pumping iron, sun bathing, or otherwise NOT providing prime-time, activeness footage, then I can't blame the producers, directors and editors of the show.

Yes, some of the "exclusive extras" via 7Plus do show that other tasks to engage the HMs together have been implemented. So why not put them in the show? If those other activities provided the drama, I'm sure they would have featured in the broadcast episode, and therein lies the problem with what TV execs think drives eyeballs. Drama, drama, drama, bitch, bitch, bitch, fight - yada yada yada.

As I watch each episode, I'm struck by how much time there is in setting up individual shots. They are trimmed to the hilt. The edit is very slick, very fast, to the detriment of setting the scene.

So, if there are a few HMs that provide the footage (let's face it TimD proved that's how to do it), you get into the edits.

/rant

My gut feeling is those rumours way back that producers were "disappointed with the housemates once they got into the house" probably had some substance to it.

A lot of the HMs do appear to be just lying around the pool whenever there's no task on. So the producers have to keep dipping into their bag of 'can act up some footage' housemates, which keeps getting smaller (Allan, Soobong, Talia, Angela, Kieren, Daniel, sometimes Ian). The Kieren show is a result of this.

On the other side of the coin maybe the housemate are lying around the pool because they're exhausted from all these same old endurance and sleep deprivation tasks.

Is it lazy casting to only rely on a handful of housemates to produce most of the footage?

I don't think Kieren is going to see the consequences everyone thinks he deserves. He seems to be the kind of person who can act snakey but generally gets a free pass because people feel sorry for him / he's a bit of a bumbling idiot / he looks boyish. (Also he's white but I'll give that rant a rest).

Was there some big confrontation between Garth and Kieran that we missed? Because all we got was Kieran talking to Garth for a few minutes the morning after. But the ending of Monday's episode made it seem that we were going to get a big argument.

Was there some big confrontation between Garth and Kieran that we missed? Because all we got was Kieran talking to Garth for a few minutes the morning after. But the ending of Monday's episode made it seem that we were going to get a big argument.
I suspect that Garth is not prepared (for some daft reason) to speak up.

He WHISPERED who did it to Danni,

Didn't shout out "it was Keiran", during the pre-vote chat with Sonia - I was screaming at the TV for him to shout it out,

Mind you, Garth may think he can dump this at Kieran's feet if/when it becomes more urgent or strategic.

The main problem is the way the house is playing the game. If you even try to play a strategic or physical game, you're going to get the boot. A lot of people see this, and as a result, they don't do anything! Although Kieren is playing a really bad game, he's giving the producers something to work with, hence why we have this Kieren show.

The main problem is the way the house is playing the game. If you even try to play a strategic or physical game, you're going to get the boot. A lot of people see this, and as a result, they don't do anything! Although Kieren is playing a really bad game, he's giving the producers something to work with, hence why we have this Kieren show.

Kieran is probably strategizing too much. There was no reason for him to start that conflict between Danni and Garth.

I would really like an "Ask Me Anything" with each of the HMs :rolleyes:

Such as - "Kieran, did BB put you up to the Danni lie ?"

Back