Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

Honestly, it's going to annoy most of the BB Fans here but just looking at how Survivor and MAFS rate and the way they're casted and edited - it's actually quite smart of 7 and ESA to not try and recreate the "old big brother" the purists crave because the old format daily shows are boring as batshit to the masses in 2020 and filling an hour and a half timeslot with daily shows like that is just begging for your show to be cancelled. It's had it's hey day, now it's time for another generation of the show to etch new memories into a new generation of audience that are being exposed to Big Brother for possibly the very first time.

Ask yourself 'How do I engage a 13-34 age group audience and retain that audience in 2020?' - Marketable, follow-able, attractive people that are provocative, say silly retweet-able shit and best represent the 4 main occupations that audience works in (Retail, Admin/office workers, Beauty Therapists and Tradies) so your audience can relate as much to your cast as possible and questionable decisions by those cast members (and sometimes production itself) that divide an audience and create buzz and engagement with the show and that need for wanting more when the episode ends - see RuPaul's Drag Race.

I'm prepared for BB2020 to be complete trash, mainly because trash is what brings the flies to your pile now. Television that takes no effort to watch, instills a sense of arrogance into the viewers and the networks love manipulating its audience to feel a certain way, it also helps that people love feeling the pseudo-feels, it's why MAFS has easily averaged a million metro viewers a night for almost 4 years in a row.

I really do want that channel 10 Big Brother back but it's never going to happen simply because the world has descended to shit over the past 12 years and reality TV has evolved so much since 2008..

If they can make it as addictive as Love Island UK is for me, I will be fine with that. But knowing that 7 is the most conservative network in Australia, I expect everything to be watered down.

Also seeing how they have emphasised the 'drama' in MKR this year and it has completely flopped, I dont expect their version of BB to do any better.

Their channel has been unwatcheable for a long time now and apart from the news and some cricket matches, nothing has been rating all that well for them for the past few months.

If they can make it as addictive as Love Island UK is for me, I will be fine with that. But knowing that 7 is the most conservative network in Australia, I expect everything to be watered down.

Also seeing how they have emphasised the 'drama' in MKR this year and it has completely flopped, I dont expect their version of BB to do any better.

Their channel has been unwatcheable for a long time now and apart from the news and some cricket matches, nothing has been rating all that well for them for the past few months.

It depends how much control the network has over the edit and concept . Granted, I know that‘s likely going to be significant, but seeing Survivor completely turn around at the helm of Amelia Fisk is exciting. High production value, the casting of genuinely interesting and strategic players, the incorporation of clever game elements that serve to heighten drama; if any of these elements make their way into BB20 without complete watering down, I’m sure the outcome will be positive.

The format itself is another question... but the US and Canada survive on strategy, big budgets and drama, despite them focusing on casting the same archetypes every season.

It depends how much control the network has over the edit and concept . Granted, I know that‘s likely going to be significant, but seeing Survivor completely turn around at the helm of Amelia Fisk is exciting. High production value, the casting of genuinely interesting and strategic players, the incorporation of clever game elements that serve to heighten drama; if any of these elements make their way into BB20 without complete watering down, I’m sure the outcome will be positive.

The format itself is another question... but the US and Canada survive on strategy, big budgets and drama, despite them focusing on casting the same archetypes every season.

I think the casting will be especially important if they are going to go the USA strategy route. If they fill it with people who are so rigid with the concept of loyalty and mateship the series will be awful. But if they put people on who don't mind deceiving and lying to further themselves in the game then it could have potential to be ok.

I'm surprised nobody posted this here yet
Looks like a more drastic build than what I was expecting. One thing that is weird though is how there are no camera runs on the pool side of the yard though...
maybe mounted robot cams are making a comeback ?

Big Brother will officially return to Channel Seven screens in the second half of 2020.

Olympics start 24 July, so it's not possible for it to start after 1 July (i,e. second half of the year) unless it's Big Brother on Meth where someone gets voted out every day.

24 July is a Friday, so BB could launch:

Sun 3 May (12 week season)
Sun 17 May (10 week season)
Sun 31 May (8 week season)

The thing is, they will still be taping if it's a 10 or 12 week season, whereas with an eight week one it'll be a wrap by the time it launches on air.

Looks like a more drastic build than what I was expecting. One thing that is weird though is how there are no camera runs on the pool side of the yard though...
maybe mounted robot cams are making a comeback ?

If this house follows recent BB house trends you'd be hard pressed to find many two way mirrors if at all... The final BBUK series despite having two way mirrors relied heavily on fix rig cameras for the majority of the series. Manned cameras were only used during tasks and specific events. If anything "camera runs" are only in place to allow production to move throughout the compound without disrupting the entire house.

Last edited:
The thing is, they will still be taping if it's a 10 or 12 week season, whereas with an eight week one it'll be a wrap by the time it launches on air.
So, just coming back to this. If it's a 10 or 12 week season which goes to air mid way through taping, there will be a huge risk of spoilers of the early evictions because a bunch of housemates will all be back at their usual jobs and lives by the time the launch airs. But then I suppose even if the whole season is in the can, people will look them all up on social media and figure out how long they lasted. This whole pre-recording idea is so incredibly stupid. At least if it was live I could run a decent tipping comp!

This house looks really small compared to the old one imo, but maybe it's just because it has a different layout from above

So, just coming back to this. If it's a 10 or 12 week season which goes to air mid way through taping, there will be a huge risk of spoilers of the early evictions because a bunch of housemates will all be back at their usual jobs and lives by the time the launch airs. But then I suppose even if the whole season is in the can, people will look them all up on social media and figure out how long they lasted. This whole pre-recording idea is so incredibly stupid. At least if it was live I could run a decent tipping comp!
I don't think it'll start airing until filming is complete. I think though it has to be remembered that pre-recording it is ultimately about saving money and therefore running it as if it were live on a weekly cycle is not going to happen - no point having 2-3 days a week where contestants aren't doing anything. I suspect the house will operate on a 3-4 day cycle, and I suspect they'll be very little reference to what day it is when the show broadcasts.

I don't think it'll start airing until filming is complete.
I agree. Just means it will have to be a short season in order to tape it and then air it in time for the Olympics. So probably 8 weeks, but as you suggest much faster paced than the previous format. Two evictions a week in that scenario, I'd guess. And not having 24 HMs/intruders either (thankfully).

I agree. Just means it will have to be a short season in order to tape it and then air it in time for the Olympics. So probably 8 weeks, but as you suggest much faster paced than the previous format. Two evictions a week in that scenario, I'd guess. And not having 24 HMs/intruders either (thankfully).

BB in North America has a ton of downtime airing live... Basically the bulk of the entire weeks events happen within the first three to four days of the cycle and then HM's sit around until eviction night. Pre-recording pretty much means they'll have a daily event and maybe one day of downtime prior to the cycle starting over... If at all. With a three or four day cycle they could easily film within five to six weeks at most with a cast of 14 to 16 HM's.

Back