Skip to main content

Australian Survivor Ratings

Tuesday: 562,000

That's a disappointing result... but not nearly as bad as MKR which came in fifth, after ABC and SBS on just 402,000. Ouch.

FWIW, last year Survivor's third ep came in at 562k as well, but as the season unrolled it turned out to be the highest rating season they've made so you never know.

Difference is Survivor is going up against MAFS. Anyone could see that it was going to rate low this time around. Same with DWTS on Sunday.

Why is it going up against MAFS.

MAFS will win every time.

When would they air it instead? What else do they have to run at 7.30? Coming 2nd is better than coming in Seven's spot 😂

Start it later in the year. (maybe in March)

Have I'm a celeb, start a tad later & go for longer. (mid/late Jan)

2015 went for 45 days
2016 went for 45 days
2017went for 46 days
2018 went for 45 days
2019 went for 33 days
2020 went for 30 days

Start it later in the year. (maybe in March)

Have I'm a celeb, start a tad later & go for longer. (mid/late Jan)

2015 went for 45 days
2016 went for 45 days
2017went for 46 days
2018 went for 45 days
2019 went for 33 days
2020 went for 30 days

Either way, MAFS airs until April. Something on TEN will have to go up against it. And by placing Survivor against it TEN has pretty much made it public that they have huge trust in the show and want to expand it.

To each their own, but I can't see why such a large number of people would find MAFS more exciting than Survivor. I do watch it, but so far I've recorded it and not watched any. Survivor on the other hand is a must-see on the same night.

To each their own, but I can't see why such a large number of people would find MAFS more exciting than Survivor.

Because it makes their 'boring' lives 'normal.'

And people like watching 'car crash' tv.

Reactions: kxk
Wednesday: 551,000

This marked the lowest overnight number for Survivor AU since it's aired on 10. Having said that it does tend to drop away at the start of every season so hopefully it'll start to pick up.

Untitled-1.jpg

I wonder if the longer episodes are having an effect on the overnight numbers? Could people be watching later on catch-up to avoid the ads and cut down the running time?

Myself for the first couple of episodes I didn't realise it was two hours and if I'm honest by the time we'd get to the 80 minute mark I was ready for it to end. Two hours is too long IMO to commit to a single reality TV show episode; a movie or a British Murder in the Countryside episode, yeah, but reality TV, nah. I've got shit to do and other stuff to watch! 90 minute episodes are in my sweet spot.

I wonder if the longer episodes are having an effect on the overnight numbers? Could people be watching later on catch-up to avoid the ads and cut down the running time?

Myself for the first couple of episodes I didn't realise it was two hours and if I'm honest by the time we'd get to the 80 minute mark I was ready for it to end. Two hours is too long IMO to commit to a single reality TV show episode; a movie or a British Murder in the Countryside episode, yeah, but reality TV, nah. I've got shit to do and other stuff to watch! 90 minute episodes are in my sweet spot.

Every single person I know who watches survivor either watches it on tenplay or records it. So I would say a lot of people time shfit survivor.

Every single person I know who watches survivor either watches it on tenplay or records it. So I would say a lot of people time shfit survivor.
Absolutely. I only post the overnights for comparison, consistency and immediacy. I could wait for the 28 day combined timeshift figures to come out but by then, who cares? lol

Episode four historically either levels out or improves on the initial viewer drop in my stats so hopefully we will see a bounce in Monday's figures. It's been up against The Block in all previous seasons so it's a bit different this time around. Block reveal eps often caused Survivor's Sunday eps to tank. But this time, no Block and no Sunday eps either, for that matter.

Up against some serious (number) competition with MAFS .... billed as "Australia's most controversial social experiment" and doing around 1 million an ep too.

As an aside, likely a good share of the same viewer demos Channel 7 will be aiming for to generate FTA ad revenue ....not looking good for BB traditionalists, no surprises there, and perhaps even moreso with MAFS taking BBs original positioning and turning it into a dramatic extravaganza of lowbrow, crude behaviour........as much as anything else.

Personally I think for the show to come second in its slot to MAFS is a huge achievement. The fact that there is still a possible 600,00-700,000 people watching it (including time shift) whilst MAFS is on is a phenomenon in itself. MAFS is always going to be #1 so its pretty much out of the question. But I give credit to Channel 10 for being confident enough in the show to air it in this critical period. How the tables have turned from the last couple of years when they struggling with TBL, I'm a celeb and changing rooms up against CH7 and 9.

Agreed - it's doing well. Why do you say MAFS will always be no. 1?

Agreed - it's doing well. Why do you say MAFS will always be no. 1?

At this point in time MAFS is the talk of the town, its the show everyone watches and the show that appears all over your news feed and magazines. Its like what Big Brother was in the early 2000s. It is just simply a juggernaut program just as the block became in 2010 and as Masterchef did in the early 2010s and then MKR in the mid 2010s. But all shows ware thin and become stale. MAFS is thriving right now and especially on the back of last years series, it will do well this year and probably a few more after. It will eventually see ratings decline as every show does after the respective network completely just runs it into the ground from their own arrogance attempting to keep the consistent ratings.

Survivor is slowly building a (broader) audience, and All Stars at the front of rating season, with another later on, is a good way of doing that. MAFS has only been no. 1 since airing at the start of the season too. I personally think Survivor has more, untapped potential, even though it doesn't provide the 'ease' of viewing offered by others (unless you're looking at David).

Hopefully MAFS will eventually eat itself just as MKR has done

Survivor is like blue chip investments, a good long term investment.
9 & 7 make RTV that depends on scripts & scandalous quick returns, and their scripted RTV has a use by date

Monday: 605,000
(MAFS 1,140,000; MKR 439,000)

There's the episode 4 bounce for Survivor at least.

I watch both MAFS and Survivor, but if they're both on at the same time then I do Survivor on catch-up on TenPlay. Possibly one of the reasons is that I actually quite like binging on Survivor and don't mind watching later or catching up on a few episodes in a row at the end of the week, in fact it's the kind of show I can watch the whole season in a couple of days if that is an option (I once went through several U.S. seasons while I was bedridden with a bad cold, just watching from morning till night in between sleeping lol). Meanwhile, I can't imagine binging on MAFS, but I like having it on while I'm eating dinner.

Of course, unfortunately, the downside to doing that is I have to avoid Survivor spoilers, and also can't join in on the forum chat. :(

Last edited:
Back