Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

Is anyone else feeling underwhelmed by Handmaid's Tale this season? It's feeling a bit too slow burn and repetitive this season IMO. Perhaps they need to wrap it up next season.

Each episode we get Elisabeth Moss looking down the camera like "this is it, no more", next episode same thing. I feel like the story is barely hanging together now, I mean what does she have to do to get hung?

That's the problem when TV series adapt a book and then decide they can do the job themselves to extend the show after the book has been covered by the show. I'm sure I've seen this week though there is a sequel to the book out - not sure if it's the same characters but if so had producers kept the show as a "mini-series" a few years later they'd have been the opportunity to do a series based on the sequel too.

Yep, a couple of episode ago I thought maybe it was turning a corner but I can't even be bothered giving it my full attention anymore. Def think they need to wrap it up
Yeah I've found myself skipping the odd week and watching a couple of episodes at a time. Which is telling for something I used to watch ASAP.

Each episode we get Elisabeth Moss looking down the camera like "this is it, no more", next episode same thing. I feel like the story is barely hanging together now, I mean what does she have to do to get hung?
The amount of 'crimes' she's committed should have seen her on the wall or sent to colonies by now. I think the show needs to end with her execution to make sense.

That's the problem when TV series adapt a book and then decide they can do the job themselves to extend the show after the book has been covered by the show. I'm sure I've seen this week though there is a sequel to the book out - not sure if it's the same characters but if so had producers kept the show as a "mini-series" a few years later they'd have been the opportunity to do a series based on the sequel too.
Too true. When the book material is exhausted the quality often declines. Looking at you GOT.

OK, any suggestions who this might be?
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ente...w/news-story/53aa441921ee6fcd57385b2d7ffe3334

Former reality contestant spills explosive details about TV show

(click the link for the full article but these are the important points)

A reality show contestant broke down on radio as he described how appearing on the TV program ruined his life.
The show the man appeared on wasn’t revealed during the interview on Adelaide Mix 102.3’s Jodie & Soda, but news.com.au understands it’s a reality show that ran for more than eight years on Australian TV.

We were unable to listen to any radio or TV or talk to anyone,” he said. He added that he was allowed to make one phone call on Christmas Day to his family but said that a producer listened in on the conversation.

The former contestant told the radio hosts that he had access to a psychologist while he was on the show but suspects that confidential details from his sessions were passed onto producers.

The man broke down in tears on the Mix 102.3 breakfast show as he revealed he was kicked off the show after being involved in a scandal that was heavily manipulated by producers.

“Was your exit on the show portrayed truthfully?” Mark Soderstrom asked. “No,” the former contestant responded. “I was on that show for three months and one bad turn and all of a sudden I’m an evil villain.”

So, it's a show that runs for three months or more, and is/was taped over the Christmas period (i.e. can't be Big Brother).

Any ideas?

I listen to that radio station and heard the interview.
My thought was that it was Mick from Married At First Sight (who was forced to stay many times), but I'm not sure how that tallies with the show running for eight years. Plus, he was a victim, not a villain.

Is it possible it is a big brother contestant from another country? - Or American Survivor?

He said he'd been on the show for three months (apparently including over Christmas), how many shows run that long? Also says that his elimination episode aired about three weeks after he got home, which is very strange because the show would have to have been airing already, and he must have made it pretty close to the end after three months, surely?

Also he mentioned they had to wait two days for the camera crew, so not any show where they are filmed every day.

Masterchef seems like a perfect fit. They drag that show on for ages and it's probably filmed around Christmas time?

My Kitchen Rules too. Biggest Loser possibly?

Last edited:
Masterchef seems like a perfect fit. They drag that show on for ages and it's probably filmed around Christmas time?

My Kitchen Rules too. Biggest Loser possibly?
So has there been a male contestant that has been eliminated due to a "scandal" in the final stages of any of these shows?

I am going to guess it is Josh Meeuwissen from MKR - he was on a couple of years back and painted as the villan.

Have they distorted the voice in the interview? Might be able to work it out if they haven't.

Yes they distorted the voice but you could tell it was male, the accent and roughly the age.

I am going to guess it is Josh Meeuwissen from MKR - he was on a couple of years back and painted as the villan.

Good guess, that is a possibility.

Back