Skip to main content

the random 'LIVE' thread...

It is wonderful @Mr Stickyfingers do catch up and continue with the series.
They have the same family, lovely aren't they, travel through time, a decade each week

When did you arrive?
I think the migrant story will begin next week, just touched on tonight

..we arrived here in 1966 from England and were '10 pound immigrants' and it was quite a culture shock for us when we arrived here lol!... but... I'm so glad and thankful that my mum and dad were so brave to make the big move for the sake of us 3 kids at the time... for that... I will always be so grateful... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
I love these shows, and this one will be like living through Mum's life
The Brit versions are so fantastic

About the show, great 7 episodes
Back in Time for Dinner

Back in 2005 ABC screened Outback House in which families lived like the inhabitants of an 1860s Australian sheep station. SBS also screened The Colony with families from England, Ireland and Australia living in a pioneer setting in the NSW bush.

TV immersing participants in historic recreations has also seen Colonial House, Frontier House, Turn Back Time: The High Street, Electric Dreams and more.

ABC’s Back in Time for Dinner now adopts similar principles, but with an emphasis on how food and cuisines have adapted over the years. One of the few international formats to be reworked for ABC (the original screened on LifeStyle), it spawned Back in Time for the Weekend / Christmas / Tea sequels.

Annabel Crabb is the tour guide of this 7 part series which sees one family, the Ferrones of Sydney, agree to spend several weeks living like a family from another decade. With their house made-over internally, they dispense with mod-cons, television, internet, phones and basic appliances.

The family comprises mum Carol, dad Peter, teens Julian & Sienna and 10 year old Olivia. In the Ferrone household it is Carol who is a career woman and Peter who cooks most of the family meals. But ‘transported’ back in time to the 1950s for episode 1, those roles are reversed as a shock to the system.

“I am quite independent,” Carol explains. “Perhaps I’m a bit naive thinking I won’t lose my independence.”

The house interior is colourfully made-over in gaudy ’50s decor and furniture, with room sizes diminished including a basic kitchen with an icebox for a fridge. It’s the room Carol is about to see from dawn til dusk, including hand-washing the family laundry. The first family meal, consisting of tripe and dripping on bread, does not go down well….

Peter gets to sit back and read newspapers or listen to LP records, while the kids are forced to make their own amusement, and Carol slaves over burnt toast and a gas oven. But young Olivia welcomes the time spent with her siblings.

“I think it might change because they won’t have technology and they won’t have anything to do,” she explains.

Each day marks a new year in the experience, and in 1951 as Peter cycles to work (in a suit, no less), the kids walk (shock!) to school, and poor Carol spends another day of relentless housework. It’s a punishing grind that brings her to tears. Her sole respite is a “Blue Hills” radio serial adding some entertainment into her day.

“I’m starting to realise how easily I’ve got it in 2018,” she admits. “I miss all my appliances that make my life easier.”

Gradually the meals improve, with leftovers -“It’s on the good side of mediocre, but it’s still mediocre,” says Julian- and spaghetti bolognese with the influx of Europeans in the mid 1950s.

Crabb regularly visits the family, joining in the fun, and narrates social history changes such as the first 58 day tour by Queen Elizabeth, the 1956 Olympics, television and the first family car.

Dawn Fraser drops by for a meal and to hear a radio call of an Olympic swim -it’s the first time Fraser has heard it herself. June Dally Watkins also makes a rare TV appearance. A family trip to a retro drive-in (Blacktown) and diner is also a good excuse for fun.

The series works well to recreate its era, with more decades, guests and social history to come. The Ferrone family proves personable and expressive, with mum Carol the stand-out for her honesty, vulnerability and likeability. Sometimes the kids overdo the reactions, perhaps at the behest of eager producers, when their natural skills are sufficient enough.

The key to the series is lesson-learning not reality manipulation. There’s little chance the Ferrones will find themselves at the centre of Sylvania Waters-like notoriety, which is another history lesson in itself.

Just don’t serve me the tripe, thanks.

A family trip to a retro drive-in (Blacktown) and diner is also a good excuse for fun.

...bwahahaha!... that Drive-in is still there kxk... I more or less used to live there in the early 70's... my mates and I used to go there to 'pick up chicks' lol!... wow!... talk about a blast from my past or what?... lol!... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
Not often do you get a free to air, cannot wait for next episode......I cannot wait to see the 60s & 70s

And aww drive-ins were so cool, misspent teen years smuggling people in the boot, and making ourselves child-like for half tickets
(ie pigtails, specs, and shrinking in seats)
We had such fun....used to go to all night horror things, somebody old enough to drive, my brother's friend.

And as kids, we had a double drive-in near us, so you could watch 2 movies same time - one no sound obviously. I remember my little bros asking if we could change the channel when he didn't like a movie
And it is where Dad used to go when he fought with Mum.

We have a couple in Vic, one in Dromana - beach hols place, not too far away; one somewhere in Dandenong, oh and another in Coburg - forget about the mysterious other side of Melbourne

Can't wait, next instalment tonight, brilliant show...

Back In Time For Dinner

'The 1960s'

ABC, 8:30pm, Tue, 5 Jun 2018, 60 minutes

NEW SHOW

The 1960s bring great change to Australian families. The dinner table is the hub of conversation about the role of young women in work & education. While 'housewives' start experimenting with exotic new dishes like Chinese

...................................................................................................................................

Did everyone get Chinese at least once a week? And we took pots they filled up. Did everyone do this, or just us??
Fish & chips every friday....Catholics, sometimes smoked cod instead

Can't wait, next instalment tonight, brilliant show...

Back In Time For Dinner

'The 1960s'

ABC, 8:30pm, Tue, 5 Jun 2018, 60 minutes

NEW SHOW

The 1960s bring great change to Australian families. The dinner table is the hub of conversation about the role of young women in work & education. While 'housewives' start experimenting with exotic new dishes like Chinese

...................................................................................................................................

Did everyone get Chinese at least once a week? And we took pots they filled up. Did everyone do this, or just us??
Fish & chips every friday....Catholics, sometimes smoked cod instead
Yep my mum was a great fan of cooking Chinese. She wasn’t very good at it though. This show is so the story of my life. Can’t wait until next week. I moved out of home in 1971. Lived with 3 guys and did most of the cooking. Mind you I had my fair share of pretentious dinner parties.

Croquembouche prawn cocktails?:p
Mind you the guys were hideous at housework. So I went for 3 weeks of not cleaning anything. No change. We had a house meeting. It ended up with men running around the house naked in the freezing Adelaide winter, but someone else helped me with the dishes.

...hi all... (this is a long read so prepare yourselves folks!)... there have been many discussions between a few of us members for quite a long time now that there is no 'LIVE' thread for when we're between Reality shows or whatever and cannot post 'LIVE' on random shows between the mainstay programmes... so this thread has been set up so that there is somewhere to post 'LIVE' on random shows if a few of us want to talk about shows instead of just hanging on in some shows threads to talk about a particular show irrelevant to the shows thread so this is what this thread is for...

...sometimes we watch shows that are new but have no thread dedicated to them but some of us want to talk about them so this is what this thread is for... if the show takes off then a thread can be created for that particular show and all talk of it would naturally slide over from here over to it's new thread... this thread is like a sort of 'launch pad' for new shows (or old shows too if need be) to be discussed about by whoever is on here while it's on 'LIVE' on the night (or day)...

...also... if anyone wants to bring it to everyone's attention that a particular show is coming onto commercial TV (not everyone has Foxtel/Netflix etc) that they think that people would be interested in then just post it here (a few days early notice would be good) and a few of us may just turn up to talk about it 'LIVE' at the time if we're free...

...there is no use in setting a particular time on a particular night weekly at times because not everyone will be able to make for one reason or another but say we have finished watching 'Survivor' for the night and someone says "hey a certain show has just started on the ABC... it's starting now!" then if we're all able to we can just slide into here to talk about it 'LIVE' for instance...

...another example... if a new show is starting on TV... (say... 'Sisters' on Wednesday night this week)... then one of us might put the time and date up in this thread (a few days earlier would probably be a good idea) and whoever turns up can talk about it 'LIVE'... the good part of that is that it's not up to one person only to do that role... anyone can post up a show and then come on here on the night and perhaps some may turn up to chat about it...

...it's not compulsory of course... some people hate certain shows but myself?... I'm always open to watch a show... any show... at least once even when I don't like the sounds of it... lol!... (The Bachelor/Bachelorette rings a bell for me at least lol!)... and I ended up loving them!...

...we can have the same show on over a couple of weeks until we have to assess it and then perhaps decide whether or not to start its own thread and not to clog up this one with one particular show week after week... we'll know by our reactions on whether the show has enough takers to warrant starting it's own thread for instance...

...some people don't like to watch a show and type at the same time so if they don't want to type 'LIVE' then perhaps do a quick post on how good or bad the show was for the rest of us that may post 'Live' the following week... the possibilities for this thread are boundless when you think about it...

...as I said before... anyone can suggest a show for us to watch... it's open slather lol!... if you come in here on the night and have no takers... don't get disheartened... people might just not be free at the time to watch it... post it for the following week and you may get many takers!... the majority of the time if I'm free I'll try and come in here with you so that you can at least talk to one person lol!...

...the thread is open for ANY TV show whatsoever... there are no limits... Documentaries /Reality TV/ Movies etc... the sky is the limit... and... it can be available on weekends too if people are up to it if needed be... but I do have one exception for myself... I will NEVER come in here to discuss Sports of any type ... that leads to arguments and I won't be a party to it... others may want to but I won't... (perhaps it needs to be a solid Rule if others agree... no Sports!)...

...if anyone has any other ideas to improve or add to this thread then feel free to add to this post... I just thought that instead of just discussing about setting up a thread and procrastinating about it that stuffit!... set it up then we can all 'fine tune' it together... so... does anyone have any thoughts on what else we can do for this thread?... all input will be welcomed... sorry that the post was so long peoples lol!... cheers.
Am I one of the offenders, sorry

...hi kxk... I watched 'Back In Time For Dinner' last night... (thanks for putting me onto it by the way) what a fabulous show... I actually squealed with laughter when she got out the 'Fish Fingers' lol!... my mum was a really big fan of Fish Fingers... not much ourselves... when mum would proudly say "we're having Fish Fingers tonight!"... my brother and sister and I would let out a quiet collective groan under our breaths lol!... mum loved them because they were one of the 'latest wonder foods' in her mind at the time lol!... cheers.

I haven't watched it all yet, keep getting distracted or interrupted....
I think I better find out how to record this to keep forever

Oh yes fish fingers tasted nice as a kid, crunchy nothingness dipped in tomato sauce
And i imagine Deb mashed potato would be in this episode

It is a GREAT show deserves a lot of awards, the entire thing is done so well, and such a likeable family
My all time favourite in this genre is the first one I ever saw....

It was a Brit family living through WW II, it was so brilliant...the Mum of that family decided to keep on living similarly - ie push biking and shopping fresh
And that set off loads of sequels, one was like Upstairs Downstairs

If none of the Think Tank know the answer to a question shouldn’t the question be a Question Impossible?

Well I nearly guessed Question Impossible tonight, but I went for the opposite, cosmos rather than chaos.

...I stumbled onto that show by mistake tonight and... that host sounds so much like Paul McDermott from the Doug Anthony All Stars to me lol!... and... I knew both answers to what 100 in Roman Numerals was which is 'M' and also that it was 'Chaos' in Greek Mythology too... either I'm a friggin' genius because they were what I learned at School but always pretended that I wasn't listening to piss off my Teachers and actually was listening or... I have a mind that remembers useless trivia lol!... cheers.

...I stumbled onto that show by mistake tonight and... that host sounds so much like Paul McDermott from the Doug Anthony All Stars to me lol!... and... I knew both answers to what 100 in Roman Numerals was which is 'M' and also that it was 'Chaos' in Greek Mythology too... either I'm a friggin' genius because they were what I learned at School but always pretended that I wasn't listening to piss off my Teachers and actually was listening or... I have a mind that remembers useless trivia lol!... cheers.

...oh bloody wow!... I just Googled the 'Think Tank' TV show and it IS Paul McDermott!!!!!... I cannot believe that it's him under that beard and grey hair and glasses... lol!... the last time that I had seen him he looked like something as he does in the 2nd image lol!... again... wow!... what a transformation lol!... cheers.

45616FB300000578-4983678-image-m-127_1508124448349.jpg
a1ce92535df080002278dd9387d17d77

...oh bloody wow!... I just Googled the 'Think Tank' TV show and it IS Paul McDermott!!!!!... I cannot believe that it's him under that beard and grey hair and glasses... lol!... the last time that I had seen him he looked like something as he does in the 2nd image lol!... again... wow!... what a transformation lol!... cheers.

45616FB300000578-4983678-image-m-127_1508124448349.jpg
a1ce92535df080002278dd9387d17d77

he looks like a hipster.

Back