Skip to main content

the random 'LIVE' thread...

Brian likes a drink doesn't he

...he does doesn't he?... how good would it be to be slowly getting pissed with Brian and listening to him talk 'piss-talk' about the workings of the Universe and Space etc?... lol!... I'd love to do that... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
...I think that Steven Fry is one of the most fascinating people alive too... talk about super intelligent or what?... I remember seeing him on a TV show once doing his Live show... man!... he is so awesome!... cheers.

Sometimes Australia feels like outerspace, driving across the Nullabor at night it felt unearthly and like you could drive right off into the never never,,,,

Sounds like I should catchup on QA later, what are they arguing about???
I might sign off for the night

Sometimes Australia feels like outerspace, driving across the Nullabor at night it felt unearthly and like you could drive right off into the never never,,,,

...we drove from Sydney to Adelaide and back a few years back and we stopped in the middle of nowhere to look at the Stars... we both felt like we could reach out and touch the Stars... they looked that close... it was such an awesome feeling... cheers.

Sounds like I should catchup on QA later, what are they arguing about???
I might sign off for the night

...no it's not 'QA' kxk... it's 'QI'... it's a panel show that is hosted by Stephen Fry and it has a lot to do with Trivia... it's such a good show... Alan Davies is a regular on the show... cheers.

Oh i love QI....will def catch that, an Aussie pops up now and again

goodnight

When they did a few live QI shows in Australia, Julia, Colin Lane, and Cal Wilson were amongst those on the panels, and got invited to do the tv version. It's pretty good considering Julia is not a professional comedian.

This show on now is awesome

Back In Time For Dinner
'The 1950s'

ABC, 8:30pm, Tue, 29 May 2018, 60 minutes

Series different era each week, the food is gross

...hi kxk...this is what I wrote in the Masterchef thread... so what is the premise for the show kxk?... I'm watching some of it at the moment... so do couples go 'back in time' and live in the 50's for a week or something?... it looks interesting... I've missed half of the show so I might catch up on it with ABC Iplay to watch it all the way through... it may end up on my 'record' list methinks!... cheers.

60s next week will be fun
How cool is this show....we get to relive our childhoods.....as they take us up to now

An error perhaps......they should be drunk more, they drank like fish back then and had no drink driving laws, imagine.............

It is wonderful @Mr Stickyfingers do catch up and continue with the series.
They have the same family, lovely aren't they, travel through time, a decade each week

When did you arrive?
I think the migrant story will begin next week, just touched on tonight

60s next week will be fun
How cool is this show....we get to relive our childhoods.....as they take us up to now

An error perhaps......they should be drunk more, they drank like fish back then and had no drink driving laws, imagine.............

...I'm going to watch the show on catch up from the ABC website as I don't like coming in halfway through a show to watch but it does look good... especially in the 60's... I was a little brat then and refused to eat a lot of foods lol!... and all cooking was done with Lard and Fat lol!... no wonder I'm so healthy now **cough cough wheeze**... lol!... cheers.

I love these shows, and this one will be like living through Mum's life
The Brit versions are so fantastic

About the show, great 7 episodes
Back in Time for Dinner

Back in 2005 ABC screened Outback House in which families lived like the inhabitants of an 1860s Australian sheep station. SBS also screened The Colony with families from England, Ireland and Australia living in a pioneer setting in the NSW bush.

TV immersing participants in historic recreations has also seen Colonial House, Frontier House, Turn Back Time: The High Street, Electric Dreams and more.

ABC’s Back in Time for Dinner now adopts similar principles, but with an emphasis on how food and cuisines have adapted over the years. One of the few international formats to be reworked for ABC (the original screened on LifeStyle), it spawned Back in Time for the Weekend / Christmas / Tea sequels.

Annabel Crabb is the tour guide of this 7 part series which sees one family, the Ferrones of Sydney, agree to spend several weeks living like a family from another decade. With their house made-over internally, they dispense with mod-cons, television, internet, phones and basic appliances.

The family comprises mum Carol, dad Peter, teens Julian & Sienna and 10 year old Olivia. In the Ferrone household it is Carol who is a career woman and Peter who cooks most of the family meals. But ‘transported’ back in time to the 1950s for episode 1, those roles are reversed as a shock to the system.

“I am quite independent,” Carol explains. “Perhaps I’m a bit naive thinking I won’t lose my independence.”

The house interior is colourfully made-over in gaudy ’50s decor and furniture, with room sizes diminished including a basic kitchen with an icebox for a fridge. It’s the room Carol is about to see from dawn til dusk, including hand-washing the family laundry. The first family meal, consisting of tripe and dripping on bread, does not go down well….

Peter gets to sit back and read newspapers or listen to LP records, while the kids are forced to make their own amusement, and Carol slaves over burnt toast and a gas oven. But young Olivia welcomes the time spent with her siblings.

“I think it might change because they won’t have technology and they won’t have anything to do,” she explains.

Each day marks a new year in the experience, and in 1951 as Peter cycles to work (in a suit, no less), the kids walk (shock!) to school, and poor Carol spends another day of relentless housework. It’s a punishing grind that brings her to tears. Her sole respite is a “Blue Hills” radio serial adding some entertainment into her day.

“I’m starting to realise how easily I’ve got it in 2018,” she admits. “I miss all my appliances that make my life easier.”

Gradually the meals improve, with leftovers -“It’s on the good side of mediocre, but it’s still mediocre,” says Julian- and spaghetti bolognese with the influx of Europeans in the mid 1950s.

Crabb regularly visits the family, joining in the fun, and narrates social history changes such as the first 58 day tour by Queen Elizabeth, the 1956 Olympics, television and the first family car.

Dawn Fraser drops by for a meal and to hear a radio call of an Olympic swim -it’s the first time Fraser has heard it herself. June Dally Watkins also makes a rare TV appearance. A family trip to a retro drive-in (Blacktown) and diner is also a good excuse for fun.

The series works well to recreate its era, with more decades, guests and social history to come. The Ferrone family proves personable and expressive, with mum Carol the stand-out for her honesty, vulnerability and likeability. Sometimes the kids overdo the reactions, perhaps at the behest of eager producers, when their natural skills are sufficient enough.

The key to the series is lesson-learning not reality manipulation. There’s little chance the Ferrones will find themselves at the centre of Sylvania Waters-like notoriety, which is another history lesson in itself.

Just don’t serve me the tripe, thanks.

Back