Skip to main content

Episode US Celebrity Big Brother (2018) - (USA/9Now) Episode Discussion

Are you saying the Adblock thingy won’t work?

And I totally agree ie ad volume. I can’t tell you how often I have “what the fuck”ed at the blast of noise! I usually watch with earphones due to my boy’s absolute hatred of anything BB and the sharp spike in volume makes me physically jump!

I use Adblock plus for Firefox... It seems to work with most video sites but not all...

9Now isn't too bad but of course there's no way of skipping the ads but they go more shorter than what you would see on TV. I always mute them anyway because they always seem to be really loud compared to the actual show.

Tenplay has been the worst catch up service in the past. Always glitching and showing multiple ads again and again... Sometimes you would want to scream because it was a nightmare trying to watch an actual show. I'm sure it went way over my 'supposed' allocated ad quota each time. However I think they have improved over the past couple of months thankfully! It follows the 9Now format now slotting ads into the middle of the show at a certain point instead of pausing the program and starting a new video of ads.

If you download Adguard it blocks ads on both 9Now and Tenplay.

Will it work for 9?

I don't really have a way of testing as I don't have a VPN... It's an addon for Firefox and it's simple to remove or disable if it isn't working... Open a new window in Firefox and type about:addons and then search for it in the upper right hand corner...

It won't work in the app. But if you go to 9Now on your browser in your ipad or laptop it does work.
Hmmmm. My iPad won’t let me watch it on a browser. It says I have to go to the app. Any advice?

Mark McGrath would be my current tip to win - nobody seems to be talking about him. Meeta could very much get to the end purely by accident too but I think with so many fans amongst the cast he wouldn't have enough respect as a player amongst the jury to take the win. Ideal final 2 partner though perhaps.

Entertainment wise I'm loving Brandi so far. On paper just had her down as reality trash and yes, she probably is, but she's very entertaining reality trash - but also a bit smarter than she lets on really.

I am thinking CBB US didn't rate because the format is way too different to what we are used to. The whole show is the houseguests strategising who to nominate and vote off + them competing in competitions. There is no real viewer engagement with the show and we don't really get to know the houseguests as people as a lot of them seem to have put on a persona just for the show.

All this makes it very hard for Australians to connect with the show. I doubt I will watch anymore BB US after this season. I will stick to BB UK, I am watching their latest CBB at the moment and its a million times better than the US one.

Reactions: kxk
I am thinking CBB US didn't rate because the format is way too different to what we are used to. The whole show is the houseguests strategising who to nominate and vote off + them competing in competitions. There is no real viewer engagement with the show and we don't really get to know the houseguests as people as a lot of them seem to have put on a persona just for the show.

All this makes it very hard for Australians to connect with the show. I doubt I will watch anymore BB US after this season. I will stick to BB UK, I am watching their latest CBB at the moment and its a million times better than the US one.
I agree. This is not the BB I know and love. But I have accepted the show is like Survivor meets a house rather than a jungle rather than BB. With that acceptance that it isn’t what I want it to be, I have genuinely fallen in love with the show. And I TOTALLY agree cbbuk leaves this show for dead. However I do think we get to see people rather than personas and I am absolutely feeling viewer engagement.

Okay so I have caught up!

The sports guy not understanding the vote process and thinking he was voting to keep rather than evict made me lollllll :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really like watching them all! Omg it was so sad seeing Keisha so visibly upset and I found it was hard to watch, I’m glad she left, her baby needs that milk. It’s tough being a single mum. I remember when her pregnancy broke the father publicly denied paternity, such a wicked thing to do. Omarisa tbh I don’t know her and I don’t get the online hate a couple of you have shared. I see her as a strong black woman who has an opinion, I enjoy watching her speak her views and on a few occasions she has given me food for thought. I have an absolute soft spot for Mark, I lusted over him in the 90’s. Shannon is definitely playing too hard! She needs to dial it back a tad. Does anyone see Alanis Morrissett when they look at her?

I really want to see Brandi stay because over the years she has given me so many omfg reality moments and as pathetic as it is, I LIVE for reality omfg moments. And I want James to stay for Jordan.

My absolute faves are Ross and Marissa, and my dream winner at this point is defs Ross.

I don't know about that one... Like I said before having the show air in a "later" time slot on a secondary channel did no one any favors... That and they really did a poor job in promoting it... I mean they really only started promoting it a little over a week before it started airing...

Okay so I have caught up!

The sports guy not understanding the vote process and thinking he was voting to keep rather than evict made me lollllll :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really like watching them all! Omg it was so sad seeing Keisha so visibly upset and I found it was hard to watch, I’m glad she left, her baby needs that milk. It’s tough being a single mum. I remember when her pregnancy broke the father publicly denied paternity, such a wicked thing to do. Omarisa tbh I don’t know her and I don’t get the online hate a couple of you have shared. I see her as a strong black woman who has an opinion, I enjoy watching her speak her views and on a few occasions she has given me food for thought. I have an absolute soft spot for Mark, I lusted over him in the 90’s. Shannon is definitely playing too hard! She needs to dial it back a tad. Does anyone see Alanis Morrissett when they look at her?

I really want to see Brandi stay because over the years she has given me so many omfg reality moments and as pathetic as it is, I LIVE for reality omfg moments. And I want James to stay for Jordan.

My absolute faves are Ross and Marissa, and my dream winner at this point is defs Ross.

Omarosa is kind of like the Speidi of The Apprentice... She's your typical arc-typical reality villain...

Here's a clip of her stint on The Surreal Life which was a kind of CBB of it's time...

Omarosa is kind of like the Speidi of The Apprentice... She's your typical arc-typical reality villain...

Here's a clip of her stint on The Surreal Life which was a kind of CBB of it's time...

Oh okay. I never watched The Apprentice. Donald Trump has always made me gag. I was first introduced to Speidi in cbbuk and I loved spencer in particular.

I have never heard of The Surreal Life but it looks awesome, and I agree that certainly wasn’t one of her best moments. :laugh:

I don't know about that one... Like I said before having the show air in a "later" time slot on a secondary channel did no one any favors... That and they really did a poor job in promoting it... I mean they really only started promoting it a little over a week before it started airing...
They really did. I only found out about the series playing on 9 from here!

Oh okay. I never watched The Apprentice. Donald Trump has always made me gag. I was first introduced to Speidi in cbbuk and I loved spencer in particular.

I have never heard of The Surreal Life but it looks awesome, and I agree that certainly wasn’t one of her best moments. :laugh:

I guess if you haven't really watched anything she's been on before you might have a different view of her... I'll give Omarosa some credit... She wasn't half as bad as I thought she'd be in the first few episodes... IMO she's always been the kind of person to stir the pot and then play the victim card...

Here's another vid...

For me personally it's too much of a chore to watch the show because every episode is the same thing and consists of nothing but non stop gameplay. I don't think that kind of format will ever catch on in Australia. I don't think the later timeslot has anything to do with it, 8:30, 9:30 is not that late and I have seen heaps of advertising both online on Facebook and Snapchat as well as on Channel Nine itself during their most popular program, Married at First Sight. People just aren't interested.

For me personally it's too much of a chore to watch the show because every episode is the same thing and consists of nothing but non stop gameplay. I don't think that kind of format will ever catch on in Australia. I don't think the later timeslot has anything to do with it, 8:30, 9:30 is not that late and I have seen heaps of advertising both online on Facebook and Snapchat as well as on Channel Nine itself during their most popular program, Married at First Sight. People just aren't interested.

I don't think the format has anything to do with it... Survivor seems to be fairly popular now in Australia and BBUS is essentially Survivor in a house... In terms of advertising as someone who's worked in promotions you don't just throw up a few ads a week before an event and expect a huge turnout... Also one of BBAU 2014's biggest errors was pushing the show back in to an 8:30 time-slot... So it's hard to argue that time-slots don't matter...

ETA: CBB US is also competing against another Celebrity show as well as the Olympics...

If it was really just the format that was turning people off I think we would have seen a spike in ratings followed by a massive drop... The series started with such low numbers that it's obvious people just didn't weren't interested or didn't know the show was on... I'm not sure Australian audiences would really even know right off the bat that in North America BB follows a different format...

Last edited:
Back