Skip to main content

Celebrity Big Brother returns to Aussie TV

Brekkie

Staff member
And sooner than you think - in an interesting move Nine are airing the inaugural US version of Celebrity Big Brother on 9Go from the 11th February.

It's such big new marquisite has written an article:

http://www.behindbigbrother.com/2018/02/international-big-brother-is-coming-to-aussie-television/

And the international forum thread for the series is here:
http://www.behindbigbrother.com/forums/threads/celebrity-bbusa-confirmed-for-winter-2018.55120/

The housemates are already in, house pics and housemate details have been released and it premieres on CBS on 7th Feb, airing for just under three weeks over 13 episodes. 9Go will screen it a few days later, premiering 11th February.

The big question is though - are Nine testing the water, either for a full on Aussie revival or just filling some 9Go airtime with BBUSA, or if you're very lucky, Big Brother Canada. And although I wouldn't wish BBUK on you in it's current state the current Celebrity BBUK, which ends tonight, is widely regarded as the best series C5 have done since taking on the franchise eight years ago.

Now, the important question...
Could we get our own version out of this (BBAU back in any form/format) if this is successful?

Also, the website main page is broken

Last edited:
Reactions: Tee
Could we get our own version out of this (BBAU back in any form/format) if this is successful?

I wouldn't count on it... I'd say that this is just cheap programing for Channel 9 during the Olympics and a bit of competition for I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here...

I really struggle to fall in love with the American version. It seems so scripted to me. I have never found the voice over distracting when watching AU or UK, but last time I tried to watch BB USA I found the voice over super distracting and simply couldn't watch it. I am always ready to give it another crack though. Hopefully this time I'll get hooked.

I really struggle to fall in love with the American version. It seems so scripted to me. I have never found the voice over distracting when watching AU or UK, but last time I tried to watch BB USA I found the voice over super distracting and simply couldn't watch it. I am always ready to give it another crack though. Hopefully this time I'll get hooked.

If you're going to watch I think it's best to think of it as an entirely different show... The voice-over is really only there at the beginning and the end of the episode with the HG's narration filling in the gaps... Also the story-line on the broadcast version is very much game-driven... It also airs on a very restricted schedule and there is only so much content that can be crammed in to 3 or in the case of CBB 4 episodes per week... Usually those that want a bit more depth to the show subscribe to the live feeds... Even then it is still very much game-driven...

This is exciting. I hope that it’s to test the waters and will lead to some sort of reboot of Big Brother AU, it’s been off the air too long

This is exciting. I hope that it’s to test the waters and will lead to some sort of reboot of Big Brother AU, it’s been off the air too long

I wouldn't get your hopes up... It is likely just cheap programing for Channel 9 that helps provide some counter programing during the Olympics and provides some friendly competition for IACGMOOH... They already turned down an offer to produce a CBB series in 2015 and I doubt they have any interest in producing one now... For what it's worth it is much easier and cheaper for Channel 9 to air BB from another country than it is to produce their own series... You may see more international series aired in Australia in the future but it is very unlikely anything further will develop... At least not from Channel 9...

Interesting... It seems like a great way to cull any potential piracy and bump up their ratings... I'm hopeful this will develop a somewhat loyal Australian audience...

The ad they put on their Facebook page yesterday has been viewed 23,o00 times and there are hundreds of comments underneath it, so you would hope so.

I think Big Brother Australia is gone for good. I wouldn't want the show to be brought back anyway unless they could bring it back to the way it was on Channel Ten.

I will be checking out this US Celebrity version. I have never watched a International Big Brother series before.

I think Big Brother Australia is gone for good. I wouldn't want the show to be brought back anyway unless they could bring it back to the way it was on Channel Ten.

I will be checking out this US Celebrity version. I have never watched a International Big Brother series before.

These days I wouldn’t rule out any show returning. This is the era of reboots.

I hope that we are able to get Big Brother Australia back on our television screens once again. And if that means full and utter support of the upcoming American celebrity version, then that is a commitment I that I am strongly willing to make.

These days I wouldn’t rule out any show returning. This is the era of reboots.

As @reepbot said all Nine care about is ratings... If this version is bringing in ratings it's significantly more cost effective for them to just air international versions than it is to produce a series of their own... I think it's safe to say the chances of another "reboot" are extremely slim... If at all...

Back