Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

My eyes fell out of my head when I read that one of the shonkiest political parties in the forthcoming election, Health Australia Party, were campaigning on a ticket of 'mindfulness'. Hmmmm...
They're the anti-vaccination loonies yeah?

I cannot believe they drew the number 1 column on the Senate voting form in NSW, and will undoubtedly score a whole bunch of donkey votes from idiots.

I've been reading about so many deceptive parties.

As mentioned already the health party is just an anti vaxxer campaign and the Australian Liberty Alliance is against resettling refugees whilst the Sustainable Australia Party has nothing to do with renewable energy like you'd expect but instead is inherently anti immigration!! The Animal Justice Party is literally just about stopping live export and doesn't even focus on the environment and have previously preferences the greens.

Maybe this is no problem to others but these do not at all align with my interests although on the surface I might be fooled into thinking they do.

I can watch on Australia Plus (they'll carry the ABC's coverage). But I also have a VPN which gives me access to (almost unwatchable) streams of Seven and Nine. But like you, I normally surf depending on who is on their panels.

I paid for a year of this VPN. I think they offer a 30 day money back guarantee and so far I have to say I'm not impressed, so they will probably be hearing from me soon.
I forgot you were OS. Online is never as satisfactory. I'll start with the ABC and go from there.

...strange... I've received about 8 political automated phone calls from Malcolm Turnbullshit and none whatsoever from Labor?... something I said Bill?... cheers.

I've been reading about so many deceptive parties.

As mentioned already the health party is just an anti vaxxer campaign and the Australian Liberty Alliance is against resettling refugees whilst the Sustainable Australia Party has nothing to do with renewable energy like you'd expect but instead is inherently anti immigration!! The Animal Justice Party is literally just about stopping live export and doesn't even focus on the environment and have previously preferences the greens.

Maybe this is no problem to others but these do not at all align with my interests although on the surface I might be fooled into thinking they do.

i voted for the Animal Justice Party in the senate!

I would just like the opportunity to vote since I pay taxes in Australia, and my main work is regarding providing evidence to government, but unless I want to pay thousands to go through becoming a perm resident (if I am deemed to have the right skills) and then a citizen I'm out of luck.

The senate paper is so looooooooong. And I have no witness. And Brexit sucks. And I'm worried about Barney in Rake. Ohhhh. Everything is soooo difficult.

grumbles - I wrote stuff and was too late in edit!

I was saying that if Mal called me on his private number, I would not answer as I never answer them type of calls - Put your fricken number up! There has been no real Adverts on TV here for Labour but, then again we are in a safe liberal seat and I would say Nola has it in the bag and Mal knows that.

We have had some ads from some party that is about not being offended by what others say (not sure who or what that is about)

So all in all - I need to do more research - Mainly for the Senate

Ban the Pokies????????????

Last edited:
Also I feel like doing what Mal wants us NOT to do! A curve ball is always good to keep those bastards honest LOL

I voted the other week.

I voted for the independents in the senate. (seeing as Turncoat, told us they were evil)

Didn't vote for the Nick Xenophon party, as he voted to change the senate voting etc.

We need the independents so the major parties don't have control of both houses.

Voted Labor in the lower house. Though they won't win in my electorate as the Gold Coast is all Conservatives members & will always be that way.

Reactions: kxk
I voted the other week.

I voted for the independents in the senate. (seeing as Turncoat, told us they were evil)

Didn't vote for the Nick Xenophon party, as he voted to change the senate voting etc.

We need the independents so the major parties don't have control of both houses.

Voted Labor in the lower house. Though they won't win in my electorate as the Gold Coast is all Conservatives members & will always be that way.

Karen Andrews is my member.

Karen Andrews is my member.

Same here.

Searches
images
to see if I can find reepbot.

I tell ya, it was a pretty sad affair voting at the Australian Embassy in Phnom Penh. They take your phone off you as you enter, you go through a metal detector and then through a courtyard into another building. Take a seat for a while in the "queue" (I arrived at a busy time and there were 3 or 4 people ahead of me).

No how-to-vote cards. And worst of all, NO SAUSAGE SIZZLE. Bloody hell, it was like voting in NZ.

And they won't even count my vote on the night. They all get bundled up, still sealed, and sent back to Australia.

I tell ya, it was a pretty sad affair voting at the Australian Embassy in Phnom Penh. They take your phone off you as you enter, you go through a metal detector and then through a courtyard into another building. Take a seat for a while in the "queue" (I arrived at a busy time and there were 3 or 4 people ahead of me).

No how-to-vote cards. And worst of all, NO SAUSAGE SIZZLE. Bloody hell, it was like voting in NZ.

And they won't even count my vote on the night. They all get bundled up, still sealed, and sent back to Australia.
Mine is even more boring. I just take it to the post office.

While waiting in the queue to vote a woman in an unbranded puffer jacket walked alongside with a handful of flyers asking everyone 'are you voting liberal today?' so I asked why the double dissolution trigger played no part in the election campaign. She replied 'she doesn't know as she's not with the Liberal party'. She was handing out Greens how to vote cards pretending to be a Liberal.

I voted for the independents in the senate
If you only voted the minimum of six parties/groups and none of them get in, your vote won't count at all. You need to make sure at least one of the choices you numbered has a reasonable chance of getting up because they don't have the old formal preference deals any more. Once your six (or more) choices are ruled out, your vote is gone.

Back