Skip to main content

R U OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thank you everyone for the kind thoughts and support. It is not good, she is very ill and lives so far away.
She got to go home for her son's birthday, and we spent time setting everything up she needs. Spent 3 weeks there, and had to come home.
I got a call when I landed - she is back in hospital. Her 2 boys, hubbie and son, have their heads in the sand, they don't seem to get how to be with somebody in a wheelchair just out of hospital, you can't leave her for long periods and hide the way they do, I think they are both in shock.
I will be clocking up frequent flier points, regularly.

Hello and thank you everyone for the kind thoughts and support. It is not good, she is very ill and lives so far away.
She got to go home for her son's birthday, and we spent time setting everything up she needs. Spent 3 weeks there, and had to come home.
I got a call when I landed - she is back in hospital. Her 2 boys, hubbie and son, have their heads in the sand, they don't seem to get how to be with somebody in a wheelchair just out of hospital, you can't leave her for long periods and hide the way they do, I think they are both in shock.

Thinking of you! *hugs*

Oh no.. that's not good. I'm so sorry to hear that :( I guess it is hard for some people to accept what is going on with a loved one and like you said, they may be in shock. Hopefully they will come around & after the shock wears off they will see a little more clearly. Are there any support people at the hospital you could contact & explain your concerns to? Maybe they could then have a chat with her hubby and let them know about any home help options that may be available for your sister and her family.

Thoughts are with you and like before.. if you need anything, just holla. *hugs* xXx

Reactions: kxk

Gee. that is not good, but I do understand about the head in the sand senario. It is never an excuse to give up, unless the person suffering has wanted that, and does not want to continue, in this lifes journey ..... I have no idea what your sis is going through or what it is that has made her so sick ... might sound negative, but has her support system (hubbe and boys) given up on her or has she in herself :(
Anyway, I am close - well sorta - to Bridgetown, a coffe break on the way? I am packing and getting ready to move on, but am here if you need someone.

Was WA an OK experience in the end?

Oh no.. that's not good. I'm so sorry to hear that :( I guess it is hard for some people to accept what is going on with a loved one and like you said, they may be in shock. Hopefully they will come around & after the shock wears off they will see a little more clearly. Are there any support people at the hospital you could contact & explain your concerns to? Maybe they could then have a chat with her hubby and let them know about any home help options that may be available for your sister and her family.

Thoughts are with you and like before.. if you need anything, just holla. *hugs* xXx

Likewise - The Western Sisters will allways be here for you xxxxx

I would love to meet up with you lovely Western sisters - on one of what will be many trips, wherever you guys are, sometime in the future.
My sis has cancer, they gave her 3-6months, and she & I are, WTF...how does that happen so suddenly.
Lungs, breast, back, it is very bad. She endured a 6 hour op on her back, saved her spine, legs not working. But movement in feet & lower legs - and she is determined to get upright.
Now, say she has 12 months and chemo starts next week, has had a course of radiotherapy.
My sis, also has borderline personality disorder, complicates everything.
She was only in her 20s when she was gang raped and dumped in a field and left for dead, of course this has effected her whole life since.
She has the worst luck healthwise, eg appendicitis as a kid, and her appendix was on the wrong side.

WA experience - well I used to wonder if I would like to live back in WA, not anymore, Perth has exploded into just another big city, yuck. I didn't actually do more than drive through quickly getting to the train - wow the trains now that never existed.
I liked it when it was like a big country town, and we were young and wild, and it seemed we could do whatever we wanted. I worked for a magazine and we had the time of our lives.

Everyone I have known over there lives down south, and I said it would be convenient to fly straight there - well that is going to happen apparently Busselton is building an airport for interstate flights.
That would be so awesome, for now I fly 4 hours, drive 4-5 hours, that sucks, but I have a set up now - I train it to Mandurah, meet my old bestie, then another friend from Waroona picks me up stay the night & rest, drive to Bridgetown.
Bridgetown is so gorgeous, the prettiest little town. They have a teeny tiny christmas shop! Some old shops only as wide as one person.
And my sis, she lives in the middle of a beautiful orchard.

I feel better having met her doctors, nurses, and support in general.

Sorry to hear the latest on your sister kxk. It's good that she has strong support from you and others. Make sure you take care of yourself too.

What pisses me off - I have yet to find a family member who is mature and stable, bunch of babies.
It is horrible and shocking - and you must get that out of your system and offer unemotional support.

They are all wailing about, ME< ME< ME. Right now I find them all disgusting. I cried and cried before I got there, and then you must put that away, she has to have a solid something to lean on.
She has stopped taking their calls, they are depressing and upsetting her.
How do I shake them & get them on board???

...oh dear kxk... that is so terrible... you are amazing me with your strength and courage within all of this... it is so good that your sister has a sister that is so dependable... kudos to you... and I'm also blown away with all of the kindness and support that you are receiving from our fellow forum members... take a bow you wonderful people... you are a credit to yourselves... it's just amazing how complete strangers can suddenly band together as a cyber family when needed... my heart goes out to both you and your sister as this unfolds... hang in there kxk... you wonderful person you... cheers.

I am nothing special, but I am the family leaning post, every family has one, thankfully my bestie is her family post and she inspires and helps me.

I have been trained to contain emotions - and as my sis loves the Vikings and viking women tales, that is who we have for inspiration.
I just keep telling myself to eat cement, and to her to fight like a Viking:)

And yes, beautiful people here - including YOU, how is your health?

What pisses me off - I have yet to find a family member who is mature and stable, bunch of babies.
It is horrible and shocking - and you must get that out of your system and offer unemotional support.

They are all wailing about, ME< ME< ME. Right now I find them all disgusting. I cried and cried before I got there, and then you must put that away, she has to have a solid something to lean on.
She has stopped taking their calls, they are depressing and upsetting her.
How do I shake them & get them on board???

I think not taking their calls is a good idea. I worked a lot with difficult families and another method that sometimes works is one point of contact - saying she has too much going on at the moment to talk to directly and that one person can relay information/updates to other family members via phone/email etc. It also means she can filter what people know as well. People do tend to make other people's problems their own, unfortunately, but at least if someone is filtering it for her, she doesn't have to deal with that on top of everything else.

I am nothing special, but I am the family leaning post, every family has one, thankfully my bestie is her family post and she inspires and helps me.

I have been trained to contain emotions - and as my sis loves the Vikings and viking women tales, that is who we have for inspiration.
I just keep telling myself to eat cement, and to her to fight like a Viking:)

And yes, beautiful people here - including YOU, how is your health?

...I have been bed ridden for the last two days with the flu big time... because of my medication for my stroke last year I'm not allowed to take any other tablets for anything... especially for the Flu so I've just got to battle through it and keep drinking water... that's all I'm allowed... I'm sweating then going freezing cold and then sweating again... overall though... other than the Flu everything else is good with me... thanks for asking... and by the way... you are special kxk... you care... you have a good heart... cheers.

@delcan that is great advice!!

@kxk Urgh what a life story your sister has. I am so sorry to read that and the struggles she is going through now. It's so tough when you have a terminal family member. My heart truly goes out to you and your sister xXxXxXx

...I have been bed ridden for the last two days with the flu big time... because of my medication for my stroke last year I'm not allowed to take any other tablets for anything... especially for the Flu so I've just got to battle through it and keep drinking water... that's all I'm allowed... I'm sweating then going freezing cold and then sweating again... overall though... other than the Flu everything else is good with me... thanks for asking... and by the way... you are special kxk... you care... you have a good heart... cheers.

Hope you feel better soon Sticky x My OH has the flu and he is making noises like a wounded animal giving birth. Man flu. There's nothing like it. I hope he feels better soon too lol.

Hope you feel better soon Sticky x My OH has the flu and he is making noises like a wounded animal giving birth. Man flu. There's nothing like it. I hope he feels better soon too lol.

...thanks shaydee... Man flu is the worst possible flu that anyone can get of course... I just hate the sweating and the chills coming and going... except for two pieces of toast I haven't eaten for two days... I can't keep it down... I just keep drinking plenty of fluids and sleep a lot... I'm such a wuss aren't I?... lol!... cheers.

...thanks shaydee... Man flu is the worst possible flu that anyone can get of course... I just hate the sweating and the chills coming and going... except for two pieces of toast I haven't eaten for two days... I can't keep it down... I just keep drinking plenty of fluids and sleep a lot... I'm such a wuss aren't I?... lol!... cheers.

Awww no.. you're not a wuss. Flu is nasty & seeing my OH so ill makes me feel bad for mocking the man flu. That was mean of me, so i'm making home made chicken soup for him.. poor thing. I wish I could send you some too. I hope you feel better very soon Sticky xXx

Awww no.. you're not a wuss. Flu is nasty & seeing my OH so ill makes me feel bad for mocking the man flu. That was mean of me, so i'm making home made chicken soup for him.. poor thing. I wish I could send you some too. I hope you feel better very soon Sticky xXx

...thanks Shaydee... last night in bed I sweated buckets unfortunately for my darling wife... she woke up during the night and she was covered in sweat from me... her nightie was drenched the poor thing... but that may have been the turning point for me because I feel just a tad bit better today... more so than in the last two days... I'm still as sick as a dog but I feel that I've started my recovery process now thank god... thanks for your concern and also... that chicken soup sounds fabulous!... lucky Mr Shaydee I say... cheers.

Oh @Mr Stickyfingers that sucks, can't you have a flu jab? Having mine tomorrow, I have a shit immune system, plus anyone around sis must keep germs away, it is imperative - just glad I haven't caught anything.
And ask your doctor if you can take - Astra Forte, a Chinese herbal remedy, you can get it at healthfood places and some chemists now.

I cannot take cold/flu stuff, they have weird chemicals that make me feel more ill.

Astra relieves symptoms, clears the head/nose, it is awesome. Does what cold/flu stuff does without side effects. In general it is good for your immune system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back