Skip to main content

2014 Ratings Thread

Home and Away was #1 in the two younger demos which means BB was again #1 in it's timeslot in those two.

@IRT5 where was BB in 25-54?
None of the top 5 in that demo were in the same timeslot...
1. Nine News 6:30
2. Home and Away
3. Nine News
4. Seven News / Today Tonight
5. A Current Affair

In fairness (@tedfthis )

In TOTAL PEOPLE NUMBERS....

BB was beaten by NCIS on Ten, DWTS in the first hour on 7.
It was down 59,000 from last Tuesday and down 72,000 from 2 weeks ago!

25-54 #6

Last Tuesday consolidated
+ 77,000 + 13.3% 4th most time shifted show (NCIS number one with +157,000)

These are preliminary numbers - and I noticed that BB started well after the on screen EPG stated so the numbers will probably be adjusted down.

That is the worst Tuesday result for 2014. I think that any hope that BB will return next year was dealt a major blow with last week's ratings. Some positive spin was given by a couple of people quoted above a few weeks ago no doubt with an expectation that the numbers would be steady and hopefully increase as they usually do in the last couple of weeks. However, the numbers have been worse each week since. I think we might look back at last week as the week that BB died - and say that it was the cricket that killed it.

Last edited:
The ratings for last night were abysmal.
Lawson and Cat going sucked the air out of what was left of this season.
Who really cared about Tom getting evicted? Not me.

In fairness (@tedfthis )

In TOTAL PEOPLE NUMBERS....

BB was beaten by NCIS on Ten, DWTS in the first hour on 7.
It was down 59,000 from last Tuesday and down 72,000 from 2 weeks ago!

Thanks, I was just about to post this:

Tuesday Oct 28th Big Brother 14th - 591,000
Tuesday Nov 4th Big Brother 18th - 578,000
Tuesday Nov 11th Big Brother - 519,000

There is a definite pattern there and it isn't UP.

But I dont need to bother now, do I :).

Wednesday, 12th November 2014 - Eviction

Overnight viewers: Not in the top 20 (rated lower than 468,000)
Ranked in total people: Not in the top 20

Demographics:
25-54 (not in the top 5)
18-49 (not in the top 5)
16-39 #2

They probably should have left it as a quadruple eviction this week meaning that at least one non-neighbours housemate would have been evicted.

It was a very low rating night... people are definitely in summer mode - shame its a couple of weeks premature.

Highest rating program (seven news) couldn't even get a million!

Ultimately they lost a lot of viewers in the first couple of weeks. Inconsistent and late scheduling is to blame I think!!

I think we lost a lot of families. Parents not letting their children stay up as late to watch.

Do we think it was less 'sanitized' this year? If so, then it seems it was at the expense of a lot of the viewing audience...

Ultimately they lost a lot of viewers in the first couple of weeks. Inconsistent and late scheduling is to blame I think!!

I think we lost a lot of families. Parents not letting their children stay up as late to watch.

Do we think it was less 'sanitized' this year? If so, then it seems it was at the expense of a lot of the viewing audience...

I think it was about the same sanitisation as previous years. What really hurt the show this year was the inconsistent scheduling, crappy editing, too many stunts and lack of any extra information on the website to incite people to visit it and tune into the show.

Last night 463,000 (preliminary)
Total people #21
25-54 #12
18-49 #7
16-39 #2

Week before
Add 25,000 consolidated to GO! number + main channel in Perth = 391,000

Last edited:
Oh, that's bad. B. A. D. Bad.

They've screwed with the schedule so much, and then the format, and then carried on so much about it being a family friendly show, that repeats before 6pm on Go! Blah blah blah. But I find a lot of the content really cringingly not family friendly. That thing about a person's numbers last night. Ye gods. Spare the children that sort of information.

I have to believe that Nine wants to beat that price down for the renewal!

Wednesday, 12th November 2014 - Eviction

Overnight viewers: Not in the top 20 (rated lower than 468,000)
Ranked in total people: Not in the top 20

Demographics:
25-54 (not in the top 5)
18-49 (not in the top 5)
16-39 #2

Obviously NOT what we want to see. Whats the emoticon for surprised? The second sentence is the sarcastic bit, bleachy_dude :).

If they dont capture and engage the audience in the first few episodes of series like this, then the viewers gradually drop off. The speed in which the viewers turn off in their droves, are only magnified and quickened, by a house full of same-same people doing same-same tasks. But with less air time, we dont get enough time to engage with the players. I'm not an idiot (though some might disagree with that) but it was WEEKS, not DAYS, before I could remember all of the housemates names. All because of less viewing time and very selective editing. It was as though they were saving their supposed big gun - TEFLON, for a later date. If he had anything worthwhile to offer, or even if he didnt, we should have been shown him, before week 5.

It is supposed to be a game after all, where Big Brothers rules, rule. Yet, there didnt seem to be any rules at all this year. Whoever devised the set of tasks for this year and whoever 'chose' these housemates and whoever 'chose' to reduce our viewing hours, should be sacked for incompetence. They have taken, which on paper, is STILL a good concept and ruined it, by taking it as far away from the earlier series, that they could. Once you start letting casting and modelling agencies pick your players for you, you are going to have these same-same people and a disconnect with your targeted audience, of which probably 10,000 of them took the time and made the effort to AUDITION. For people to be let in through the back door through agencies, or by their connections with former or present housemates, reeks of unfairness, which is something that most Australians dont like. ARE YOU LISTENING TONY ABBOTT. Bring back Peter Abbott :).

OMG it nearly got beat by Wonderland last night, Wonderland for gods sake!!! It was also fourth in it's timeslot among 18-49s. That is horrendous. Sadly I don't think we will be seeing it next year. Imagine if Skye is the last ever winner of BB Australia :vomit:

Thought there might be some interest in ratings per city

City - Ranking in total - Ranking in 18-49
Sydney #22 #10
Melbourne #18 #2
Brisbane #21 #9
Adelaide #25 #7
Perth #31 #20

Brisbane used to give BB its best results due to the Gold Coast especially being part of the Brisbane service area - not sure why the change.
In Perth Big Brother was beaten by The Big Bang Theory on GO!

Back