Skip to main content

Is Alex Mavroidakis & team cracking under pressure ?

The show could get sponsors that could run the feeds... Get a good communications company like 3 was in the day.... So much good space for promoting brands, a little innovation and those problems can easily be sorted.
Yes!!! True live feeds aren't coming back in this nanny state country but what we had last year people finally accepted and even embraced. The LF update threads were by far the most popular on here last season. I'd be willing to watch an ad for however long each time I clicked on one if that meant we were at least getting the footage. Hell even Appliances Online could've done it this year. The footage is already there. All it takes is Mumbai receiving the clip and coming up with a sentence or two to frame it and then sending out the tweet. They're paying people to record all that stuff anyway so it seems like such a waste - even from a network standpoint - that it just ends up in the rubbish.

I must see it through, @Deja! I must complete my mission! ;)

To me, the show lost viewers by starting out with too many twists that completely changed the expectations of what viewers expected: the pairs would have been ok, if they hadn't included the change in voting to allow the housemates to eliminate one person. Let them nominate in pairs, but have individuals be up. Adding in the huge change with the money twist also massively turned people off.

This is my fundamental problem with the show. They began day one with a show that was completely different from last year, and took away a lot of the charming and fun stuff, as well as strategy stuff- like a chance to say yourself from nomination by winning a game.

People tuned initially because last year was so good, by throwing out every single aspect of a fantastic show, they turned off many people.

After they realized how badly the twists failed, they threw in Tim and it all went downhill.

No live info makes it worse because we know we are only seeing a highly controlled image.

On top of that, the cast is extremely vanilla and seem to look down on people who are playing to the cameras. They have zero sense of needing to be entertaining. Aisha said she wanted to provoke that you didn't have to be a loud character. Did she ever consider that being a quiet person is fine, but you still need to bring some entertainment value?
I like a lot of what you say, but I think that people can play up to the cameras without having to constantly preen, dance, sing, hold fake conversations with dogs in their arms, etc. Are there no real people who are capable of doing this? I think so. I had high hopes for Aisha and Cat, but they turned out to have little substance.

Last edited:
The show could get sponsors that could run the feeds... Get a good communications company like 3 was in the day.... So much good space for promoting brands, a little innovation and those problems can easily be sorted.

Yes they could but it's a matter of WHO? Iinet given the "cheek" element in their advertising perhaps..even if it were to be completely web based, Iselect or such company as it seems insurance co's are spending a tonne of $$ on advertising ANYWHERE at the moment.

I think that was probably their biggest mistake this year, not just one of. People were pretty tolerant last year of the twists and stunts - although of course they still cracked the shits and declared BB would NEVER return in 2014 - but because we had the LF threads to get us through, we were still engaged with the house and the HMs so people would quickly move on from whatever outrage they felt because within an hour something new would appear to refocus everyone.

Now though they're treating BB like any other 9 tv show and we all know it doesn't work like that. You're supposed to become obsessed with the HMs and want to know what they're doing in the house at all times and see what you can figure out even if it's from 90 second clips and badly worded snippets from Mumbai from 8am to 11pm. Until right now, it hasn't even crossed my mind about what's going on in the house today/tonight.

WHEN BB returns next year on 9, I'm hoping that Alex can do what he can to prove that that little bit of extra money on having someone run the Twitter account with live feed updates is well worth whatever it may cost (and I suspect it's minimal). They don't need a BB dedicated site... just move those clips onto Jump-In. It's just one extra Tweet for whomever's spamming the FB account with the same shit every couple of hours. People on there are even calling them out for posting the same stuff over and over and they're usually the last to catch on so you know it's bad.
Mumbai! I miss the Mumbai translations of yesteryear.

I like a lot of what you say, but I think that people can play up to the cameras without having to constantly preen, dance, sing, hold fake conversations with dogs in their arms, etc. Are there no real people who are capable of doing this? I think so. I had high hopes for Aisha and Cat, but they turned out to have little substance.

Cat had more substance than Aisha.

Mumbai! I miss the Mumbai translations of yesteryear.
Oh wow, me too! And how much did we take the piss out of them last year? The Kookaburra shots alone and now whenever we see one the DS thread erupts for like two pages. I'm smiling so hard right now just thinking about some of the laughs the quotes alone gave us. Like when they'd try to be snarky but they got the names wrong LOL

Oh Mumbai, why have you forsaken us?

Channel 9 wrecked the series by not putting it at a consistence time slot.

They are to blame for the less popularity of this years BB.

Alex and his team can only do so much. everything he does Channel 9 dictates. He can only do what channel 9 tells and approves him to do.

I am sure if Alex had anything to do with it, it would have been a constant time slot from day 1. If he could have it a M rated show he would of, but channel 9 didn't allow it cause they want to replay it on Go during the day.

In regards to any Rumour, he can make comment on it. That's why I am sure he has a twitter account. He was trying to clear up a rumour that wasn't true.

If Alex is that unhappy with the situation then why didn't he leave after the first series? Channel 9 have been dictating the series from day 1 and the pressure has always been there to make the series sucessful... I mean BB hasn't been the runnaway hit that 9 were hoping for so while there is probably added pressure it can't be much worse than it has been up to now...

As for the time-slot... That's really only half the problem... BBUS is almost always shifted time-slots and had days flipped at least once per sereis and it doesn't seem to be plagued with massive dives in ratings... The fact is if the show was compelling enough the viewership will follow it and it's not as if the time-slots BB has been in aren't manageble for thier target audience... At the end of the day the quality of the show falls on Alex...

If Alex is that unhappy with the situation then why didn't he leave after the first series? Channel 9 have been dictating the series from day 1 and the pressure has always been there to make the series sucessful... I mean BB hasn't been the runnaway hit that 9 were hoping for so while there is probably added pressure it can't be much worse than it has been up to now...

As for the time-slot... That's really only half the problem... BBUS is almost always shifted time-slots and had days flipped at least once per sereis and it doesn't seem to be plagued with massive dives in ratings... The fact is if the show was compelling enough the viewership will follow it and it's not as if the time-slots BB has been in aren't manageble for thier target audience... At the end of the day the quality of the show falls on Alex...
I don't think much of what you're saying is fair at all. This is Alex's job. This isn't the US where there are 5 gazillion other options for him. He has a family to support and a career to maintain in a very small fishbowl.
Some of the burdens of responsibility that are being placed on this guy are so far-fetched and out of the realm of possibility... it's like come on now.

I don't think much of what you're saying is fair at all. This is Alex's job. This isn't the US where there are 5 gazillion other options for him. He has a family to support and a career to maintain in a very small fishbowl.
Some of the burdens of responsibility that are being placed on this guy are so far-fetched and out of the realm of possibility... it's like come on now.
Actually, he interned during seasons 3, 4, and 5 of the BBUS and they asked him to stay to be under Alison Grodner's assistance. Alex and Alison has a funny way of producing Big Brother.

With big brother editing less is more!!! They have completely annihilated what big brother should be. Despite having great casting. The girls of this season were the best ever- so many distinct female characters. Yet this season absolutely sucks. I don't want to hear Sonja on stage reiterating again and again and again about the latest twist.

They're making it too hard to stay a fan. Reduced air time, jumping around between time slots and channels, references by hms to things the audience has no clue about (eg who knew the hms have been sleeping girls in one room boys in the other...for weeks? Wtf is that about?), too much repetition of footage and that footage is highly edited and shown out of chronological order to make stories that aren't there and cover stories that are. I won't even go into the blatant bullshit in the ads.

So if you actually can catch what seems to be a rare episode compared to past years, you have to put up with the editing that makes you wonder if the production team really think the viewers are stupid enough to fall for footage manipulation, footage that is regularly 3 or 4 days old. It's too hard to keep any enthusiasm up when you don't know what the hell is going on. I've tried, but I'm sick of it. I'm watching this year out more habit than enjoyment and I'm sure as hell not voting. It's not enthralling like it used to be, it'd dull, it's ruined and it's obvious whoever is responsible doesn't give a fck. They can't really complain when the fans walk away because they don't five a fck either. Here's a newsflash Alex and channel 9 - the fans don't owe you. They're leaving because they're getting served up shit and you're not listening too them.

Actually, he interned during seasons 3, 4, and 5 of the BBUS and they asked him to stay to be under Alison Grodner's assistance. Alex and Alison has a funny way of producing Big Brother.
I hadn't heard that before - and it's kinda surprising since he has been quite openly anti-BBUSA... Bit of a dick move on his part there then.

I've always thought that Endemol sounded like a pain killing medication.
Thank you for adding to the conversation.

I think the producers can only be blamed for the goings on in the house. To me it's just plain boring, because every day is filled with a suprise or an event. I would prefer one long opening night twist over several little ones over a few days. If they have to do a stunt every day, BB should set mini tasks, like HM's dress up in an awkward costume for the day, they all sit around, do a shopping task, then have a party on friday night. There are so many other ways to get the HM's to be entertaining.

As for the amount of shows per week and timeslots, Channel 9 is definately to blame for that, but when you think about it, all commercial free to air channels are struggling these days. It may not necessarily be better on Ten. I've seen people say it should be on SBS, which would make it a lot better handled, I somehow doubt they'd be able to take it on, due to cost etc.

They're making it too hard to stay a fan. Reduced air time, jumping around between time slots and channels, references by hms to things the audience has no clue about (eg who knew the hms have been sleeping girls in one room boys in the other...for weeks? Wtf is that about?), too much repetition of footage and that footage is highly edited and shown out of chronological order to make stories that aren't there and cover stories that are. I won't even go into the blatant bullshit in the ads.

So if you actually can catch what seems to be a rare episode compared to past years, you have to put up with the editing that makes you wonder if the production team really think the viewers are stupid enough to fall for footage manipulation, footage that is regularly 3 or 4 days old. It's too hard to keep any enthusiasm up when you don't know what the hell is going on. I've tried, but I'm sick of it. I'm watching this year out more habit than enjoyment and I'm sure as hell not voting. It's not enthralling like it used to be, it'd dull, it's ruined and it's obvious whoever is responsible doesn't give a fck. They can't really complain when the fans walk away because they don't five a fck either. Here's a newsflash Alex and channel 9 - the fans don't owe you. They're leaving because they're getting served up shit and you're not listening too them.
Amen! In my book, if you are evicted we should not see full episodes where you feature prominently. However, this season the editing is just all over the place. I don't think the time slot is the problem as I watch in the US. Last year the show was great, how or why did they get it wrong so badly?

Back