Skip to main content

Gretel..

If you haven't see her in action here, I urge you to check her out. She is by no means a woman who we want 'off' our screens. More please!

The mirror tunnel fall was during the first ever Eviction - it was revealed on-air years later that she actually nearly severed off the tip of her pinky finger (it was only just still attached) on the broken glass stuck to the walls and she did the entire show with the hand to the side, outside of the camera's view and once the show was over she went to the ER.

There is a video on YouTube somewhere...

gretel is so hardcore :)
i love her

That's apple for you. Locking down something as basic as language selection.
Yeah I realised I left myself open to this one.

I have got my iPad set to Australian English language.

I'm using Chrome all ... So maybe it's Google's fault :p

Gretel would do a way better job than Sonia although I've somehwat warmed to Sonia (I used to hate her). Gretel would never come back, she's moved on.

Last year I found Gretel's personal Facebook page and I sent her a message and we had one of the nicest conversations, it felt like I was talking to a mother who had helped bring me up haha.
But I think she's very happy at the moment and certainly wouldn't want to come back to the trainwreck of a show we have now.
I did the same, found her FB back in 2010 and messaged her lol <3

@Talk That Talk I think a chunk of the hosting awkwardness ever so present since Channel 9 took on BB could be removed if Sonia had a 'side kick' like Chrissie Swann interacting during certain parts of the show (like interviewing evicted housemates during the golf buggy ride from house to stage). And I don't mean a cohost (BB08 style) either.

I did the same, found her FB back in 2010 and messaged her lol <3

Marquisite tagged you @Talk That Talk ;)

@Talk That Talk I think a chunk of the hosting awkwardness ever so present since Channel 9 took on BB could be removed if Sonia had a 'side kick' like Chrissie Swann interacting during certain parts of the show (like interviewing evicted housemates during the golf buggy ride from house to stage). And I don't mean a cohost (BB08 style) either.

I take that back. This thread gave me some inspiration today to watch a lot of Gretel's recent stuff and I only just realised just how much she's still doing. I actually had no idea that she alternates between Channels 7, 9 and 10.

Also, @Dann I found this you might be interested in:

http://www.yourtv.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=1033844&showcomments=true

"Eleven years ago, yes that long ago, I hosted the first series of Big Brother on Australian TV. Tonight, a new series of BB begins on a different network with a different host in a different decade. I'm often asked how I think it will fare. I choose to guess it will be a great success because BB is a strong format and Sonia Kruger will be a terrific host. I choose to be positive because I'm tired of Australians unhealthily wishing failure on one another in vacuous displays of schadenfreude, a possible ironic consequence of 11 years of reality TV colliding with a nation suffering low self-esteem."

P.S. An unhealthy obsession with Gretel is NOT a bad thing! Also guilty. ;)
@the Theorist thats an awesome article — watching that YouTube video just now that's still awesome. She still knows how to control the situation! :)
Ah, the rubber chicken...
What rubber chicken? Roffle.
I agree, I did read somewhere that she might have a co-host. I think as she's pregnant, they should have brought one in just incase she can't happen to be upto doing a show.

They had all the evicted HM's on-stage at the finale and one had a rubber chicken, and they decided to throw it into the crowd - however their aim wasn't great and it hit Gretel in the head and then bounced into crowd.

Last edited:
@ 2 hours, 16mins, 43 secs

Poor Gretel had it by the end of that episode. It was culmination of so many things going wrong at that Finale, all due to the fact that they revealed who was in the lead in the voting at the start of the episode. It resulted in a voting system meltdown which caused a domino effect, thus creating the most drawn out, unpredictable, mess of a Finale ever. :sorry:

If you haven't see her in action here, I urge you to check her out. She is by no means a woman who we want 'off' our screens. More please!

God I miss her, she is great[DOUBLEPOST=1410691012][/DOUBLEPOST]
Gretel SERVING logic and reason.

That SHREW with the short brown hair is fucking annoying.
She reminded me of Kris Jenner

They had all the evicted HM's on-stage at the finale and one had a rubber chicken, and they decided to throw it into the crowd - however their aim wasn't great and it hit Gretel in the head and then bounced into crowd.

I remember she was very obviously at the end of her tether at that point. Poor Gretel :(

I remember she was very obviously at the end of her tether at that point. Poor Gretel :(
Well yeah... She had to pull about 40-45 minutes (incl. commercials) of TV out of thin air while they counted the votes because of their stupidity earlier in the night.

And what was her reward for what she managed to do that night? Oh yeah, unemployment. :(

I personally think Sonya is far and away a better bb host than Gretel. More balanced.

Gretel was always putting down male HMs with man jokes, but female HMs it was "you were great to watch in the house" ...please

People like her just because she was the first host and did it for a number of years, but she was a woefull BB host as the years went on, then again Kyle and Jackie were worse
Let's not be pc and call a spade a spade, Stefan. Gretel was an unapologetic misandrist, plain and simple. I can't stand pompous arrogant tossers whether male (i.e. karl stefanovic) or female and Gretel undoubtedly had humongous tickets on herself. Too often she gave the impression that she thought the show was about her rather than the actual hms. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

Last edited:
Back