Skip to main content

Gretel..

Danny

Equipment Inspector
Awesome site donor
I was wondering — I never quite understood. Why didn't channel 9 Bring on Gretel Killeen and why did she get scratched? I never fully understood this.

For me, Gretel is Big Brother Australia. She was, and to an extent still is, the face of the show in this country.

However, as much I absolutely adore Gretel in so many ways, there's a number of reasons why she just wouldn't be right for the show anymore. First of all, she has moved on, plain and simple. But in addition to that, the host of a live show needs somebody who is current and also in-touch with today's viewers. Unfortunately Gretel doesn't fill that quota anymore and, apart from her stints on Mornings (does she still do that?) she has pretty much dropped off the radar nowadays.

To quote myself from a recent post I made in another thread, the problem with Gretel and her current relationship with Big Brother (if her recent interview in 2012 on ABC's One Plus One show was anything to go by) she seems to now hold some sort of disaffection towards it and the time she spent hosting it. I know she certainly loved it for several years during its prime (and she was bloody fan-effing-tastic at her job, probably the best live TV host this country has ever had in my opinion) and she dealt with hell of a lot during her time on BB (more than most other hosts ever would, or even could) but she definitely lost touch with the show towards the end.

And in all honesty, I don't blame her for the distaste, considering the way she was (in my view) unceremoniously dismissed in between seasons. Regardless of whether it was a mutual decision or not, personally I will never be content with the fact that she never received the on-air send-off/farewell that she absolutely deserved - and that phone call interview at the BB08 Finale doesn't count as a send-off either.

But yeah, unfortunately Gretel wouldn't suit the show today, nor any show to be completely honest. I'm sure she's quite happy living away from the spotlight too after being a very prominent figure on our screens for a long time. Best wishes to her, I say.

Last edited:
And to answer @Dann's question as to why she got "scratched", it was reported that it was to freshen up the show. 2008 saw the show be completely revamped in an attempt to save it from dying ratings - no thanks to the mass carnage of BB by the media from 2006 onward.

At the time, Gretel was quoted as saying: "Working on Big Brother has been an extraordinary, challenging and rewarding experience. I'm really proud of what we've achieved but I now have the seven-year itch and am busting to get on with a million new things, including my first feature film, which we're shooting in the new year."

But contrary to the way she makes it sound, all the articles about it kinda made it seem like she was "dumped" by the producers for the reasons I stated above. See this article: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/kyle-answers-big-brothers-call/story-e6frfmyi-1111114738781

Sooooo yeah. Each to their own.

Gretel wouldn't come back, she was on Mornings a few weeks ago when I caught it and someone mentioned her hosting big brother, and in that calm acid tongue way she has, she put him in his place, seemed pretty happy to have distanced herself from the show

If gretel would had come back.. big brother show would had return back to its original style. Channel 9 are like clumps. And also the rediculoursly promo where they show australia map and rushing straight down to NSW big brother house ? if you slow motion the promo it clearly shows NSW but not goldcoast where the big brother house is bloody located. I think channel 9 has no idea on what they are on about with all the chunk of graphics on tv in the year 2014.

as you see the promo of the map of australia then you see it rushing straight down to nsw near some island. Seriously that just dont get it. BB house is in the middle of the bushland at the gold coast next to the pacific highway.

GIF-eye-clock-Mariah-Carey-skeptical-thinking-unsure-GIF.gif

She is the best! It's would be awesome if she had to fill in for Sonia for some shows as Sonia is preggers[DOUBLEPOST=1410654645][/DOUBLEPOST]She is the best! It's would be awesome if she had to fill in for Sonia for some shows as Sonia is preggers

Yeah I loved Gretel, I'm watching the '05 series right now and she just seems to be able to take everything and manipulate it so it doesn't effect the way of the show, she even has a way with the audience.

She's definitely one of the first things you think of when you think of BB. I just never quite understood, I do now. I remotely remember something about "freshening" up the show — was there any ever talk when BB got picked up by channel 9 of her returning?

@John I know I think it's the location they wanted but they could have CGIed it to come up from QLD.

I personally think Sonya is far and away a better bb host than Gretel. More balanced.

Gretel was always putting down male HMs with man jokes, but female HMs it was "you were great to watch in the house" ...please

People like her just because she was the first host and did it for a number of years, but she was a woefull BB host as the years went on, then again Kyle and Jackie were worse

Gretel wouldn't come back, she was on Mornings a few weeks ago when I caught it and someone mentioned her hosting big brother, and in that calm acid tongue way she has, she put him in his place, seemed pretty happy to have distanced herself from the show

Aww but when Sonia has her [healthy!] baby early, who is going to host for us?!?!?

I was thinking about this earlier today and how good it would be to see Gretel take the reigns for a night or two. Mikey G is good too.

They'll probably send in Shelley Craft... Her puns are worse than Sonia's. But she's beautiful, so I forgive her.. kind of...

Reactions: Tee
I personally think Sonya is far and away a better bb host than Gretel. More balanced.

Gretel was always putting down male HMs with man jokes, but female HMs it was "you were great to watch in the house" ...please

People like her just because she was the first host and did it for a number of years, but she was a woefull BB host as the years went on, then again Kyle and Jackie were worse
'balanced' is boring and dishonest. i thought it was great that gretel was willing to give housemates the business at their exit.

Last year I found Gretel's personal Facebook page and I sent her a message and we had one of the nicest conversations, it felt like I was talking to a mother who had helped bring me up haha.
But I think she's very happy at the moment and certainly wouldn't want to come back to the trainwreck of a show we have now.

Last year I found Gretel's personal Facebook page and I sent her a message and we had one of the nicest conversations, it felt like I was talking to a mother who had helped bring me up haha.
But I think she's very happy at the moment and certainly wouldn't want to come back to the trainwreck of a show we have now.
I'm not surprised.
I feel like the heat she got was completely unwarranted and at times because she was a strong feminist.
People don't like strong feministic women, even in this day and age.

Back