Skip to main content

Ask Alex 2014 (EP of Big Brother)

FROM ARTICLE said:
Is there a housemate this year who you were all but certain you were going to choose within minutes of talking to them on the 1st audition day? In other words was there a standout at the auditions this year who you just knew you were going to select? (insider06)

Yes, there were a few actually. One of them we saw in 2013 – she was a standout then too but fell away at the last minute because she didn’t suit the mix. When we saw her again this time it was a done deal within 5 minutes.

This has to be Gemma right?

John - When will channel 9 miserably will they STOP promoting so much rubish promos with big titles big brother graphics over with sound effects ? why not a better simple fact promo focus more on the big brother show. Not just random a cliff a guy in his skeleton suit and a vickin bloody ship. Is this what really big brother is? i yet to see if the house is actually a ship. Otherwise your going to explain to me exactly what is all that about. Sorry but i with the promos this year has been a dreadful one.
Alex - Huh?

Bahahahahahaha! Pretty much everyone's response to @John

Um ok, so I am thrilled that Nominations will be incorporated into the Daily Show - so so happy about that!

Me too, the live/separate nominations show was such a waste of time. Hopefully this means the end of the chamber and a return to their rightful place in the diary room.

And the Q&A was good, he seemed to give realistic answers. Although the proof of the pudding shall be in the in the eating when it comes to my question, but I'm glad he gave it quite a considered response.

Um ok, so I am thrilled that Nominations will be incorporated into the Daily Show - so so happy about that!

And I think Alex misunderstood @Inigo Montoya's question. You were referring to the BB Shop they had inside the BB05 house, right?

Yep that's exactly what I meant, I should of been more specific.

I'm really curious about the food truck that's been mentioned in the media day articles.

R.I.P @Kingston

tumblr_naufv6qNM41qgf1i8o1_400.gif

i've only seen BB power trip outside of the aussie BB world, so i've seen an example of nominations filmed in the daily show only once. personally i have mixed feelings about it. when i was watching power trip it seemed like the gravity and seriousness of the nominations themselves weren't translating well. but the twists and on-going fights overshadowed it constantly. it removed the feeling of nominations being an event. maybe it won't make it as boring to watch this year, so that's a plus. i understand that interest can dip during the show when it's just one housemate after another. but one thing i LOVED was how well BBAU grills their housemates for true answers and intentions in nominations. i really, really want that tension to stay.

crossing my fingers for a good season. the Q and A was reassuring nonetheless.

Last year's nominations shows were already edited and could have been fitted into a daily show. The only thing 'live' about them was the audience.

I feel that even the way they were done last year already made them a 'non-event', and slotting them into a daily show makes no difference (when compared to last year's non-live nominations). Unless they're going to spread the nominations across an entire show, interlinked with OTHER important events, there doesn't seem much point in watching. The genuine live aspect whilst being slower paced was always a drawcard for me.

"I hate cats"
I knew I liked Alex for a reason when I first met him this year.

Shame I didn't make it - ended up matching a girl from the BB housemate hunt on Tinder and have been seeing each since!

At least if I was on the romance would have been real and not creepy (read: Steven from UK)

I know they tell us not to reveal anything online before the show but the potential housemates I interacted with were just amazing people.

So many are just side splitting funny, stunning and intriguing characters.

Alex and Chris must have the toughest job and from the thousands they just pick a handful.

To be honest every person in the late stages of the hunt would have made an excellent housemate.

(I'm still bitter I didn't get picked) but cut the guys some slack, as I think the success of this year will be evident soon.

Can you imagine Gemma & Tim in the same house? no wonder he didnt put her in last year, would have made Tim look like an arsehole paying out on her even though she says shes been bullied her whole life. well played Alex

LMAO Alex has a good sense of humour! Wish I had the chance to chat with him at auditions.

Interesting read. Just realised I came across sounding really pissy in my questions. Glad to hear we'll be getting more mature content, and that the Power Trip will be tweaked.

My only gripe with it is that Alex goes on about society these days being really well connected and that "We have a reason for international viewers to watch us this year", then goes on to say "only 300 people would have seen BBUK". If you check facebook, even the most casual of fans are speculating that this year will be like the Power Trip...

Alex Mavroidakis said:
Will we be receiving more “mature content” this year? (Beardymac)
Yes, but we are still PG because we replay on GO at 6pm and we don’t want to lose our young viewers or the show won’t be back.

The later slot is a great opportunity to pull the big Block audience through to Big Brother and to keep them there, and to appeal to an 8:30 audience we will need more grown up content.

How can you have more "mature content" at 8.40pm if it's still rated PG and worried that kids will be watching the next day? And going by the TV guides (www.yourtv.com.au) the GO! replays will actually air at 2.00pm the next day. Kids should be in school then except when it's school holidays. You can actually air M rated programs from 12pm-3pm during the school term. But I don't expect Big Brother to be rated M every night. I think all we wanted was a once a week show of mature content. That would have kept everybody happy and the replay situation can have GO! repeating it the same night or maybe another night (Late Sat?).

Alex didn't really answer many questions this time but the little insight we got was good. Thanks Alex :). @Ingio Montoya had a lot of good questions. It is a shame that some of them were not answered.

Alex Mavroidakis said:
Whose your favourite BBBA forum member?
The ones that don’t say mean things about me. So not many to chose from!

I don't say anything mean about you Alex. I like you :) And I believe you are a BB purist too! Can I be your favourite member? :happy:

Me too, the live/separate nominations show was such a waste of time. Hopefully this means the end of the chamber and a return to their rightful place in the diary room.
I miss the days where Nominations was used for more than just Nominations - chats with the evictees, friends/family and/or Carmel, as well as small behind-the-scenes segments etc. It was all stuff that could've been done pre-recorded and not live, but was stuff that couldn't be slotted into the Daily Show format of 2001/2008/2014. But since Nine have no interest in this content, makes sense to cull that entire show.

Wish I'd asked if Alex was going to cull the 'rainbow credits' of 2013 and stick to the specific coloured show titles - Blue for Daily, Red for Evictions etc - that really bugged me for some reason last year...

Back