Skip to main content

2014 FIFA World Cup

You know what gets to me about Soccer? Some guy gets bitten by another guy and he does jack shit but run to the referee like a kid with a skinned knee. The guy who bit him flops like a total fairy, even though he did the biting. Is there any toughness in this sport? Or is there just flopping and crying and whining? Disgraceful all around.

That's akin to claiming that every aussie is racist because of the dumb bogans who mouthed off at a French tourist on a bus a couple of years ago.

You don't have to like soccer, nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to watch it. But generalising about a sport that you clearly have some issues with does not do you any favours.

In my experience it is thugby or footy (as in AFL) types who are insecure about their sports standing in the world who spout ignorant nonsense like that is, they are insignificant in comparison to a true international game like soccer.

That is evidenced by the fact that you never ever hear thugby fans ridiculing hockey, netball, water polo, etc.. because they are no where near as relevant and popular as soccer and therefore in their narrow minds don't pose any 'threat' to their favourite sport.

You know what gets to me about Soccer? Some guy gets bitten by another guy and he does jack shit but run to the referee like a kid with a skinned knee. The guy who bit him flops like a total fairy, even though he did the biting. Is there any toughness in this sport? Or is there just flopping and crying and whining? Disgraceful all around.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't really understand what else you would want Chiellini to do? Suárez bit him so of course he went to the ref to get him fouled as you can't go around biting players willy nilly. Do you expect him to go start a fight or something and get sent off as well? I hardly think starting shit makes you 'tough' if anything that sort of a reaction would be disgraceful, they're there to play football after all.

As for 'flopping, crying and whining', sure at times the game can have its theatrics but for someone who must watch WWE I find it amusing to say the least that that bothers you considering wrestling is 100% theatrics and predetermined outcomes, at least football relies on skill to determine the winner in the end.

SEC is right about one thing though, the Italians are unashamed actresses and deserved to go. Almost all teams 'simulate' injury to gain an advantage, it has nothing to do with being soft but being unsportsmanlike cheating arse holes. Any idiot can tell they're not seriously hurt so I'm always amused by those who insist it has anything to do with being 'soft' to push their jealous inferiority complex agenda. The italians take it to another level though, so no sympathy from me.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't really understand what else you would want Chiellini to do? Suárez bit him so of course he went to the ref to get him fouled as you can't go around biting players willy nilly. Do you expect him to go start a fight or something and get sent off as well? I hardly think starting shit makes you 'tough' if anything that sort of a reaction would be disgraceful, they're there to play football after all.

As for 'flopping, crying and whining', sure at times the game can have its theatrics but for someone who must watch WWE I find it amusing to say the least that that bothers you considering wrestling is 100% theatrics and predetermined outcomes, at least football relies on skill to determine the winner in the end.

I get why he did it that way because the ref's always punish the retaliatory player. But I would have no problem if that guy sent his teeth straight down his throat. The biter "started shit", I have no problem with the other guy finishing it. How would it be disgraceful?

That comparison makes no sense. WWE is entertainment just like any other scripted television program. Its like a combination of the theatre and the circus. You suspend your disbelief when you watch it the same way you suspend your disbelief when you go to the movies. Soccer is a sport, a genuine contest. Its pathetic to see them flop when no one has even touched them. They have amazing skills but I also want to see some genuine toughness. Flopping, to me, has no place in a sport whether it be soccer, basketball or anything.

That's akin to claiming that every aussie is racist because of the dumb bogans who mouthed off at a French tourist on a bus a couple of years ago.

You don't have to like soccer, nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to watch it. But generalising about a sport that you clearly have some issues with does not do you any favours.

In my experience it is thugby or footy (as in AFL) types who are insecure about their sports standing in the world who spout ignorant nonsense like that is, they are insignificant in comparison to a true international game like soccer.

That is evidenced by the fact that you never ever hear thugby fans ridiculing hockey, netball, water polo, etc.. because they are no where near as relevant and popular as soccer and therefore in their narrow minds don't pose any 'threat' to their favourite sport.

I don't really have an issue with the sport, just that it is pathetic to watch players flop when no one one has even touched them. You are out there to play a game, so go play it. Stop crying and pleading with the umpires to help you out. I feel the same way when they do it in basketball, which is the third most popular sport in the world.

I hear rugby and AFL fans ridicule netball all the time. Generally it centers around the lack of contact. I have heard a lot of coaches in say stuff like "if you want to avoid contact go play netball" or something like that.

SEC is right about one thing though, the Italians are unashamed actresses and deserved to go. Almost all teams 'simulate' injury to gain an advantage, it has nothing to do with being soft but being unsportsmanlike cheating arse holes. Any idiot can tell they're not seriously hurt so I'm always amused by those who insist it has anything to do with being 'soft' to push their jealous inferiority complex agenda. The italians take it to another level though, so no sympathy from me.

Its SES ;)

The generalization was probably unnecessary, it was mostly out of frustration at seeing them ACTING (whether they are or not is probably case by case) so soft so often. Its just pathetic, not only that they do it but that the sport has not found a way to stop it. But I do find it interesting that you followed up calling me on generalizations by also generalizing people who see soccer players a soft as having a "jealous inferiority complex agenda".

Whether it is soft or not, it is most definitely pathetic in any sport (basketball, AFL, whatever).

I get why he did it that way because the ref's always punish the retaliatory player. But I would have no problem if that guy sent his teeth straight down his throat. The biter "started shit", I have no problem with the other guy finishing it. How would it be disgraceful?

Obviously our views on this aren't going to align. I don't really care who started it there's no reason to finish it in the same way.

That comparison makes no sense. WWE is entertainment just like any other scripted television program. Its like a combination of the theatre and the circus. You suspend your disbelief when you watch it the same way you suspend your disbelief when you go to the movies. Soccer is a sport, a genuine contest. Its pathetic to see them flop when no one has even touched them. They have amazing skills but I also want to see some genuine toughness. Flopping, to me, has no place in a sport whether it be soccer, basketball or anything.

Very few football fans enjoy or condone simulation it's an annoying fact of the game which is being more actively discouraged. IMO it has a lot to do with the fact there's no video replay in football so the ref has to see it to rule on it which leads to players over playing it to get the refs attention.

Obviously our views on this aren't going to align. I don't really care who started it there's no reason to finish it in the same way.

Very few football fans enjoy or condone simulation it's an annoying fact of the game which is being more actively discouraged. IMO it has a lot to do with the fact there's no video replay in football so the ref has to see it to rule on it which leads to players over playing it to get the refs attention.

Nothing wrong with differing opinions. You're turn the other cheek and I am eye for an eye. Or if you get yourself into it deal with what comes? You get the general idea.

Its something I hate in all sports, not just soccer. The generalization was not needed, but I was really annoyed and I see it A LOT in soccer. It is an issue that all sports need to address. Soccer has definitely gotten the worst PR from it because it seems to happen so often.

Well that's been my personal experience SES. 99/100 of the individuals who make silly little jibes about soccer tend to be people who follow only 1 of the dominant team codes in a country (i.e. AFL, rugbies, gridiron, etc....). And the underlying common theme in all of them is a fear that a true world (it's the only sport that fits that description tbh) sport like soccer ( a sport they're entitled not to like, that's fine) could make inroads in their country.

I hate/loathe/despise many things in life but those things generally stay out of my mind, they don't linger in my sub-conscience UNLESS there's a genuine possibility that it could catch on and grow in popularity where I live, annoying me even further. :D

What makes your comment more perplexing is that you admit you don't even like sports. Why the hell are you watching it then? I loathe a lot of female oriented media and their gossipy shyte, nerd fodder like star wars/star trek rubbish etc.. and that is why I stay well away from it. I can understand soccer haters that follow other codes and fear that soccer could rise in popularity and become a genuine threat to their own favourite sport but people like you who aren't even into sports? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Why do you even care? O_O

Well that's been my personal experience SES. 99/100 of the individuals who make silly little jibes about soccer tend to be people who follow only 1 of the dominant team codes in a country (i.e. AFL, rugbies, gridiron, etc....). And the underlying common theme in all of them is a fear that a true world (it's the only sport that fits that description tbh) sport like soccer ( a sport they're entitled not to like, that's fine) could make inroads in their country.

I hate/loathe/despise many things in life but those things generally stay out of my mind, they don't linger in my sub-conscience UNLESS there's a genuine possibility that it could catch on and grow in popularity where I live, annoying me even further. :D

What makes your comment more perplexing is that you admit you don't even like sports. Why the hell are you watching it then? I loathe a lot of female oriented media and their gossipy shyte, nerd fodder like star wars/star trek rubbish etc.. and that is why I stay well away from it. I can understand soccer haters that follow other codes and fear that soccer could rise in popularity and become a genuine threat to their own favourite sport but people like you who aren't even into sports? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Why do you even care? O_O

That's a fair assessment of one of the reasons that people are sometimes derogatory towards soccer. It is not just a competition on the field, it is a competition for the hearts and minds of the next generation of players. AFL and Rugby don't want to give up what they have. But there are other reasons than being threatened. I honestly don't think a lot of people are worried about soccer taking hold in SA, just like a lot of people are not worried about AFL taking hold in NSW. The inverse of your theory would be arrogance, that soccer does not have a chance, and that is more what I have seen. There's also indifference, but there are certainly people who are worried, I just don't think its as high as 99%

Where did you get the idea I don't like sports? I love sports and back in the day I was a bit of a soccer fan (mostly Man U or Michael Owen). Flopping is probably my number one problem with sports at the moment, and it just happens that soccer is the number one perpetrator of this. I hate it in basketball as well, but it is far rarer and generally we see the players stand up for themselves a bit more. When I saw old mate bite another player and then take a dive as if he were the victim it made me sick to my stomach. While I was that disgusted I think I explained myself poorly. Probably didn't need to say anything at all, I was just pissed off. I shouldn't have said soccer was the issue, just the fact that flopping is so deeply ingrained (based on what I have seen and my friends who are fans tell me).

Well the group stage is over, onto the knockout rounds! :D @HarleyQQ will be happy to know I've decided to go for Germany. ;)

The schedule c/o Google.

tumblr_n7szpg0bKC1seuriqo1_500.png

Why get behind European teams? Is it a whitey solidarity thing or something?

I'd much rather get behind Asian/Latin American/African teams because at least they don't hog half the places available to the world cup and don't have a sense entitlement to tournament. 8 teams from Europe should be enough instead we get between 14 to 16 teams from Europe every WC, f^ck off. *shm*

I'm liking Colombia from Latin America, they're playing amazing tantalizing football and hopefully go far. Costa Rica ain't too bad either, go Ticos! Mexico might also have a chance against the mighty Dutch, my favourite footballing nation from Europe so it won't be all bad if Mexico fail to get past them.

Well, European national teams tends to be very methodical and regimented leaving little room for creativity. I for one much prefer the flair and excitement that teams from Latin America and even Africa provide in the bucket loads. :)

Well, European national teams tends to be very methodical and regimented leaving little room for creativity. I for one much prefer the flair and excitement that teams from Latin America and even Africa provide in the bucket loads. :)

I guess it's a matter of opinion on what constitutes 'excitement'. For me personally an emotional connection to the team makes for a very exciting game.

missed the last few games, getting old and just cant wake up in time >.<
Anyone hear about this?
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8866384
Laser beam shines on Russian keeper
Algeria has progressed to the last 16 of the World Cup for the first time in their history with a 1-1 draw against Russia, but controversy surrounds Islam Slimani's equaliser, with Russian goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev appearing to have been distracted by a laser pen from the crowd.

Russia boss Fabio Capello said there was no doubt Akinfeev had been distracted by the laser beam.

"He was blinded by the laser beam. There are pictures and you can see that in the footage," said Capello.

"About the lasers it is not an excuse. The goalkeeper was unable to do his job. The laser beam was in his face."

Algeria boss Vahid Halilhodzic said he has not seen the laser beam incident, but is relishing the chance for the Desert Foxes to avenge their controversial exit from the 1982 World Cup when they face Germany in Porto Alegre on Monday.

Back then West Germany and Austria played out a mutually beneficial 1-0 win for the Germans to ensure Algeria were eliminated on goal difference.

"We have not forgotten about it. Everyone talks about Algeria and Germany from 1982," said Halilhodzic.

"Thirty-two years is a long time, but I am very proud of what we have achieved tonight and we deserve to be here.

"Algeria played a heroic match and our qualification for the second round is perfectly deserved."

Belgium topped the group with a maximum nine points from three games after they beat South Korea 1-0 in the other game.

Algeria had gotten off to the worst possible start as with Sofiane Feghouli off the field receiving treatment for a head injury, Russia used the extra space afforded to them down Algeria's right to open the scoring.

Left-back Dmitry Kombarov sauntered forward and his cross was expertly nodded into the top corner by Alexander Kokorin.

Oleg Shatov then came within inches of doubling Russia's advantage with a dipping shot from range that flew just past the post.

However, Algeria posed the greater threat towards the end of the half and Akinfeev went some way to redeeming himself for an awful error which cost his side a goal in their opening game against South Korea with a fine save from Slimani's first effort of the evening.

Russia came flying out of the traps in the second period, though, looking to kill the game off and should have done when a lovely one-two between Kokorin and Aleksandr Samedov put the latter clean through on goal, but Rais Mbolhi stood up well to block his effort.

And that save was to prove vital on the hour mark as Akinfeev flapped at Brahimi's free-kick and Slimani headed home into an unguarded net.

Mbolhi was forced into another fine save 21 minutes from time as Samedov played in Alexander Kerzhakov down the right and his low strike was held at the second attempt by the Algerian goalkeeper.

Russia continued to push for a winner, but when Aleksei Kozlov's header sailed wide in stoppage time their last chance was gone.

Back