Skip to main content

2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow

I am not intending to watch, but I am sure I will watch anyway. I'm over our swimmers, but I always love the cycling, athletics and triathlon. I guess because it is at Glasgow, it will be on at stupid hours for me anyway.

During the 2012 Olympics our swimmers acted so entitled and really rubbed me the wrong way when they did not do as well as they thought they were going to do.

During the 2012 Olympics our swimmers acted so entitled and really rubbed me the wrong way when they did not do as well as they thought they were going to do.

I'm not going to lie - I wanted to slap sense into most of the swimming team. I'd love to see some new talent come out of the pack in various sports that we can see potential in for the next Olympics. We seem to be in a transition period with many of our sports (eg. Cricket, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis) that it seems a great opportunity for others to shine

I'm not going to lie - I wanted to slap sense into most of the swimming team. I'd love to see some new talent come out of the pack that we can see potential in for the next Olympics
Who was the girl who thought she was a shoe in for the gold in the 100m backstroke and then lost too the American? Well whoever she was she got way too cocky and the American chic who ended up winning was really humble.

Who was the girl who thought she was a shoe in for the gold in the 100m backstroke and then lost too the American? Well whoever she was she got way too cocky and the American chic who ended up winning was really humble.

I had to double check, but it was Emily Seebohm. She also whined on about how her parents wouldn't be proud of her after coming second, and I think 99% of Australia felt awful for her parents.

I would have liked to see the basketball, even though the best players usually don't play. I did not know they had cut it after one year and now they have decided to bring it back in 2018. Weird and a shame because Australia are the best basketball nation in the commonwealth. Given the talent that is coming through in the men's game I think they may have a shot at the Olympics in about 6-10 years, but the women need Lauren Jackson more than they know.

I would have liked to see the basketball, even though the best players usually don't play. I did not know they had cut it after one year and now they have decided to bring it back in 2018. Weird and a shame because Australia are the best basketball nation in the commonwealth. Given the talent that is coming through in the men's game I think they may have a shot at the Olympics in about 6-10 years, but the women need Lauren Jackson more than they know.
I was very disappointed to see there was no basketball. I remember watching the female basketball during the 2012 Olympics and the AUS vs USA game to see who made it into the final to play for the gold was such an amazing game. We played great at the start, but sadly could not bring it together to win the game.

I was very disappointed to see there was no basketball. I remember watching the female basketball during the 2012 Olympics and the AUS vs USA game to see who made it into the final to play for the gold was such an amazing game. We played great at the start, but sadly could not bring it together to win the game.

It was a great game, but its so tough to see them come so close every single time. They managed to win the world championships in 06 but they can't win the Olympics even with the best player in the world. Once Lauren Jackson goes, Australia wont get that close to the US again for a while.

Commonwealth games were not that great for women's basketball, though. Australia won the gold medal match by 38 points during the last commonwealth games. They are just too good for the rest of the commonwealth, it'd be a beat-down.

Thor Maker, Patty Mills, Dante Exum etc... I kid you not Australia could become world champs in 5 years or so. :cool:

Thor Maker, Patty Mills, Dante Exum etc... I kid you not Australia could become world champs in 5 years or so. :cool:

That's the hope, but if being a fan has taught me anything its to not count my chickens. Patty Mills looks proven but we have seen a lot of draft busts over the years. But if things go right with those guys and Ben Simmons, they will have the firepower to compete with anyone.

Only 22 days to go.
Obviously this thread is going off with excitement, so I thought I would give the people what they want.... Our very beautiful weird looking uniforms.

097463-7b022e5a-eb9c-11e3-873b-5e8c286cce93.jpg

australian_commonwealth_games_uniform3_aap.jpg

The emblem looks way to big on that jumper.

305458-ec18a2ca-ebbc-11e3-bb45-046f3d36ad52.jpg

I'm not a fan of that skirt, the cut up the front would annoy me.

550-aussie-commonwealth-games-uniforms_63zwd8k3152211qcmn5t0uvtl.jpg

I actually like this jumper and pants combo. Well more than the other options.

997826-d837c70e-ec43-11e3-9fa0-1bddff48c580.jpg

HAHA Check out this guy trying to make that jacket look good.

Only 22 days to go.
Obviously this thread is going off with excitement, so I thought I would give the people what they want.... Our very beautiful weird looking uniforms.

What is going on with the ladies skirt??? It's nice to see the Commonwealth Games Committee put some Grannies to use to knit the scarves and jumpers :thumbsup:

Only 22 days to go.

If ever there was a time to break out some Picard, now is it.
picard-facepalm2.jpg

Actually saw an Aussie win something today at Wimbledon. Seems ages since that last happened!

No where near long as a Scotman (pretending to be British out of commercial convenience) winning Wimbledon and the last time a pommy won it in the 1920s or somethin'. ;)

Fred Perry 1936 was the last one from England. Last doubles win was the same year before Jonathan Murray won in 2012 with with a player from Denmark.

Back