Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

I swear I've never heard them called snagga/ers; snag/s sure but never snagga. Perhaps it's a west coast thing??

Totally missing out if they don't.

To me a snagga is a portmanteau of snag and sanger/sanga. Sausage in bread = sausage sandwich = YUMMY.

I love election day sausage sizzles. Sometimes on the weekends my Housemates and I drive to bunnings specially for a sausage.

To me, they sound nasty.

Then again a lot of foreigners find vegemite nasty lol

I sooo want to taste that!! It looks gross, but I want to taste it anyway!!

To me a snagga is a portmanteau of snag and sanger/sanga. Sausage in bread = sausage sandwich = YUMMY.

I love election day sausage sizzles. Sometimes on the weekends my Housemates and I drive to bunnings specially for a sausage.

Sanger means blood in my language.. and there's a particular way some people eat fried blood, so your post just grossed me out! LOL

What I find unusual - in the US you vote on Tuesdays? and it is not compulsory?
We vote for State and Federal Governments on Saturdays and it is compulsory.

Our tax year runs from July 1st to June 30th the following year. You have this at a different time too?

What happens if you don't vote?? Do you get a fine??

Yeah - the sliced meat you buy at the deli counter in the supermarket. (Cheapest cut of sliced meat - served with sauce on a sandwich)

edit: I think there is another name for it in Sydney (looked it up once when we were there but can't remember it)

Strasbourg?

Fish n chip shop - when I lived in Sydney it was called scallops. In Melb it potato cakes! Scallops is seafood not a potato battered thing

Another one: I've heard "fanny" being used in a few American movies etc. Apparently it means bum in America. It means vagina here.

So yanks, probably best not to go around telling Aussies you've been "shaking your fanny" or anything.

This is hilarious.... would be so easy to say the wrong thing with these 2 words!!
Also... some parts of our country also say thongs, as you do for those 'shoes'

We're sort of the exception in regards to compulsory voting, most countries don't. Personally I think it's great. As for the whole Tuesday voting I think it's a carry over from the ye olden days when they had to take the cart and buggy into to town to vote and Tuesday was the best day when considering travel time, tending the fields/harvest, and avoiding the Sabbath and rest days.

I do wonder though dear US friends if election day is a public holiday?

No. Not a public holiday. Though in New York City, schools are closed on election days because they are the local polling place.

We don't have any tradition of group food we make or parties like a major holiday.

But politically active people have parties to watch the results.

We put Jelly on toast too. My granny makes the best crab-apple jelly and blackcurrant and apple jelly. Jelly is strained so there is not fruit bits, just like the aeroplane jelly except the fruit pectin sets it, not gelatine so it's not quite as solid as aeroplane type jelly. It's pretty much always apple based too otherwise you don't get enough pectin to set it.

The difference is when I was in the USA I found what we would call jam they still also called jelly. And then you have fruit preserves....

So what do you call jam? I was going to mention preserves - those are the ones with fruit bits in them.

No the dough tins aren't available here. At least not anywhere in Melbourne I've looked (and I always look!!). I want to say the term for those houses in the US is council houses but I could be wrong. Reading this thread reminds me of how long I've been away from home because I have to keep stopping to think if a word is an Aussie one or a N. American one haha

in our area we say 'low income housing'
I am behind in reading so if I am answering anything that someone already has, sorry!

I still don't understand yours!! LOL I've been reading up on it today!! It's sooooo weird that you start your school year in January!! I never knew that!! For us it's a 2 month long summer break and a three weeks Winter break..

I grew up in the Caribbean in Curacao and we did the same there, even though we don't really experience summer or winter etc, School starts in August or September and ends in June..

Do you have a long break in June or July??

school starts in January in South africa as well,we have 4 terms with holidays in between

in our area we say 'low income housing'
I am behind in reading so if I am answering anything that someone already has, sorry!

Yes. We don't have councils for anything. It is low income housing or often just "the projects" from the term "housing projects."

Queensland is big on naming things by brands, Tog and Nikko. I remember when I lived in Melbourne no one in the office knew what I was going on about when I asked for a nikko. Apparently 'port racks' is a very QLD thing as well.

Port racks! What do they call them then?

I heard u get a letter. Dunno about getting an actual fine?

You have to produce a reason why you didn't vote, and there's a $20 fine attached. Not much, but still lol
If you don't have a reason, or don't pay it, then they can take you to court.

Back