Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

I think they are used interchangeably because you put both jelly and jam on toast. But the consistency is different. I have to ask my Mom. I remember her explaining it to me once.

We put Jelly on toast too. My granny makes the best crab-apple jelly and blackcurrant and apple jelly. Jelly is strained so there is not fruit bits, just like the aeroplane jelly except the fruit pectin sets it, not gelatine so it's not quite as solid as aeroplane type jelly. It's pretty much always apple based too otherwise you don't get enough pectin to set it.

The difference is when I was in the USA I found what we would call jam they still also called jelly. And then you have fruit preserves....

School here too, goes from end Jan/Start of Feb to Dec. it kinda blows my mind when I hear about schools overseas starting in pretty much the middle of the year and having only a short break over Christmas and then finishing that school year the following year.

I still don't understand yours!! LOL I've been reading up on it today!! It's sooooo weird that you start your school year in January!! I never knew that!! For us it's a 2 month long summer break and a three weeks Winter break..

I grew up in the Caribbean in Curacao and we did the same there, even though we don't really experience summer or winter etc, School starts in August or September and ends in June..

Do you have a long break in June or July??

Ah! I couldn't figure out "putting tickets on yourself. "

I thought drew meant Maddie was doing something that made him not like her. I was thinking of like a parking ticket instead of a "wait in line for your number to be called"ticket.

Edit to add: though that didn't really make sense to me at the time.

It means to have a big ego or have a high opinion of yourself. Comes from betting tickets (ie like at a horse race) in that the person thinks they're so great they'b bet on themselves.

I still don't understand yours!! LOL I've been reading up on it today!! It's sooooo weird that you start your school year in January!! I never knew that!! For us it's a 2 month long summer break and a three weeks Winter break..

I grew up in the Caribbean in Curacao and we did the same there, even though we don't really experience summer or winter etc, School starts in August or September and ends in June..

Not really. We have four terms of roughly 10 weeks that usually have a two week break between them. Our long break is between the school years. The school year usual finishes at the end of December (or November for high school) and next one starts up again in late January. So we get the Christmas/New Year period off until late January which is our summer.

In QLD the school year for 2013 was:

Term 1 - Tuesday 29 January - Thursday 28 March - 9 weeks
Term 2 - Monday 15 April - Friday 21 June - 10 weeks
Term 3 - Monday 8 July - Friday 20 September - 11 weeks
Term 4 - Tuesday 8 October - Friday 13 December - 10 weeks

Year 12 ends - Friday 15 November
Year 10 and 11 ends - Friday 29 November

There is slight variation between states and public and private schools but usually follows that format.

We have four school terms, The school year starts usually some time after Australia day (26th January) or even into the very begining of February (1st or 2nd) but is usually around the 29th of Jan and then we have 4 terms than average 10 weeks (sometimes one will be 9 and one 11) in between each term (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) there are two weeks of holidays, then 4th term usually ends for public schools around the 20th of December and students get 5 weeks of summer holidays.

Private schools usually have one three week break during the year and finish the first or second week in December, given their students 6 or 7 weeks of summer holidays.

Oh, and [MENTION=9058]qtkt[/MENTION] my thesis isn't due until December as I was quite ill earlier in the semester, so I have 6 weeks extra, if I didn't it would be due on Friday!!

I always thought it made way more sense to start a new school year at the beginning of an actual new year.

Oh, and [MENTION=9058]qtkt[/MENTION] my thesis isn't due until December as I was quite ill earlier in the semester, so I have 6 weeks extra, if I didn't it would be due on Friday!!
Well good luck with it. Just as well BB is finishing early in November - gives you a bit of extra time for your thesis ;)

What I find unusual - in the US you vote on Tuesdays? and it is not compulsory?
We vote for State and Federal Governments on Saturdays and it is compulsory.

Our tax year runs from July 1st to June 30th the following year. You have this at a different time too?

Our tax year runs from July 1st to June 30th the following year. You have this at a different time too?

We're sort of the exception in regards to compulsory voting, most countries don't. Personally I think it's great. As for the whole Tuesday voting I think it's a carry over from the ye olden days when they had to take the cart and buggy into to town to vote and Tuesday was the best day when considering travel time, tending the fields/harvest, and avoiding the Sabbath and rest days.

I do wonder though dear US friends if election day is a public holiday?

I remember watching an episode on The West Wing where voting was done and it was a normal working day. *So probably no snaggers for them ey?* :p

I remember watching an episode on The West Wing where voting was done and it was a normal working day. *So probably no snaggers for them ey?* :p

I swear I've never heard them called snagga/ers; snag/s sure but never snagga. Perhaps it's a west coast thing??

Totally missing out if they don't.

Devon is called Fritz in South Australia. :)

Don't forget "doing a Bradbury". Can never forget Steve Bradbury winning a gold medal in the Winter Olympics because everyone else fell over. lol

lol this is awesome - I love this.

It's funny, was watching a UK show the other day and they were talking about a 'motor' and I was confused because to us a motor is the engine of the car whereas they were talking about the whole car. Then it got me thinking if that was an English thing overall or just a regional thing.

I know that we call different things here in QLD than they do in other states for instance.

Like we call a swimsuit 'togs' and other states call them other things.

Queensland is big on naming things by brands, Tog and Nikko. I remember when I lived in Melbourne no one in the office knew what I was going on about when I asked for a nikko. Apparently 'port racks' is a very QLD thing as well.

I think it's very important that I mention we call shrimps PRAWNS.

I can't tell you the number of times I've wanted to punch someone who's said 'throw another shrimp on the barbie'. I swear that is the worst phrase ever created.

In UK we vote on a Thursday and it isn't compulsory - we have been getting lower and lower turnouts due to voter apathy. Our tax year runs from 1 April each year.

Back