Skip to main content

Why don't people like Ben?

Sorceress

..Bow Down To Thee..
I don't get this, I see so many snarky comments about Ben....and why?
The talking to the photos thing is real creepy, but I don't think he's that bad, I enjoy watching his interactions and views on stuff.

I agree.

He's the nicest one. He's also funny and bubbly.

Ed may be nice, but he's awfully quiet and dull. At least Ben is three dimensional.

I guess he is too quirky and goofy for them. There are people who hate on the weird ones.

Yeah, I think he's fine now, but I thought they were hyping him up too much at the start but whenever I see him take his photos out to talk to them it is total cringe.

Oh and the cooking thing. Couldn't believe he didn't even know how to heat something up.

I don't dislike him as a person, but the emphasis we see put on him is annoying. It's been toned down from when BB would just give him tasks to get him screen time, but we're still shown him doing stuff that really isn't that interesting. Unfortunately that's what a lot of people want to see though, as shown by his save numbers, so it's something that you kind of have to grow used to.

I find it interesting a lot of people insist he's fake on this site. I don't see it that way whatsoever.

I like him. I think he is quirky and at times extremely weird, but he is a nice person at the end of the day. I do have the urge to protect him though. He is one of those people who if people don't understand then will most likely be bullied :(

He seems to be fake. Talks to the cameras often. I dont find it funny that a grown man cant look after himself and channel 9 are promoting him too much. I realise thats not his fault but it puts me off him.
His interactions are good if he just was like that it would be ok. But he seems to think he has to play a character for the show.

Yeah, I think he's fine now, but I thought they were hyping him up too much at the start but whenever I see him take his photos out to talk to them it is total cringe.

Oh and the cooking thing. Couldn't believe he didn't even know how to heat something up.

Yeah, this was one of those things. It's meant to make us go "Aww, look at Ben learning!" Instead it's "WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THAT ALREADY AND HOW DO YOU SURVIVE ON THE OUTSIDE WORLD!?"

He seems to be fake. Talks to the cameras often. I dont find it funny that a grown man cant look after himself and channel 9 are promoting him too much. I realise thats not his fault but it puts me off him.
His interactions are good if he just was like that it would be ok. But he seems to think he has to play a character for the show.
My best mate is very, very similiar.
My mate didn't know what to have for dinner one night and I told he perhaps a toasted sandwich, to which he replied 'How do I do that?'

There are people out there like this.

Last edited:
Maybe the way he talks to the cameras and stuff is just his way of coping in there, I don't think he is fake, We would of seen slip up's by now, Which would be evident by the way HM treat/interact with him. He is a good entertaining character, I loved his little heart to heart with Jade last night. I love his affiliation with the girl's and his times with the boy's it's fun to watch in a pleasant way. He is like the house mediator this year.

I don't like him because he seems fake and behaviour is so contrived. In another post (I think the Ben post) someone talks about knowing someone who worked with him at Virgin. This person says he was definitely not like this at Virgin and was quite bitchy, she said its a put on.

How does he eat at home if he can't cook? Surely he cant afford the luxury of take out on a centerlink payment?

He's simply not a person of substance. What he is capable of is repetition... He acts clueless about things, wants to learn something new, get teased by the housemates, feels lonely... That's all he's about! It's getting old. It 's extremely frustrating to see the others having to treat him differently. Grow up, Ben!

He's always hamming it up. Performing, seeking attention.

Even Tully's persona has more diversity: angry sulking, sad sulking, drunk, drunk happy, happy happy, sulking sulking, crazy.

Because it's pathetic that he's a 30 year old man who seems to be incapable of doing anything for himself & sits around in hi pajamas all day (on BB for heaven's sake)

He's simply not a person of substance. What he is capable of is repetition... He acts clueless about things, wants to learn something new, get teased by the housemates, feels lonely... That's all he's about! It's getting old. It 's extremely frustrating to see the others having to treat him differently. Grow up, Ben!

He's always hamming it up. Performing, seeking attention.

Even Tully's persona has more diversity: angry sulking, sad sulking, drunk, drunk happy, happy happy, sulking sulking, crazy.
I don't see him that way at all.
When he talks in the DR or has conversations with fellow housemates he has a range of different emotions and personality traits.
How do you know he's 'hamming it up' what are you comparing it to?
Like if you're going to say that, do you feel the same about Tim and Mikkayla who both appear to 'ham it up' for the cameras?

I think Ben is really nice. I love how he is afraid to get involved in any arguments. His child like behavoiour is actually very endearing as it's just natural as far as I'm concerned.

I don't dislike Ben but he seems really fake. He acts like a child so people will treat him like a child and that way he doesn't have any responsibilities. I'm sure he's a very nice person and he is fairly entertaining to watch, but I don't like the act he's putting on.

i was watching with someone last night who said "even the way he talks is fake" after seeing him talk/shout/sing for the task. I don't think so though. No different to the fact that I can put on a damn good bogan/Irish/old lady/etc voice lol...comes with being drama-trained, and I get the impression Ben may have had similar growing up.

I don't get this, I see so many snarky comments about Ben....and why?
The talking to the photos thing is real creepy, but I don't think he's that bad, I enjoy watching his interactions and views on stuff.

I have to agree.

To begin with I thought his behaviour must be an act, but after keeping this "act" up for the good part of 4 weeks, I have come to see this is just Ben.

He is simply a sweet, unique man and has all the attributes I admire in a person.

His antics have made me laugh out loud many a time and he is easily in my Top 5. That hot potato onion scenerio last night had my partner, who is a BB hater from way back, chuckling his head off.

To be honest I don't get any of the housemate hate that gets spewed in here. I think they are a great bunch of people and I for one would love to have a few drinks and a family dinner with them all.

I don't mind him at all, have warmed to him more and more over time. Don't even believe he is just an actor anymore. His idiosyncrasies are irritating at times ..but he's sweet and lovable.

Back