Skip to main content

In The News

The shorter version is even more instructive if not educational (and certainly unsubtle) and can be read by all here.

regarDS

Hello!

I didn't see you there... lurking.

What happened?

I thought you had a night planned with loved ones?

I thought you had a night planned with loved ones?

Just gone 17:00 here in the Wild West and we won't be heading out until about 17:30. I guess I could go join LSCP in the shower but I must admit that I'm quite enjoying my recliner for the moment.

How about you ?

To get things back to things newsy, what do you think of KRudd's latest stance on what he formerly and so mendaciously insisted was "the greatest moral challenge of our time" ?

regarDS

I similar wording in the botox conversation

Ah, the old botox away chat, where I gained so many chums for laughing at plastic surgery. Still makes me laugh.
May have gotten a bit over the top and very grumpy that day - but no way have I ever told anyone to die.
Expecting that people will die is not wishing them dead, and I do expect plenty of botoxed/surgery victims to die and have seen enough botched victims.

Ah, the old botox away chat, where I gained so many chums for laughing at plastic surgery. Still makes me laugh.
May have gotten a bit over the top and very grumpy that day - but no way have I ever told anyone to die.
Expecting that people will die is not wishing them dead, and I do expect plenty of botoxed/surgery victims to die and have seen enough botched victims.

hahahahaha I bet you sit there and laugh thinking about it and your online chums, you so Krazy

How about you ?

regarDS

Just had dinner, extra spicy Butter Chicken, rice, with some stir fried veges. My partner has just finished washing up and now expects me to join him on the couch. He is SO needy! I swear if my partner wasn't so good in the sack I would seriously dump his arse! He keeps bellowing for me to join him, but like you I just keep finding my way back to this thread.

Good thing we have our priorities in order.

Full article here here

The start of the end. Rudd ditches carbon tax for a trading scheme. Eurocrats now dictate what we pay.

What once was the Greatest Moral Challenge, has now been downgraded. Not because the evidence shows it is futile, but because of the polls. It’s democracy in action, working through the fog of ulterior motives, and the inefficiency of lazy journalists informing distracted voters or not, polled with non-specific questions. But somehow, through the haze, the public realizes they are getting a bad deal, and finally Rudd realizes there is no rescuing The Carbon Pox that voters didn’t vote for.

We were told we needed a price on carbon specifically to increase our electricity prices, reduce emissions, and to cool global temperatures by zero degrees. Now, apparently the cost of living is too high — even though that was entirely predictable and indeed a mark of the tax’s “success”. Instead of admitting it was a mistake, we’re “moving forward” and now we need to copy a trading scheme that hasn’t worked, and which is called “free” but is fixed by EU bureaucrats that neither we nor even Europeans can vote for. The New Zealanders are ahead of us.
Australia – a non-voting non-member of the EU?

Thus the Australian economy is now partly dependent on decisions made in the EU, which is where the price on carbon (sic) is set. A bit over a week ago the EU voted to cut the number of carbon permits to push up the price. How much do we suppose they were considering the effect on the Australian economies — zero or none?

As I’ve said before, a tax is still better than a trading scheme — it can be removed, and there are not so many middle-men creaming money out of the money-go-round and holding onto long-lived property rights. A trading scheme can’t be unwound without paying compensation.

The people who want a trading scheme the most are those working for or owning shares in corporations with names like Deutsche Bank, HSBC, and Royal Dutch Shell. Yes, Big-Oil wants carbon trading too.

The spinners in the ALP are now claiming they will save Australians $150 a year of power bills and we are supposed to thank them, as if they were not the reason the bills got expensive in the first place. ‘…the Prime Minister will announce the plan to “ease cost of living pressures for families”.’

At least the Greens are calling him a “fake” on climate. ““It is cowardly,” [Christine Milne] told ABC’s Insiders program.”
Rudd could have changed the game

In a perfect world, if Rudd had the honesty and balls to admit that the climate scare had been exaggerated and that he now realized a price on CO2 was premature and ineffective, he would have trounced the opposition completely. He could have said “the evidence has changed”. He could have announced a new climate research centre, loaded with engineers and astronomers who can actually solve the climate puzzle.

Rudd would have proved he really had changed. The opposition would have been left looking silly and weak, with a policy to reduce carbon, caught still meekly caving in to bullies who call anyone a denier who doesn’t toe the line. The Greens would have been apoplectic, but Rudd would gain more votes from the centre than he would lose at the far left. By speaking the truth bravely, the media would have been flummoxed. The Green journalists would have come out on fire, but the left leaning, centrist and right leaning media would either agree and applaud Rudd, or at least tone down the worst of their name-calling. It would be easier for Rudd to pull the pin on the charade than Abbott, because he would carry more of the media.

Rudd could have been a leader, he could have moved the national debate. Instead he has picked a solution which pays lip service to Greens, but is completely at odds with his earlier passion but with no adequate explanation for the change of heart, and one that helps bankers make profits and does nothing for the environment. In trying to be all things to all people, he serves no one.

Does he think the people who saw through the spin will ignore the character defects on display?

Do the media think their readers won’t notice that this is a major backdown?

regarDS

I am not going to dignify the out-pouring of "racism outrage" with individual responses.

Races laugh at each other and generalise, it is okay to laugh. Granted while in a cemetery may be pushing that boundary, though I feel sure I wasn't the first nor the last to let off an inappropriate giggle when seeing it, and that in my opinion is o-fucking-kay.

An Doh, Eddie Murphy, Akmal Saleh, Paul Fenech all used racial depreciating humour, and I find it hilarious. I defy anyone not to laugh at An Doh's "see even Asians think all Asians look alike..." quote. It was hilarious!! I firmly believe racial humour can be funny and think this predictable knee jerk hysteria we see here is an example of political correctness gone mad.

Yeah, try laughing at at another race in your workplace and you'll see yourself in the Centrelink queue.

Big difference between laughing at your own race and laughing at another race.

The whole making fun of names that are different may have seemed humorous back in the day when Alf Garnet was must watch telly but in 2013 especially given a couple of young girls died it's just so dumb.

Yeah, try laughing at at another race in your workplace and you'll see yourself in the Centrelink queue.

The whole making fun of names that are different may have seemed humorous back in the day when Alf Garnet was must watch telly but in 2013 especially given a couple of young girls died it's just so dumb.

It was not meant to be a racial slur, I was laughing at the name.

Just like I laughed when my friends older sister Gay married a guy whose surname was Titcome:- Gay Titcome!!! And to make matters worse, she is a school teacher!!!! Ha! And there was once a boy at my school and his name was Patrick Semen:- Pat Semen!!!! In Maroochydore we have a Gyno called Dr Fucking Dick (okay I just added the fucking but seriously his name is Dr Dick). They are all perfectly fine names, which the crude can find hilariously funny.

Ah Slut, is obviously an Asian name, though when translated to English, it could be something my partner moans when we are role playing. We, like I am sure a lot of others found it funny. Granted not ideal behaviour in a cemetery, but there was a whole family of insertdualenglishtranslationhere Slut's and Ah was the straw that tickled the camels back.

I found the play on Asian names in the initial news story funny. I will not apologise nor make excuses for that. I thought it was a clever play on words and I laughed, just as you laughed when I used the same joke method when poking fun at Uncle Bernie.

It was not meant to be racial in any way, it was name play and I laughed.

And for the record, my workplace is like the United Nations. There is laughter regarding race every single day without fail.

It was not meant to be a racial slur, I was laughing at the name.

Just like I laughed when my friends older sister Gay married a guy whose surname was Titcome:- Gay Titcome!!! And to make matters worse, she is a school teacher!!!! Ha! And there was once a boy at my school and his name was Patrick Semen:- Pat Semen!!!! In Maroochydore we have a Gyno called Dr Fucking Dick (okay I just added the fucking but seriously his name is Dr Dick). They are all perfectly fine names, which the crude can find hilariously funny.

Ah Slut, is obviously an Asian name, though when translated to English, it could be something my partner moans when we are role playing. We, like I am sure a lot of others found it funny. Granted not ideal behaviour in a cemetery, but there was a whole family of insertdualenglishtranslationhere Slut's and Ah was the straw that tickled the camels back.

I found the play on Asian names in the initial news story funny. I will not apologise nor make excuses for that. I thought it was a clever play on words and I laughed, just as you laughed when I used the same joke method when poking fun at Uncle Bernie.

It was not meant to be racial in any way, it was name play and I laughed.

Im going to add this to funny names
http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...ln=Dripps&db=auselectoralrolls&&gss=SEO&hc=20

And for the record, my workplace is like the United Nations. There is laughter regarding race every single day without fail.

So is mine, I really meant with regards to the patients.

Having said that, one of the nurses at my work got hauled over the coals for making reference to "the imports". Back story, a couple of years ago when there was a mass nursing shortage, one of the DON's went overseas and hired nurses from the UK, Nigeria, Zimbabwe and a couple of other places though nearly all had trained in the UK. The UK trained nurses were initially a source of annoyance for some because their single certificate status (mental health only) meant they not trained/qualified to perform several stock standard general nursing procedures including venipuncture. This earned them the name of "imports" when making reference to whether or not someone would be given certain duties on a shift.

Anyway, one of the overseas nurses heard this reference and trouble ensued and the nurse who was overheard was given a written warning.

Imagine if Fanny Dripps and Patrick Semen got married and she decided to be all modern and hyphenate her new name.

She would be Fanny Dripps-Semen.

No don't any of you haters DARE giggle!

That would be her name and if we have learned nothing else here tonight, we have learned there is NOTHING funny about inappropriate name interpretation!

haha!! amazing!

ok this is last one, I used to have a hard time not laughing when I would hear his name
http://www.healthshare.com.au/profile/professional/106362-dr-ufuk-uluca

So is mine, I really meant with regards to the patients.

In my experience derogatory patient comments regarding race are unheard of. Patients are really measured by the amount of pain they bring to your arse, no matter what the race. Though under the protection of anonymity in this forum, if I had to name and shame the worst patients by racial profiling, the greatest percentage of pains my arse would easily come from low income white 20 - 50 year old Australians.

Just out of interest.

So how do you feel about laughing at a person from another race, who is laughing and poking fun at their own race?

Because in essence, you would not be laughing at your own race, you would in fact be laughing at the expense of yet another race?

Sometimes I think people just look for any opportunity to squeal in outrage. It is why most level headed people feel Political Correctness is ruining the free world.

I was called out for making a racist remark a few weeks ago by youngest sons girlfriend, who is Asian. They've been together for 5 years and she is one of the family as far as I'm concerned so this accusation was from left field and hurt me immensely.

She and my 8 year old Grandson were playing table tennis in the family room and Grandson kept slogging the ball hard so girlfriend tells him "Not so hard". I just laughed and said "Yes, you're not Chinese, Darius". Girlfriend said "That's racist."
I said "What? Are you serious? It was a compliment! Chinese Olympic teams are renowned for their ping pong skills?"

It was later explained to me that stereotyping is also considered racist...even if it's done in a complimentary way. /shrugs

I was called "Pom" the other day at a party and didn't feel the need to seek out restitution or apologies...I can take jibing in my stride.

Oh and I have to admit that I actually belly-laughed at that news report that got the names so wrong. How could you not? It was funny and mainly because they reported it with genuine seriousness.

Last edited:
Oh and I have to admit that I actually belly-laughed at that news report that got the names so wrong. How could you not? It was funny and mainly because they reported it with genuine seriousness.

I am so happy at least one other person laughed.

No one likes to be the sole forum evil outsider.

I will look forward to seeing you in hell, Lynn-ann. Be sure to pack your bikini, I have been told it gets all kinds of hot there!

;)

World will be a better place once this creature carks it.
I was called out for making a racist remark a few weeks ago by youngest sons girlfriend, who is Asian. They've been together for 5 years and she is one of the family as far as I'm concerned so this accusation was from left field and hurt me immensely.

She and my 8 year old Grandson were playing table tennis in the family room and Grandson kept slogging the ball hard so girlfriend tells him "Not so hard". I just laughed and said "Yes, you're not Chinese, Darius". Girlfriend said "That's racist."
I said "What? Are you serious? It was a compliment! Chinese Olympic teams are renowned for their ping pong skills?"
So? It's still a generalization.
You could have said any of number of things but you chose to say that.
She was completely in her right.
I was called "Pom" the other day at a party and didn't feel the need to seek out restitution or apologies...I can take jibing in my stride.
Please don't tell me you're serious with that, for real?
SMH.
That is possibly the most uneducated comment I have read in a longtime.

Last edited:
Back