Skip to main content

What music or songs are you listening to?

Straddie.....Yeah I know what you are saying. To have the lower range @ 14 is special!!! Sloop John B is another. Does it have to be a "modern" song because if she can sing lower ranges to high falsetto I have some awesome jazz standards the likes of sarah Vaughan and ella?
No it doesn't have to be a more modern track but it has to be something she feels comfy singing. XFactor are going the way of The Voice this year, with online auditions for the preliminary stage and it has to be a Capella. I said she should go with an Eva Cassidy rendition of ANY song.. as she has that "vibe" to her voice.. I even suggested "Your Face" by Roberta Flack as that would also show here range well and it is a clean vocal.

Yes she has a great lower register.. a warm timbre to her voice which is rare. I wonder if it has anything to do with her love for singing Bobby Mcgee while playing along on her guitar since since she was 9..lol Can't sing Janis without that! lol

No it doesn't have to be a more modern track but it has to be something she feels comfy singing. XFactor are going the way of The Voice this year, with online auditions for the preliminary stage and it has to be a Capella. I said she should go with an Eva Cassidy rendition of ANY song.. as she has that "vibe" to her voice.. I even suggested "Your Face" by Roberta Flack as that would also show here range well and it is a clean vocal.

Yes she has a great lower register.. a warm timbre to her voice which is rare. I wonder if it has anything to do with her love for singing Bobby Mcgee while playing along on her guitar since since she was 9..lol Can't sing Janis without that! lol
Kizzy lol can yr girl sing how low?? I don't want to make you a push parent (worst case) send me what her voice coach said

Oh and here ya go

I don't have body hair its like my face has its own zone
fuckin on it[DOUBLEPOST=1412530726][/DOUBLEPOST]5days = beard I look stupid

Kizzy lol can yr girl sing how low?? I don't want to make you a push parent (worst case) send me what her voice coach said

Oh and here ya go

She can get down there and TY!! LOL She likes singing songs with a bit of growl and grunt to them. Zebra - John Butler Trio is another example of what she likes to sing.

I am the furthest thing from a push parent/stage mum type. She's just grown up with music being an influence as her dad and I and her sister all sing. (recreation only these days). She asked for a guitar when she was 8 and has been singing and playing since.:)

You can play 19 instruments? Holy Moly!! We have a "Prince" on our hands here! *bowing* - not worthy! not worthy!

She can get down there and TY!! LOL She likes singing songs with a bit of growl and grunt to them. Zebra - John Butler Trio is another example of what she likes to sing.

I am the furthest thing from a push parent/stage mum type. She's just grown up with music being an influence as her dad and I and her sister all sing. (recreation only these days). She asked for a guitar when she was 8 and has been singing and playing since.:)

You can play 19 instruments? Holy Moly!! We have a "Prince" on our hands here! *bowing* - not worthy! not worthy!
Can she play by ear?

Can she play by ear?

Yes she does. She will hear a song on Rage or Pop Asia (for example), grab her guitar and play along. She also tends to create a harmony in songs there are none apparent. Just pretty much a musically minded girl over all. She sees it as nothing but fun though, hence just challenging herself with the xfactor thing.

Yes she does. She will hear a song on Rage or Pop Asia (for example), grab her guitar and play along. She also tends to create a harmony in songs there are none apparent. Just pretty much a musically minded girl over all. She sees it as nothing but fun though, hence just challenging herself with the xfactor thing.

@Kismet
Ok well Ill tell you what we did with my godson. His name is seb (I call him zed) his mum was the drummer in the go-betweens before lindy. Anyway, we identified his talent at age 8 (he is now 18) and so his mum decided to encourage him but at a normal kids pace.

He started playing the Piano when he was 10 and by 12 could play complex modulations and also had perfect pitch. (which we suspected) Now a lot of people will brag that they have "perfect pitch" in fact it is not common. Most of my family do (which is stunner rare) cept my sister who is eternally pissed off. LOL So, Z gets to 15 and says "I want to quit school and be a pro muso" I got a phone call from his mum along these lines and we were both horrified. So he came over to stay with me for a few days when I had some REAL musos staying for a long weekend. It was a ploy.

That weekend we made a plan. I would get him work laying down back tracks in the studio as a session player and he would
1. Finish school and make a genuine effort to do well
2. Any money he made would be held in trust by his mother
3. None of this activity would impact on his schooling

and most importantly
4. He would apply to the Con.

I wanted him to go to the con because I have a lot to do with it and I knew he would meet people and experience musical diversity. He has a lot of respect for me (he doesn't see me on here being silly) and followed all of what we talked about to the letter. Although his mum says he did have a few teenage fuckups along the way.

He was accepted into the Con and has done his first year. He also got an OP2 which allows him (if need be) to pursue many avenues of study.(which is cool as Im his godfather and well yanno)
Now he is a "man" lol and he is a fabulously well adjusted kid. His dad was a bastard and scarfered when he was 9 so this has been quite a journey. He is now a great young man and it actually quite shy which is funny, because when he plays he can own a stage.

Through his mum and I and a few others he has met many people who are idolish, I introduced him to Chrissie Hynde last year and she signed his Fender Squire which I bought him when he was 14 and even though he is a gen yer or whatever he is, that axe is his pride and joy. The music business like many of the arts is a knock em down and drag em out kinda affair. Any young person wanting to go that way needs to be well equipped and have a back up plan.

The reason why I am telling you this is because you sound like a great mum and yr lil girl sounds like she has genuine talent. Now if she were to do well on Xfactor, I imagine all sorts of vultures would want a pound of flesh but It will be fleeting. My advise would be get a voice coach if she doesn't already have one, get her to play some flamenco and classical guitar to toughen up her fingering and make sure she gets involved with as many different musical styles as possible.

At 14, school is the number 1 priority. She must not be too sidetracked with music as hard as that is. I don't know if any of this helps but I have seen many kids down this path and mentored a few. If you need any advice drop me a line.

Oh.......and drugs are baaad mkay :)

Back