Skip to main content

So...Back with "revised format"?

I don't follow the other Big Brothers to much... is there a possible TDLR that someone can provide me?

The American format is pretty simple...

At the beginning of each week a completion decides the Head of Household (HoH) who has the power to nominate two HM's for possible eviction... This power cannot be held for consecutive weeks...

The HoH, the two nominees, and three additional HM's chosen by random draw will compete for the Power of Veto (POV)... The winner of the POV has the option to veto one of the nominations and will force the HoH to nominate a replacement...

The remaining HM's excluding the two nominees and HoH will all vote to evict at the end of the week... Should the eviction vote result in a tie the HoH will cast the deciding vote...

The winner in the American format is decided by a jury made up of a predetermined number of previously evicted HM's...

Another major difference from the traditional BB format is that HM's are openly encouraged to strategize and form alliances with other HM's... The American format can best be described as "Survivor in a house" but often involves more social gameplay and complex strategy...

In the fall of 2016 BBUS launched Big Brother: Over the Top which was distributed via CBS: All Access... This version aired exclusively online and included public participation...

Changes to the format included:

America's Nominee: each week a public vote is held to decide a third nominee who will sit along side those chosen by the HoH. America could not vote for the same HM in consecutive weeks. Should the POV be used to save America's Nominee a replacement would not be named... This would leave the two remaining HM's nominated by the HoH eligible for eviction.

America's Eviction Vote: the nominated HM with the highest number of public will have a single vote to evicted added to their eviction vote tallie. As in the regular format the remaining HM's excluding those nomined and HoH will vote to evict.

America's Care Package: a predetermined special power would be awarded to a HM chosen by the public. Powers included but were not limited to cancelling a number of fellow HM's votes to evict, awarding safety to a fellow HM, or being awarded co-HoH with the power to nominate one of the two nominees for the week.

America's Have-Not's: each week the public voted to determine three HM's who would eat "slop" (a special high protein oatmeal) for the week and would would sleep in a special room designed to be extremely uncomfortable.

America's winner: for the first time since the US format changed the viewing public would have the sole responsibility of determining the winner.

The American format is pretty simple...

At the beginning of each week a completion decides the Head of Household (HoH) who has the power to nominate two HM's for possible eviction... This power cannot be held for consecutive weeks...

The HoH, the two nominees, and three additional HM's chosen by random draw will compete for the Power of Veto (POV)... The winner of the POV has the option to veto one of the nominations and will force the HoH to nominate a replacement...

The remaining HM's excluding the two nominees and HoH will all vote to evict at the end of the week... Should the eviction vote result in a tie the HoH will cast the deciding vote...

The winner in the American format is decided by a jury made up of a predetermined number of previously evicted HM's...

Another major difference from the traditional BB format is that HM's are openly encouraged to strategize and form alliances with other HM's... The American format can best be described as "Survivor in a house" but often involves more social gameplay and complex strategy...

In the fall of 2016 BBUS launched Big Brother: Over the Top which was distributed via CBS: All Access... This version aired exclusively online and included public participation...

Changes to the format included:

America's Nominee: each week a public vote is held to decide a third nominee who will sit along side those chosen by the HoH. America could not vote for the same HM in consecutive weeks. Should the POV be used to save America's Nominee a replacement would not be named... This would leave the two remaining HM's nominated by the HoH eligible for eviction.

America's Eviction Vote: the nominated HM with the highest number of public will have a single vote to evicted added to their eviction vote tallie. As in the regular format the remaining HM's excluding those nomined and HoH will vote to evict.

America's Care Package: a predetermined special power would be awarded to a HM chosen by the public. Powers included but were not limited to cancelling a number of fellow HM's votes to evict, awarding safety to a fellow HM, or being awarded co-HoH with the power to nominate one of the two nominees for the week.

America's Have-Not's: each week the public voted to determine three HM's who would eat "slop" (a special high protein oatmeal) for the week and would would sleep in a special room designed to be extremely uncomfortable.

America's winner: for the first time since the US format changed the viewing public would have the sole responsibility of determining the winner.

That would make a much better big brother. Australian audiences really can't be trusted to make the right choice.

That would make a much better big brother. Australian audiences really can't be trusted to make the right choice.
Well duh....

238666A800000578-2849929-And_the_winner_is_Ryan_Ginns_is_the_winner_of_Big_Brother_Austra-30_1417005138792.jpg

Thanks for that Kingston, much appreciated!

You're welcome... I only touched on the core elements of the format... Obviously I couldn't go in to every single twist or variation they've used over the years as the show has been running continuously for the last 17 years... If you'd like to do a bit more reading both Big Brother Brazil and Big Brother Quebec use their own unique variant of the US format... They also have Wikipedia pages in English... If you're interested at all in watching a series using the American format I highly recommend you watch Big Brother Canada... Amongst international fans it seems to rate higher...

Just because the viewers aren't traditionally involved in the decision making processes doesn't mean the best decision is always made either... BBUS has had more than a handful of unworthy winners and more often than not fan favorites tend to be on the losing end...

If Australia does decide to move forward with the American format incorporating viewer participation in one way or another is essential... Having the viewer become part of "the game" IMO is the only way Australian audiences are going to become invested in the format...

That said they can't have too much influence either... I think BB:OTT showed that too much influence can weaken strategy and often leads to the house ultimately siding with the viewers...

Ideally this is how I'd like to see Australia adapt the American format:

Each week the HM's will compete to be Head of Household... As in the American format this HM will be given the power to nominate two HM's for possible eviction... The HoH will also have the power later in the week to nullify (in private) one eviction vote...

The public will award a special power to the HM of their choice which is called The Golden Key... This HM will be granted safety from nomination and will nominate a third HM for possible eviction... Just like HoH this power cannot be awarded in consecutive weeks...

Unlike the American format only the three nominated HM's will compete for The Power of Veto... The winner of this competition will earn the power to veto their nomination... No replacement will be named in their place...

Once nominations have been finalized the public will be given a chance to cast a single vote to evict along side the remaining HM's... The HoH and the two nominees do not vote... In the event of a deadlocked vote the public vote is the tie-breaker... This is the only time the result of the vote will be revealed to the house...

Last edited:
Ideally this is how I'd like to see Australia adapt the American format:

Each week the HM's will compete to be Head of Household... As in the American format this HM will be given the power to nominate two HM's for possible eviction... The HoH will also have the power later in the week to nullify (in private) one eviction vote...

The public will award a special power to the HM of their choice which is called The Golden Key... This HM will be granted safety from nomination and will nominate a third HM for possible eviction... Just like HoH this power cannot be awarded in consecutive weeks...

Unlike the American format only the three nominated HM's will compete for The Power of Veto... The winner of this competition will earn the power to veto their nomination... No replacement will be named in their place...

Once nominations have been finalized the public will be given a chance to cast a single vote to evict along side the remaining HM's... The HoH and the two nominees do not vote... In the event of a deadlocked vote the public vote is the tie-breaker... This is the only time the result of the vote will be revealed to the house...

This is pretty close to how I'd want an Australian adaptation of the US format play out.

My only exception is to keep the veto players at six, and the keep the replacement nominee to keep alive the backdoor strategy.

Just because the viewers aren't traditionally involved in the decision making processes doesn't mean the best decision is always made either... BBUS has had more than a handful of unworthy winners and more often than not fan favorites tend to be on the losing end...

If Australia does decide to move forward with the American format incorporating viewer participation in one way or another is essential... Having the viewer become part of "the game" IMO is the only way Australian audiences are going to become invested in the format...

That said they can't have too much influence either... I think BB:OTT showed that too much influence can weaken strategy and often leads to the house ultimately siding with the viewers...

I strongly disagree young Kingston. The viewer should not be part of the game at all. I feel very strongly about that.

This is pretty close to how I'd want an Australian adaptation of the US format play out.

My only exception is to keep the veto players at six, and the keep the replacement nominee to keep alive the backdoor strategy.

Not sure how I feel about the backdoor remaining a part of common gameplay... The veto these days seems to play too pivtol a role and IMO using it's become become a bit of a joke... I really feel that when the HoH nominates that it should mean something... For me the best way to achieve that was to eliminate the backdoor strategy altogether...

I strongly disagree young Kingston. The viewer should not be part of the game at all. I feel very strongly about that.

I'm not saying you're stupid... I'm just saying you've got bad luck when it comes to thinking.

The American format is already very different from what Australians have grown to expect from Big Brother... Cutting the viewer off completely from participating is pushing it... BB:OTT was actually a pretty solid format and was quite engaging in the early weeks... That said they really took the idea just a bit too far... With a bit of restraint and fine tuning they'd be able to produce an excellent second series...

I'm not saying you're stupid... I'm just saying you've got bad luck when it comes to thinking.

The American format is already very different from what Australians have grown to expect from Big Brother... Cutting the viewer off completely from participating is pushing it... BB:OTT was actually a pretty solid format and was quite engaging in the early weeks... That said they really took the idea just a bit too far... With a bit of restraint and fine tuning they'd be able to produce an excellent second series...

I am not stupid I am quite smart. A fine young intelligent person I am indeed.

Well I disagree kind sir. Viewers need to be cut off so they can learn not to make stupid choices all the time. It is the only way they will ever learn. To do otherwise would doom Big Brother into making the same mistakes over and over again.

I am not stupid I am quite smart. A fine young intelligent person I am indeed.

Well I disagree kind sir. Viewers need to be cut off so they can learn not to make stupid choices all the time. It is the only way they will ever learn. To do otherwise would doom Big Brother into making the same mistakes over and over again.

I'm sorry but you're completely irrational about this... I mean it's pretty hard to screw up when the powers you hold are extremely limited... Has no one ever explained to you what the difference between the words affect and effect are?

I'm sorry but you're completely irrational about this... I mean it's pretty hard to screw up when the powers you hold are extremely limited... Has no one ever explained to you what the difference between the words affect and effect are?

me? being completely irrational? i am a model of sanity in a world gone insane dear sir. and i know the difference between affect and effect.

but it doesn't matter how limited the audience power is they will still find a way to screw it up. why? because they can not be trusted to make the correct choice. time after time after time after time they have proven how incompetent they are in choosing the right winner.

You're welcome... I only touched on the core elements of the format... Obviously I couldn't go in to every single twist or variation they've used over the years as the show has been running continuously for the last 17 years... If you'd like to do a bit more reading both Big Brother Brazil and Big Brother Quebec use their own unique variant of the US format... They also have Wikipedia pages in English... If you're interested at all in watching a series using the American format I highly recommend you watch Big Brother Canada... Amongst international fans it seems to rate higher...

Might consider watching the canadian format from time to time! Don't worry about all the twists and that haha, you summarised the main concepts really well and made them understandable :)

I also agree with this point. I believe the viewership (in terms of Australian BB) is significantly influenced by viewer participation and choice. We aren't always going to end up with a 'worthy' winner in each series, and i don't think it's because of 'people are to stupid to vote'. People make judgements which at times align to their interests i suppose. Not only that, most of the time those who are interesting or provide the public with entertainment generally get more screen time (even better when it's not family friendly!). Unfortunately...? - Housemates can also use this as a strategic ploy and stray away from their true selves which could of made them interesting in the first place?

Back