Skip to main content

Report: "Uncertain future" after "ratings disaster"

Well, as I have said in the Final-week-schedule-of-bb-australia thread, if this does happen to be the last season of BBAU, I for one will miss it. I mean, as crappy and as bad and as rubbishy as channel 7 have made it, we are all still here, watching it and talking about it.
Talking about it; yes. Watching it.... not necessarily.

I don't think I need to be watching this season to get an understanding of how bad it is. I do commend all those on here that have persevered and are still watching, just to let the rest of us know how bad it is.

Well, as I have said in the Final-week-schedule-of-bb-australia thread, if this does happen to be the last season of BBAU, I for one will miss it. I mean, as crappy and as bad and as rubbishy as channel 7 have made it, we are all still here, watching it and talking about it.
I for one don’t think it will be the last but whomever does revive it after this needs to really take a hard look at what made BB so popular in the first place.

I do think the biggest thing that works against the show at the moment is how Sunday to Wednesday scheduling dominates the commercial landscape - which makes 10 the only channel really which could accomodate it for a six night a week schedule, which if going live I think would be what it needs.

I do think the biggest thing that works against the show at the moment is how Sunday to Wednesday scheduling dominates the commercial landscape - which makes 10 the only channel really which could accomodate it for a six night a week schedule, which if going live I think would be what it needs.
I'm pretty sure we'd all love to see that.

And also out of all the channels channel 10 has really nothing to lose, they barely had anything be succesful this year.

The question then would be when - obviously 2024 isn't happening and I wouldn't put it past Seven to use whatever they can to prevent it going back to the market too soon if they believe Channel 10 might be interested.

The good thing about this series rating so low is most people won't even know it exists, so if it returned in early 2025 it would probably feel like it's been off air nearly 3 years rather than just over one. Or indeed for those who just ignored the Seven version it'll be over a decade - nearly two decades if they ignored Nine as well. For me this year BBUK was returning after 13 years because I just never considered the show C5 churned out to be the Big Brother I knew and loved.

The other option of course is a streamer, and that eliminates the scheduling issue - though they'd need to get audiences to a live broadcast once a week if they're doing evictions properly. I don't see it as highly likely myself, but if new quotas are pushed through requiring more Aussie content then Big Brother can offer alot of hours (especially if they can count a live feed), though without the international resale value scripted content or original reality shows might offer.

One area where Big Brother does lag behind now is (officially) airing international versions abroad in an era where the likes of Traitors and Love Island utilise the international versions alongside their domestic series.

Last edited:
All I know is that I'm not even gonna bother to vote and now I am not even gonna watch the rest considering the final episode is pre-recorded. I'll most likely download the finale VOD off 7plus and just skip ahead to the winner announcement, cringe at the cheesy pre-recorded nature of it and then delete the VOD, never to watch this rubbish <s>"once-celebrated"</s> format from Seven ever again. One can say this particularly dogshit iteration of BB is now in the final stages where the RMS Titanic has torn in half, and the stern section is slowly being lifted out of the water while being pulled under by the bow section. There is no saving it anymore. It's circling the drain and I'll happily be waving it bye-bye as it crosses the threshold into the abyss where it belongs.

All I know is that I'm not even gonna bother to vote and now I am not even gonna watch the rest considering the final episode is pre-recorded. I'll most likely download the finale VOD off 7plus and just skip ahead to the winner announcement, cringe at the cheesy pre-recorded nature of it and then delete the VOD, never to watch this rubbish <s>"once-celebrated"</s> format from Seven ever again. One can say this particularly dogshit iteration of BB is now in the final stages where the RMS Titanic has torn in half, and the stern section is slowly being lifted out of the water while being pulled under by the bow section. There is no saving it anymore. It's circling the drain and I'll happily be waving it bye-bye as it crosses the threshold into the abyss where it belongs.
Haha, I like your style.

The question then would be when - obviously 2024 isn't happening and I wouldn't put it past Seven to use whatever they can to prevent it going back to the market too soon if they believe Channel 10 might be interested.

The good thing about this series rating so low is most people won't even know it exists, so if it returned in early 2025 it would probably feel like it's been off air nearly 3 years rather than just over one. Or indeed for those who just ignored the Seven version it'll be over a decade - nearly two decades if they ignored Nine as well. For me this year BBUK was returning after 13 years because I just never considered the show C5 churned out to be the Big Brother I knew and loved.

The other option of course is a streamer, and that eliminates the scheduling issue - though they'd need to get audiences to a live broadcast once a week if they're doing evictions properly. I don't see it as highly likely myself, but if new quotas are pushed through requiring more Aussie content then Big Brother can offer alot of hours (especially if they can count a live feed), though without the international resale value scripted content or original reality shows might offer.

One area where Big Brother does lag behind now is (officially) airing international versions abroad in an era where the likes of Traitors and Love Island utilise the international versions alongside their domestic series.
A streamer could be interesting but I’m not sure BBAU is quite ready to move away from traditional broadcast TV just yet. They could possibly get away with something similar to ITV/ITVX though.

Funnily enough, that's something that is not true for the Channel 7 version of the show. Their first season travelled around the world quite a bit, being sold to (at least) New Zealand, the Netherlands, Finland, India, the UK and the US. Some countries added more seasons (e.g. BBVIP in the UK), but I don't think the show was doing well in any of these countries.

Some countries added more seasons (e.g. BBVIP in the UK), but I don't think the show was doing well in any of these countries.
Yeah VIP absolutely tanked in the UK. Expectations were probably already low because it aired on E4, but it did so badly they pulled it after a few episodes and released the rest online only. 😂

E4 bought MAFS during covid which was a ridiculous hit for them (over 1m a night in a slot that would usually get a quarter of that) so they then went up buying pretty much any Aussie reality show they could get their hands on. It was only the BB VIP series they bought though and it was pulled after 2 or 3 episodes. They must have got the first Seven series too as that's online as well - been there since Aug 2022 and I've only just noticed, which says everything really.

I do wonder what might have happened with BBUK if in an alternate universe they'd have gone looking at say Big Brother Canada to fill some airtime during the covid lockdowns.

Back