Skip to main content

Million Dollar Island

I think it's fairly obvious who will stick around awhile by the amount of confessionals they got in episode 1.
But the bulk of the cast who got confessionals in ep 1 have been sent home from the island. They seem to be featuring the people who have a major role in each ep, whether or not they go home.

*approx households - started writing 3,300, which is what it used to be from memory, but saw it's more now.

More frustrating money given to people we've never heard of until now.
It might make sense for those involved but it's unsatisfying to watch.

Why are they all sucking up to Brett? I can't stand him already.

So lost a third of it's audience overnight. Knew it was going to flop but didn't think it would be by that much and that quickly.

Million Dollar Island will be relegated to Seven Flix or Seven Mate pretty soon, unless the ratings improve. Maybe when the Ashes cricket starts on Nine from Friday, that might draw some viewers over to Seven who aren't cricket nuts.

Aren't ratings figures only done via approx households who have been recruited by Oztam?

OzTAM upgraded to VOZ: https://www.mediaweek.com.au/voz-launches-daily-overnight-viewing-data/

image-3.png

I tried to read that... But they are not sucking the data out of everyone's devices, are they?

I tried to read that... But they are not sucking the data out of everyone's devices, are they?

Kind of, when you stream from 9NOW/7PLUS/etc on your laptop or phone/tablet, or watch live or recorded on a Foxtel or Fetch box, it's all being added to the ratings now. You don't need a ratings box any more because your devices are already internet connected. The networks will always have recorded the data for online views, it's only now they have agreed to supply them to OzTAM/VOZ.

I suspect the reason Alone Australia got so many catch up views was because overseas Alone fans like myself have been watching via On Demand lol.

I am enjoying the show, but there is a strange misalignment between how the format is presented to the audience and the experience of the contestants.

The wristbands just mean you stay on the show. The $10,000 value is meaningless. Yet we're meant to be invested in them as having monetary value. That guy who gave up the "50k" proves how meaningless they are to the contestants. It's a game of getting to the finish line.

We're meant to be invested in hoping people are saved and stay on the show. At the will of the contestants. Yet their motivation is to get rid of as many people as possible. There's an inherent contradiction in what we as an audience are told to want, versus what the contestants want.

The whole "survival" aspect is also weird. Are we meant to believe these people are literally foraging for limpets for sustenance? The way they refer to all of that just makes me certain they have a restricted staple diet. We know there's got to be a whole facility right at the beach for the production crew. Including bathrooms for the contestants. It's just odd.

Yes they count that in the 28 day figures (and maybe also a week after airing?), but presumably only if you've recorded it via Foxtel or a Fetch box which will "know" and report back that you recorded/watched it.

[VOZ] includes viewing through the television set (both live and played back up to 28 days later) and on connected devices such as connected TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones. https://virtualoz.com.au/what-is-voz/
Ha, thank you, I always wanted to know, now finally I know :) I record with a Fetch box.
I think 50 people would have been enough to start with. I am enjoying the show more now, I need to know the people to get fully involved.

Yes, I didn't understand that either, maybe he is super nice with them and we don't see him???

I am enjoying the show, but there is a strange misalignment between how the format is presented to the audience and the experience of the contestants.

The wristbands just mean you stay on the show. The $10,000 value is meaningless. Yet we're meant to be invested in them as having monetary value. That guy who gave up the "50k" proves how meaningless they are to the contestants. It's a game of getting to the finish line
There has been a few formats where prize money is split then each evictee has to pass on what they earned (did BB08 do it?) and it's largely symbolic - although I suspect once we get to the final 2 the winner will only get what they inherited so that effectively halves the prize payout for the winner.

It's one of those reality TV ideas that works better on paper than in reality.

There has been a few formats where prize money is split then each evictee has to pass on what they earned (did BB08 do it?) and it's largely symbolic - although I suspect once we get to the final 2 the winner will only get what they inherited so that effectively halves the prize payout for the winner.

It's one of those reality TV ideas that works better on paper than in reality.
Yes they do that in "Pekin Express" The French Amazing Race. Each day the first person to arrive get $10.000, and when they are eliminated they give all their winnings to who they want

But the bulk of the cast who got confessionals in ep 1 have been sent home from the island. They seem to be featuring the people who have a major role in each ep, whether or not they go home.

*approx households - started writing 3,300, which is what it used to be from memory, but saw it's more now.
That's not completely true. There's quite a few left from episode 1 who got confessionals, and yes some of them were relevant to the episode like Tim and Brett, but Tess and Payton haven't been relevant to the game basically at all yet, yet are getting content every episode.

I did say the bulk of them. There are a smattering introduced each ep who have some relevance that is not immediately clear, and some recurring players - but the bulk of them end up relevant to that ep, and the results of the challenge, and many of those in ep one interviews - like Scott the carpenter who set up Top camp, Sherwin who made himself the leader of Vine camp - went home ep one, or needed to be known to us as they were relevant to action in eps 2 and 3 - like Tess with 6 kids who got a bracelet from a departee, or the snorer who gave her bracelet to the battler, Payton. It would be pretty dull if there was nothing at stake for anyone getting gifted $10k by a departing player, and no-one reognizable.

I think they are doing a nice job of highlighting some camp dynamics that lead into some decisions later on, and also in introducing a smattering at a time of the 100 initial cast.

I rest my case! A large number of those featured with multiple confessionals in the earlier eps, gone. Tonight, Louise, the battler; Payton; Sharnie, the challenge beast; Dean, the carpenter, ditto; also Tim from Vine camp.

So glad that beardy Brett has been knocked off his top perch.

I'm enjoying it, but I wish they wouldn't give so much away.
We knew that Tess was surviving tonight, as we hadn't yet seen her challenging Brett, and the "mama bear" stuff in the ads.
And at the end of tonight's show we saw the two going head to head tomorrow.

Have to admit that I was a little bit incorrect about some of the people I thought would stick around, definitely thought Sharnie and Payton were gonna get saved and stick around, though Tess being the one to survive wasn't a surprise and I'm sticking with my prediction of her being in the final 3.

Corey was the sort of player I was talking about who was sitting very pretty and playing a great social game but now he's the richest person and will likely have a target on his back just like Brett. There's definitely a bit of luck to this game for sure.

There were a few who I thought would be important who turned out not to be.
For example I noticed the woman who was nodding in agreement when Tess made her big speech about being a family, but then she was on the losing tribe and I don't think we even learned her name.

And the guy given a villain edit, who willingly left last night and turned out to be just a regular person and not some scheming ruthless person after all.

More people we've never seen before being gifted bracelets by the quitters.

The four who went home kind of deserved it for not targeting Brett.

Back