Skip to main content

Million Dollar Island

Evan44

It premieres tonight on the Seven Network. I'll tune in and give it a look, but it smells like a blatant ripoff of Survivor or Australian Survivor. And it promises to be even more cut throat and nasty than Survivor.
Channel 7 needs a ratings hit in the reality TV arena, not another dud like Blowup Australia. The ratings figures for tonight's episode will be much awaited, especially as Home & Away has been yanked off air tonight to make way for the new juggernaut.

LOL good luck to them. When they bumped Big Brother to Q4 it was obvious they knew it was bad. I'm tipping Nine to win the ratings year.

I'll tape it, but they couldn't have chosen a worse host. I hate that guy.

The parental show and Masterchef will kill it in tonight's ratings.

Watching it now, it's fine. Got my attention. Not sure if I'll watch every episode but it seems watchable.

A tip to the production. When a contestant has lost their red wristband and need to get another to stay in the game. When you film the confessional of them saying its unlikely. Maybe don't have them visibly wearing a red wristband in the shot.

I didn't mind it, but I suspect after the initial curiosity, the ratings figures will drop right off for the rest of this week and next week.

Fair play to the creators who managed to sell it all over the world before it had even aired in one country - and then when it did air in the Netherlands it became one of their biggest flops in reality TV history and most countries cancelled their orders. Seven obviously didn't keep the receipt though.

Channel 7 is known for flogging dud reality show formats, think of Holey Moley and Blow Up Australia as recent examples.

I liked it. The location is beautiful - all those colours of the water - and I enjoy Ant as host. Could have watched a double ep, easily.

I enjoyed it.

I would have preferred if they only used Ant for the hosting, and a voiceover with a less irritating voice for the narration.

Oh and stop voting out the eye candy!

I don't mind the show, I think I will like it more when there will be fewer people.
I jumped ahead when they were fighting for the supplies, I hate to see people behaving like beasts.

Holy moly could a more low IQ idiot have been the first person with power? Put's himself up with 5 of the strongest people in the game and then doesn't bother to try and save himself when he has the chance!

Honestly feel a bit bad for Scott and Dan. Feels like they did nothing wrong and seemed to be social players, but just undone by the format.

I think it's fairly obvious who will stick around awhile by the amount of confessionals they got in episode 1.

Format seems designed to reward mostly middle of the road likeable people, neither too strong or weak, who can avoid the eliminations by being friends with the right people. We will see how it plays out I guess.

Format wise they probably could have done with culling half the cast within the first episode and three quarters by the end of the first week to get it down to a manageable cast for the viewers to follow. Just cutting a handful from a cast of 100 nobody knows anything about feels pointless.

Holy moly could a more low IQ idiot have been the first person with power? Put's himself up with 5 of the strongest people in the game and then doesn't bother to try and save himself when he has the chance!

I guess when you're a jock like that and competitive you can't sit one out? I was wondering if he thought he was doing 3D chess. He'll win, and then he'll be doing well at the social game for putting himself up. Yet that makes no sense as he'd put a target on his back.

I really think he honestly must have been like a dog seeing a ball flying through the air and had to chase it without thinking at all.

I am curious as to the staged nature of this show. They clearly did not jump in the water, swim ashore and then walk to the arena. Seems to be trickery about what's going and the staging of it and locations. Even so far as two different beaches for shots that list the location of the camps.

EDIT.
judging so far from the first segment of ep2. They have used 4 diffetent locations in establishing shots for the beach. I don't think any are the beach being used.

Format wise they probably could have done with culling half the cast within the first episode and three quarters by the end of the first week to get it down to a manageable cast for the viewers to follow. Just cutting a handful from a cast of 100 nobody knows anything about feels pointless.

Physical 100 did this, but it annoyed me because it was a bit unfair to a lot of the people cut.

Last edited:
It seems pretty selfish to me when someone who has decided to go home decides to give their money to some random they've just met rather than saving one of the people who are actually in danger.

It seems pretty selfish to me when someone who has decided to go home decides to give their money to some random they've just met rather than saving one of the people who are actually in danger.
I also find it doesn't quite feel right but I think thats our perspective as a viewer.

For people on the show, they're probably thinking, "why would I save some random person and not help someone I befriended."

When they do Ratings how do they count people who record the show?

Yes they count that in the 28 day figures (and maybe also a week after airing?), but presumably only if you've recorded it via Foxtel or a Fetch box which will "know" and report back that you recorded/watched it.

[VOZ] includes viewing through the television set (both live and played back up to 28 days later) and on connected devices such as connected TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones. https://virtualoz.com.au/what-is-voz/

The editing of this show is a bit shonky, we all knew that Anju was surviving because they hadn't showed his 'I'm coming for them" scene yet. A lot of Ant's comment's during the challenges appear to have to been edited in after the episode and not particularly well at that.

I do like the greater variety of people that are on the show than the usual influencers though. Mel and Louise were a breath of fresh air for me.

Can they make it any more obvious that Tess is (probably) in the final 3 lol.

Yes they count that in the 28 day figures (and maybe also a week after airing?), but presumably only if you've recorded it via Foxtel or a Fetch box which will "know" and report back that you recorded/watched it.

[VOZ] includes viewing through the television set (both live and played back up to 28 days later) and on connected devices such as connected TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones. https://virtualoz.com.au/what-is-voz/
Aren't ratings figures only done via approx households who have been recruited by Oztam?

Back