Skip to main content

"Intruders" is such a boring idea now

i complete agree with the OP.

However, I think the problem with the production is more fundamental. It gets boring late in the season, that we can all agree. The intruder solution fails time and again, which we can also agree on.

So shouldn't we go back and ask why it gets boring late in the season? or why they have no other options? With the contrived storylines, ridiculously limited footage and drip fed narrative, they leave themselves no options when it gets this late.

Had we been tracking all of the housemates and their multi-faceted personalities, there would probably be a lot more go-to footage available even at this late stage - things that would be new, old angles re-discovered and explored.

I'll also add that, if it has to be an intruder-scenario, how about use it as the crucible for experimentation. For example, set up an intruder "house" in week 2 and fill it with, say, 6 possible contestants. Have it available via live-feed with in-house blogging only. Let this go on for 4 weeks, then do a "vote to intrude". Spruik it through the main show, but build the buzz and anticipation online.

At that point, you're 7 weeks in, there's maybe 8-10 housemates left, and bang, 4 intruders enter en masse, and leave them save for two weeks until they're almost the same number as original HMs. Combined with 4-6 nominees each week, and you're almost certain to give a couple of them a chance to capture attention and re-invigorate interest before the storylines grow stale.

You are a frikkin genius. I ADORE this idea.

Get on it BB

I agree but coming into the house talking about 'destroying' the second favourite to win was pretty much committing bb suicide. If he really had been watching the show prior to entering and wanted to stay on he should have acted differently for the first week and then once safe go off on his crusade or whatever.

I think Justynn hoped that people would want to see him challenge Tim. Keep in mind that he said he had no intention of winning, he only wanted to cause a stir.

I'll also add that, if it has to be an intruder-scenario, how about use it as the crucible for experimentation. For example, set up an intruder "house" in week 2 and fill it with, say, 6 possible contestants. Have it available via live-feed with in-house blogging only. Let this go on for 4 weeks, then do a "vote to intrude". Spruik it through the main show, but build the buzz and anticipation online.

At that point, you're 7 weeks in, there's maybe 8-10 housemates left, and bang, 4 intruders enter en masse, and leave them save for two weeks until they're almost the same number as original HMs. Combined with 4-6 nominees each week, and you're almost certain to give a couple of them a chance to capture attention and re-invigorate interest before the storylines grow stale.

Yes, yes and YES

Having 'guests' intrude on the house for a few days would take care of the fresh face angle.

now that would be good - the fact that we're getting BB on autopilot (week number such and such so THIS will happen, this day of the week so we get this happening) = Major Snoozefest

the only way to keep them guessing is to rattle their cages and keep them guessing ... they are in Club Med not the Big Brother House!!

seriously loving your next post (don't want to flood the board with my posts so keeping it altogether) ... your mention of Justpulstyn's hard places and showing his goods ... it just keeps giving and giving :)

maybe future intruders weren't real housemates but paid actors to cause drama?

most of the housemates are already models/actors - how would another one improve on the drama? or did I miss the sarcastic note to your post somehow?

However, I think the problem with the production is more fundamental. It gets boring late in the season, that we can all agree. The intruder solution fails time and again, which we can also agree on.

So shouldn't we go back and ask why it gets boring late in the season? or why they have no other options? With the contrived storylines, ridiculously limited footage and drip fed narrative, they leave themselves no options when it gets this late.

Had we been tracking all of the housemates and their multi-faceted personalities, there would probably be a lot more go-to footage available even at this late stage - things that would be new, old angles re-discovered and explored.

love the vote to intrude idea ... and the mass intrusions :)

Pretty damn good idea. Let me add with the fundamental side of things that BB needs to do "flashbacks" during the daily show, not the eviction show when they're already out or nominations. I swear I've seen this done before, maybe BBUS or UK even BBAU but not enough, but for example if Mikkayla in the DS says to Tim "I didn't use all the cream" immediately we see a flashback of earlier that day in black and white of Mikkayla using all the cream. If they did that a lot more it would add more interest and it doesn't even have to be lies it can be about housemates reference things that we usually only take their word on it yet never see it, an example is of Jade describing how her and Ed had a private chat with Nathan.

The twists have been pathetic as a whole though as it's been like "Ok housemates eviction time... PSYCHE! No eviction guys", "A celebrity is entering the house guys...PSYCHE! it's a dog", "Nominations time again... PSYCHE! you're all up".

They are NOT twists, I'm calling them Kruger Psyche Outs! Just wait for the next KPO, it'll be exciting as always...PSYCHE!

I find it funny that people think Justynn should have taken it easy for a week or so before wreaking havoc. It's a bit like saying he should have acted like Tully. Because everyone really thought she was great and she should win?

I don't like intruders much either to be honest. With a few exceptions, they almost always end up serving as eviction shields for the other housemates. The spectacle of the revolving door of housemates becomes more important than the actual show, and it's a signal of desperation. It's the same reason I dislike double evictions too.

I was actually hoping that for the first time this year we wouldn't have any intruders. I always assumed Katie & Lucy and Rohan were essentially this year's intruders, but put in closer to the start of the show. If they don't want to lose too many important housemates by this late stage of the game so as to avoid the show becoming stale, then they should toy with the idea of just skipping evictions every now and then and finding something else of interest to replace them.

Last year did it well, I think: no double evictions until the very last days in the house and only 2 intruders. This year could have been perfect with the cast of 16 from the very start, having only 1 eviction a week and not bothering with intruders. Adding intruders this late in the game was kind of pointless, all it has done is essentially preserve the original housemates for a few more weeks.

Despite how old the idea of it is, I still like intruders.
Sure they have no chance of winning and can often be pot plants, but its nice to see a new faces in the house.
I think BB has bigger problems then the stale intruder format.

what kind of a dumbass was justynn? He wanted to shake things up cool, but do so after you win the public vote to stay in the house, all he shook up was his own reputation.

A week in the Gregorian calender has only 7 days. Just a reminder. Justynn was not a dumbass, he was the best intruder in '13. He never stood a chance because he'd been portrayed as the bad guy from the beginning. The 'mind' (of what there is) of the mob is fickle. You tell 'em this guy stinks and is evil, and they'll lap it up, happy that once again the producers did the thinking for them.
So now we're stuck with the sweeter-than-honey good guy Nathan. Happy?

I actually like Madaline & Boog - would have made better housemates than Sharon & Jasmine!

As do I. From what I've seen, they're ok. Drew's criticism of Boog's voice surprises me... has he found the magic formula to block out Mikkayla's schreeching? No, I think Drew is showing his real colours now. Anything (such as intruders) new, and Drew will assume the stance of the fighting peacock.

Though I like Boog, I fear her presence will be to the detriment of Tahan. Mikkayla will sink her claws into Boog and use all of her seductive skills to convince Boog that Tahan is 'an evil person' (is this the current tag?) and Boog being a newbie will be too happy to have a real friend and do Mikk's bidding.
I don't like this at all.

Now to me if they were honest, they would say , hello, welcome , I'll vote you out the first chance I get,

I like [MENTION=32501]riddim[/MENTION]'s idea.

The intruders have just been a waste of time and haven't done anything. The only interesting one has been Justynn. I think if they're going to add intruders so late in the game, they need to be somewhat like Justynn (i.e. enough of a personality to make people love them or hate them), because otherwise we don't have enough time to appreciate their personalities.

Now that the intruders are in, I wonder how they're going to keep the show interesting? That's probably what the Producer's will be thinking.

I didn't get into Big Brother this year until the first two weeks gimmicks were over & done. When they settled into their normal daily shows, evictions & nominations, that's when the show was really good.

The last two weeks have been really gimmicky again :( Let's hope after Monday's intruder eviction, we'll settle into a normal routine.

Monday's show will be interesting! It's the first one without a Live Eviction, so we'll get to see plenty of weekend action - or at least, we bloody better!

Sort of reminds me of '07 White Room thing. I liked that idea.

So bring it on.

At least WE VIEWERS can get to know the intruders better this time -- so if housemates don't like them we'd vote to save them since they've grown into us.

Or how about making the show more top heavy with contestants by not having any evictions for the first 5/6 week?

Back