Skip to main content

"Intruders" is such a boring idea now

Tim

Don't block a thread, bitches.
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sew sick of intruders.

Every season, throw them in. Each year having more intruders than the last. Surprise intruder vote. Intruder twist. Intruder alert. Boring boring boring.

What is the point of having some one in the house for 3 days (45 minutes of footage, tops)? It's a waste of energy for very little return - the casting, the ads, the logistics of having them come into the house. So much effort goes in then the audience collectively yawns and hopefully sees them for more than one daily show.

If the intruder manages to last past the first lackluster "twist" or "surprise eviction", they are almost always booted out at the first available opportunity. Wasteful.

I've made this argument many times but Alex M just keeps on falling back on exhausted BB formulas. There is zero originality going on right now.

That said I completely understand the need to have some fresh faces on the show at the season's half-way mark. But why not do something cool like bring a HM's loved one into the house to live for a few days. The cruel catch is while the guest can talk to all the other housemates, they cannot talk to or interact with their loved HM. Now that would be good watching.

I want to see Big Brother 2014 with no intruders, but introduce short term guests designed to really test the housemates.

I'm am sew sick of intruders.

I've made this argument many times but Alex M just keeps on falling back on exhausted BB formulas. There is zero originality going on right now.

That said I completely understand the need to have some fresh faces on the show at the season's half-way mark. But why not do something cool like bring a HM's loved one into the house to live for a few days. The cruel catch is while the guest and can talk to all the other housemates, they cannot talk to or interact with their loved HM. Now that would be good watching.

I want to see Big Brother 2014 with no intruders, but introduce short term guests designed to really test the housemates.

LOVE this idea. I was kind of getting excited the later it got in the series that we would not have any intruders.

I think had we given Justynn immunity and guaranteed at least 2 weeks with him it could have been interesting, but nope.

#BBAU9Nointruders2014 !!!!! Let's get the message to Alex

I think your half way right that the intruders have been a fail, but I think that's more about there selection of intruders. A new approach is needed but I'm not sure loved ones is the way to go.

I think that it would be good if intruders went in around half way (maybe a few weeks earlier than they did this time around), they stay for two weeks and then the public vote to 'save'... If there were two intruders then one would stay...if there were four, then the top two would stay. Then they would nominate as normal and be able to be nominated after that.

Kind of similar to what they have done this year, but a few days to pick a preferred intruder is not nearly long enough.

what kind of a dumbass was justynn? He wanted to shake things up cool, but do so after you win the public vote to stay in the house, all he shook up was his own reputation.

It's so contrived that it makes me feel ill. You know the twists are especially bad when the housemates are always one step ahead of Big Brother.

Alex M and crew lack imagination. They also aren't willing to take any risks or push any boundaries. The show runs on autopilot at this point. Surprise surprise when the show continues to rate badly.

I'm sew sick of intruders.

Every season, throw them in. Each year having more intruders than the last. Surprise intruder vote. Intruder twist. Intruder alert. Boring boring boring.

What is the point of having some one in the house for 3 days (45 minutes of footage, tops)? It's a waste of energy for very little return - the casting, the ads, the logistics of having them come into the house. So much effort goes in then the audience collectively yawns and hopefully sees them for more than one daily show.

If the intruder manages to last past the first lackluster "twist" or "surprise eviction", they are almost always booted out at the first available opportunity. Wasteful.

That said I completely understand the need to have some fresh faces on the show at the season's half-way mark. But why not do something cool like bring a HM's loved one into the house to live for a few days. The cruel catch is while the guest can talk to all the other housemates, they cannot talk to or interact with their loved HM. Now that would be good watching.

I totally agree. The Intruder idea is done. Stick a fork in it.

NOT having intruders this year would have been much more of a twist (ugh that word), especially when you have someone like Tim who seems to pride himself on being a few steps ahead. His gameplan probably allowed for intruders, so to have him as well as the other housemates anticipating the arrival of non existent intruders would have been a much more effective (ugh) twist!

Having 'guests' intrude on the house for a few days would take care of the fresh face angle.

what kind of a dumbass was justynn? He wanted to shake things up cool, but do so after you win the public vote to stay in the house, all he shook up was his own reputation.

He was between a rock and a very hard place. To win the public vote and stay in the house, he needed to show the goods.

He just didn't need to show THAT many goods!

He was between a rock and a very hard place. To win the public vote and stay in the house, he needed to show the goods.

He just didn't need to show THAT many goods!

I agree but coming into the house talking about 'destroying' the second favourite to win was pretty much committing bb suicide. If he really had been watching the show prior to entering and wanted to stay on he should have acted differently for the first week and then once safe go off on his crusade or whatever.

I agree but coming into the house talking about 'destroying' the second favourite to win was pretty much committing bb suicide. If he really had been watching the show prior to entering and wanted to stay on he should have acted differently for the first week and then once safe go off on his crusade or whatever.

Yep. We are agreeing lol

Yes, I've had enough of them.

If anything, add one intruder in around day 30 of the show (not like 3 intruders after day 50!) and I'll be content.

Btw, that one intruder has to be hella interesting - sort of like Justynn (too bad he got the boot).

So yeah, in short, ONE intruder in day 30-ish.

there will always be intruders and the amount will probably increase.

More intruders = more contestants
More contestants = more evictions
More evictions = more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No more intruders please. It's really not worth it. They are at such a disadvantage and they're not going to gain enough popularity to have any effect on the game. I think they should try out temporary HMs who are put in there to mess with the game a little for maybe a week or two.

In my opinion, Justynn was great. He would have made for a great temporary HM. Sure he was an idiot but he made for some great TV, particularly for the dinner when they ate prawn crackers. But Justynn was never going to last. 'Vote to evict' was essentially in play because the vote was between only two intruders. A vote to save Nathan was essentially a vote to evict Justynn. If he was an original HM he may well have lasted longer. If Tim had been an intruder, he would have been out immediately just like Justynn. Remember at the start when everyone hated Tim?

Nathan will be gone next week. Haven't seen him add anything to the house. Again, as an original HM, he may well have lasted longer. But viewers just haven't gained the same amount of familiarity that they have with the other HMs. He's gonna have to do something pretty damn miraculous to stay in there.

As for the girls, they seem to have more hope than Nathan but who the hell are they and who really cares?

I really hate this part of the game. Evicting the intruder HMs is so predictable and uninteresting but it has to be done for the good of the game.

I actually like Madaline & Boog - would have made better housemates than Sharon & Jasmine!

The male housemates are a disaster! We all know Nathan is going next week - but I'm inclined to think that the Australian public may actually like Madaline & Boog. I actually don't want either of them to go.

Personally I LOVE the "Intruder Alert" - totally sends the housemates into a spin. I think they're an important aspect of the show - but possibly too late this year.

In saying that - they've done a good job at spreading out the 'twists' and keeping the viewing interesting this season. This time last year was SEW BORING.

The intruduer eviction is going to be pretty lackluster on Monday given its not a live show...

I wish they never brought them in. Especially not this jump in vote bs. Nominations and evictions are gonna be so predictable now. And people like Ed get to stay in a lot longer than they deserve. I might like it if they only had one super interesting intruder.

i complete agree with the OP.

However, I think the problem with the production is more fundamental. It gets boring late in the season, that we can all agree. The intruder solution fails time and again, which we can also agree on.

So shouldn't we go back and ask why it gets boring late in the season? or why they have no other options? With the contrived storylines, ridiculously limited footage and drip fed narrative, they leave themselves no options when it gets this late.

Had we been tracking all of the housemates and their multi-faceted personalities, there would probably be a lot more go-to footage available even at this late stage - things that would be new, old angles re-discovered and explored.

I'll also add that, if it has to be an intruder-scenario, how about use it as the crucible for experimentation. For example, set up an intruder "house" in week 2 and fill it with, say, 6 possible contestants. Have it available via live-feed with in-house blogging only. Let this go on for 4 weeks, then do a "vote to intrude". Spruik it through the main show, but build the buzz and anticipation online.

At that point, you're 7 weeks in, there's maybe 8-10 housemates left, and bang, 4 intruders enter en masse, and leave them save for two weeks until they're almost the same number as original HMs. Combined with 4-6 nominees each week, and you're almost certain to give a couple of them a chance to capture attention and re-invigorate interest before the storylines grow stale.

Back