Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

NZ Election is later this year.

Over half of Kiwis think politics and the economy are rigged against them
HENRY COOKE
A new poll shows that a majority of the country think the economic and political system are rigged against them.

The Ipsos poll, taken in May of 2017, shows that women and those earning less are even more likely to consider the system broken.

But Kiwis are less disenchanted than those in other countries and just a quarter think the country is in "decline".

Still, the numbers make for bracing reading for any politician.

Fully 56 per cent of Kiwis questioned agree that traditional parties and politicians don't care about people like them.
Just 16 per cent disagreed with that sentiment, and the unemployed were far more likely to think the system was rigged. In other countries like Australia dissatisfaction was higher.

But the economy got even worse marks than the politicians.

Six in ten - 64 per cent - agreed that the country's economy was rigged to advantage the rich and powerful.

Women and those earning less than $30,000 were significantly more likely to agree with that, and those earning over $100,000 were significantly less likely to agree.
Still, the numbers make for bracing reading for any politician.
"There definitely does seem to be some sense that there is a mood for change," said Ipsos's Nicola Legge.

"There is a sense that the economy is most benefiting those who need it least, with politicians having lost sight of the needs of everyday Kiwis. Low income households especially are feeling the strain."

"There are also signs that as we prepare to go to the polls in September many are open to a leader that will break the mould and release us from more of the same."

"While we are not alone in the world with these views, it would be wrong to assume we are primed for a sea-change such has that experienced in other countries in the past year."

Political scientist Bryce Edwards said everyone who was part of the "system" - left or right - should heed the warning.

"Until now, it has looked like New Zealand has been immune from the world-wide increase in radical politics and rebellion against the establishment. This poll shows that such political upheavals could yet come to New Zealand," Edwards said.

"This poll could be taken as a wake up call that not all is well in New Zealand. Levels of satisfaction are clearly in question at the moment."

Edwards said how this might play out on an election might be hard to predict, as many of the disenchanted would simply not vote.

"But there will be some looking for some sort of electoral outlet for their concerns. And the best positioned parties are going to be NZ FIrst with Winston Peters and Shane Jones, and TOP to some degree."

It was likely that MMP, by allowing smaller parties to gain some power, had created something of a release valve which might account for the lower level of dissatisfaction in New Zealand compared with other countries.

"The system does respond to some degree. But the fact that we still haven't seen any new parties come into Parliament since 1996 that are formed from people who aren't already in Parliament does suggest that it is not as flexible as we might think."

He said that while other countries seem closer to electing a 'strongman' figure, New Zealand was not immune.

"The fact that half of New Zealanders would appear to welcome an anti-democratic politician ruling the country should be a huge concern. This suggests that politics really is in a very unhealthy state."

"New Zealand might think it's immune from ever having a Trump-like figure come to power, but this polls suggests that such a danger isn't so farfetched."

The online poll questioned a weighted sample of 507 adults over May 2017. It found no significant difference in dissatisfaction between age groups.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/po...igged-against-them?cid=facebook.post.94335554

I don't know - I just wanted to?! I came a long while back after I finished Uni and wanted to come back. I like studying language. Where does Nick want to live?

He doesn't want to live in Europe at all, but his work will eventually mean he has to - he has gigs galore in Europe, and lots of fans.
It is more profitable, more everything for him OS, Melbourne is getting too small.
Trouble is, he is a bit of a home body and tells me he can't do it, but heaps of youngins need to live OS for a bit for the career.

He is a bit, unworldly, doesn't know young Aussies doing the OS thing.....I have a Swiss friend I will get to talk to him, her Aussie hubbie lived in Switzerland in his 20s and they married and came back here, he would be a good adviser.

Likely Berlin or Hamburg, he has friends in both places, and a German manager for stuff over there.

That is odd about NZ @Isee, they seemed to have good government, and to be doing rather well, certainly better than Aus.

Have long admired the anti nuke ship policies, and quite independent thinking.

Have NZers just joined the general malaise sweeping the world, so very WHAT ABOUT ME and whiny everywhere - but friggin hell we are the born lucky countries.

That is odd about NZ @Isee, they seemed to have good government, and to be doing rather well, certainly better than Aus.

Have long admired the anti nuke ship policies, and quite independent thinking.

Have NZers just joined the general malaise sweeping the world, so very WHAT ABOUT ME and whiny everywhere - but friggin hell we are the born lucky countries.

The National Government have been in power for a while there.

They got hit harder by the GFC than Aus did. They have recovered, but its imbalanced and I suspect not sustainable. For instance the housing market in Auckland is very similar prices to Sydney, which when it has the the same population as Adelaide is crazy - but it has had a knock on effect to other places as Aucklanders have moved elsewhere as they got priced out of Auckland. So towns with populations of less than 200,000 people have median house prices close to a million dollars - just ridiculous. As you can imagine the earning potential in towns like that, or even in Auckland for most, don't add up. So you have the rich getting richer and the poor struggling more and more as rent prices rise, and owning a house is just a dream, and a government that only care about helping the people on the rich end of the scale, unless it is an election year.

NZ Labour party has suffered a bit of the same problem the Australian parties have had. After Helen Clark there was no natural leader shining through, so nobody has been an opponent for John key. Now he has resigned, and I think some of the leadership in Labour has started to show through that may have changed, but its hard to tell anymore what will happen.

The Greens and Labour have basically formed an alliance of sorts, but the Greens in NZ are a very respectable party with policies on everything not just environmental matters, so, that alliance I think would effectively take labour a little less left of centre than they had started to become.

I think any government that went against the anti-nuke policies etc in NZ would be committing political suicide. NZers want to keep it that way!

Reactions: kxk
Wow, those house prices are shocking had no idea. Haven't seen much about NZ for some time, and kind of assumed they were coasting, being more innovative than us and manufacturing a lot.
The ghastly earthquake damages etc would have hit the economy too

Wow, those house prices are shocking had no idea. Haven't seen much about NZ for some time, and kind of assumed they were coasting, being more innovative than us and manufacturing a lot.
I think they are streaks ahead of Australia in some ways definitely, but like all countries, not without their problems. Interestingly for the first time in many years there is more people shifting to NZ from here than the other way around. Many kiwis shifting home I think.

Reactions: kxk
They have the advantage of not being a messy federation, seem to get things done quicker

8229540-3x2-700x467.jpg

DOOMSDAY CLOCK - WORST IN OVER 64 YEARS

Timeline
IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
DoomsdayClock_black_2.5mins_regmark (1).png

DoomsdayClock_black_2.5mins_regmark%20%281%29.png

2017: For the last two years, the minute hand of the Doomsday Clock stayed set at three minutes before the hour, the closest it had been to midnight since the early 1980s. In its two most recent annual announcements on the Clock, the Science and Security Board warned: “The probability of global catastrophe is very high, and the actions needed to reduce the risks of disaster must be taken very soon.” In 2017, we find the danger to be even greater, the need for action more urgent. It is two and a half minutes to midnight, the Clock is ticking, global danger looms. Wise public officials should act immediately, guiding humanity away from the brink. If they do not, wise citizens must step forward and lead the way. See the full statement from the Science and Security Board on the 2017 time of the Doomsday Clock.
IT IS STILL 3 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
DoomsdayClock_black_3mins_regmark.jpg

2016: "Last year, the Science and Security Board moved the Doomsday Clock forward to three minutes to midnight, noting: 'The probability of global catastrophe is very high, and the actions needed to reduce the risks of disaster must be taken very soon.' That probability has not been reduced. The Clock ticks. Global danger looms. Wise leaders should act—immediately." See the full statement from the Science and Security Board on the 2016 time of the Doomsday Clock.
IT IS 3 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

2015: "Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats to the continued existence of humanity, and world leaders have failed to act with the speed or on the scale required to protect citizens from potential catastrophe. These failures of political leadership endanger every person on Earth." Despite some modestly positive developments in the climate change arena, current efforts are entirely insufficient to prevent a catastrophic warming of Earth. Meanwhile, the United States and Russia have embarked on massive programs to modernize their nuclear triads-thereby undermining existing nuclear weapons treaties. "The clock ticks now at just three minutes to midnight because international leaders are failing to perform their most important duty—ensuring and preserving the health and vitality of human civilization."
IT IS 5 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
DoomsdayClock_black_5mins_regmark.jpg

DoomsdayClock_black_5mins_regmark.jpg

2012: "The challenges to rid the world of nuclear weapons, harness nuclear power, and meet the nearly inexorable climate disruptions from global warming are complex and interconnected. In the face of such complex problems, it is difficult to see where the capacity lies to address these challenges." Political processes seem wholly inadequate; the potential for nuclear weapons use in regional conflicts in the Middle East, Northeast Asia, and South Asia are alarming; safer nuclear reactor designs need to be developed and built, and more stringent oversight, training, and attention are needed to prevent future disasters; the pace of technological solutions to address climate change may not be adequate to meet the hardships that large-scale disruption of the climate portends.
IT IS 6 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
DoomsdayClock_black_6mins_regmark.jpg

DoomsdayClock_black_6mins_regmark.jpg

2010: "We are poised to bend the arc of history toward a world free of nuclear weapons" is the Bulletin's assessment. Talks between Washington and Moscow for a follow-on agreement to the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty are nearly complete, and more negotiations for further reductions in the U.S. and Russian nuclear arsenal are already planned. The dangers posed by climate change are growing, but there are pockets of progress. Most notably, at Copenhagen, the developing and industrialized countries agree to take responsibility for carbon emissions and to limit global temperature rise to 2 degrees Celsius.

MORE HERE
http://thebulletin.org/timeline
Gives a timeline breakdown over the decades

That's because you seem to base your opinions on what you want to be true, rather than researching and learning what is actually true. You obviously have a fondness for NZ so you mentally created perfection without any basis except you want it to be true, and you obviously despise the US so you mentally created a living hell without any basis, well that's not entirely true, based on the fact as a child you decided that all American's had bad dress sense.

no. because i'm stupid.

but i have heard of the inigo insult index.

and the witty web of weakness.

and the camerashy triangle.
Oh my days!

And this relates to politics how?! The spambot is still hard at work I see.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just care about other things more. I wonder if I should go into politics? You can be my campaign manager. But then we turn on each other once you find out that I am actually a sixty foot dinosaur who dislikes brussell sprouts intensely.

LOL
You can't get a date, yet you think you could get a vote? Mum maybe.

Triggs Departs, Slams Government As 'Ideologically Opposed To Human Rights'
Gillian Triggs has a few things to say on her last day.

CANBERRA -- One of the most polarising figures in Australian politics departs her job today after controversial five years and Professor Gillian Triggs is going out fighting, accusing the Turnbull Government of being "ideologically opposed to human rights".

And the outgoing President of the Human Rights Commission is seriously questioning Australia's very likely ascendancy later this year to the UN's Human Rights Council, suggesting it is not deserved.

The outgoing President told RN Breakfast host Fran Kelly the state of human rights in Australia have regressed over the past five years for women, indigenous people, homeless people and in the area of immigration for asylum seekers and refugees.

They are, according to Triggs, issues which are generally "out of mind, out of sight".

"I think it is partly because we have a government which is ideologically opposed to human rights," she said.

"And I think it is exacerbated by the distance of most Australians where these problems are most visible."

But she also decried, as she has done before, Australia's lack of a Bill of Rights against which government policies can be benchmarked.

"Anything that Canada, North America, the United States, Britain and much of Europe, any government measure, any legislative measure must comply with fundamental human rights," Triggs said.

"We don't have that in Australia."

And she said Australians were also "very unnerved" by constant talk about the fear of terrorism and how the Government "explicitly and implicitly" links that to asylum seeker issues.

The Government and media pursuits of Professor Triggs began in earnest while Tony Abbott was Prime Minister when the Human Rights Commission conducted what was ultimately a damning national inquiry into children in offshore detention, called "The Forgotten Children".

The then Prime Minister declared he had lost confidence in Triggs and slammed the report as a political exercise.

Triggs was also a central figure in a controversial, drawn out racial discrimination caseagainst three Queensland university students.

For her part, Triggs has "no regrets" and stands by the Commission's work in bringing "natural justice" and standing up for the rights of Australians.

"I believe we've done a terrific job. The staff: we've stuck to the facts, we know the facts are right, we know the law is right, and we're very proud of that," she said.

Conservative media have also had their own parting shots at Triggs on her final day, with Sydney radio shock jock Alan Jones tweeting, "good riddance".

DFnwcJVU0AANjtA.jpg:large

A wonderful woman, lucky enough to meet her a few times, beautiful inside and out

I've given up on dating anyway. No woman could ever live up to Inigo. And that's the truth.
No person you ever meet ever can live up to an idealistic impression you have created for yourself of a girl you had a couple of conversations online with several years ago now. And before you say you know Inigo has faults, they are the faults you have decided she has and have reconciled in your mind that you can accept. How could anyone else ever measure up to this figment of your imagination?

Back