Skip to main content

Channel 7 considering live Big Brother for 2024 season

If the format is rested for five years, it could be brought back later this decade by a forward-thinking network as 'nostalgia' from the early noughties.

If the format is rested for five years, it could be brought back later this decade by a forward-thinking network as 'nostalgia' from the early noughties.
I actually disagree. As I’ve said many times now with the 7 era essentially being an entirely different show there shouldn’t be a need for a hiatus. Or at least not a very long one.

All another network (preferably Ten) needs to do is adopt a back to basics approach, focus on casting authentic characters, air the show live, and promote the shit out of it. Add in live streaming in some capacity and I guarantee people will watch it.

As Brekkie said there’s an entire generation of people who grew up watching the classic series who will now have kids in BB’s key demographic. If the show is worth watching parents will get their kids interested. @Zcsund1234 had talked a lot about how his mum got him watching the show.

Lastly one of the biggest criticisms of this era has been “this is not BB”. IMO another network should seize the opportunity to restore the format. Waiting 5 years is going to kill off a lot of the hunger people have for a more authentic show.

Agree a swifter return might capitalise on the mess Seven made of it. Realistically Seven will have the option on it for next year so it's unlikely to be on the market until 2025 at the earliest, possibly 2026 - especially if Seven can renew the option without actually making a series. I think most would see it as a revival of a format that ended in 2014 rather than 2023.

If Ten picked it up it would likely land in the second half of the year as with I'm a Celeb, Survivor and Masterchef they're pretty much sorted for the first half - and I can't see any of those formats going anywhere soon. If it were Nine (please no!) I guess it's somewhere between MAFS finishing and the Block starting - but think that would be too risky for them really.

Big Brother is a prickly show for risk averse tv networks with dwindling budgets.

Even back in 2011, Channel ten chief programmer David Mott stated that he "was exploring the possibility of bringing Big Brother back, but was concerned that once loyal fans may have 'moved on'".
The idea that fans have “moved on” is what’s holding the show back from being what is once was in the modern era. We’ve yet to see an honest try on this front and I think it’s worth giving it a shot.

The BB that gave us the infamous “Turkey Slap” was basically a parody of the authentic BB as was the Nine era “family friendly” version of the show.

IMO BB doesn’t need a major update for modern audiences it just needs to go back to being authentic and restore elements of the show that made it BB.

Agree a swifter return might capitalise on the mess Seven made of it. Realistically Seven will have the option on it for next year so it's unlikely to be on the market until 2025 at the earliest, possibly 2026 - especially if Seven can renew the option without actually making a series. I think most would see it as a revival of a format that ended in 2014 rather than 2023.

If Ten picked it up it would likely land in the second half of the year as with I'm a Celeb, Survivor and Masterchef they're pretty much sorted for the first half - and I can't see any of those formats going anywhere soon. If it were Nine (please no!) I guess it's somewhere between MAFS finishing and the Block starting - but think that would be too risky for them really.
As much as I would favour brining in a new younger/up and coming presenter I do think brining back Gretel and perhaps sweetening the deal by making her an EP would definitely help give the impression of the show returning to its roots.

Mike can fuck off though.

I also wouldn’t be against brining back FNL in some capacity if it meant it would get people excited. I also think the ridiculousness of the format and childishness of it all would show that the show isn’t taking itself too seriously. Just pop it on a secondary channel or as a streaming exclusive where ratings don’t matter as much.

I agree with @Kingston

All it will take is another network to grab and almost tagline with “we’re bringing back ORIGINAL big brother” and people will watch.
Give it a Y2K esthetic with an updated remix of the classic theme. Bring some fun and frivolity back to the format. Most importantly let BB be BB warts and all… None of this “family friendly” BS. Seriously Live… Seriously BIG BROTHER!

If anything an immediate rebrand on a new network is better than it resting for another half a decade. If it comes back instantly it would a huge fuck you to the current state of the show. Allow all fans both causal and longterm to unite together and hang shit on whatever the hell channel 7 is putting up.

We all keep saying it’s not Big Brother. For all intents and purposes, BBAU is currently on hiatus whilst some cheapshit survivor rip off is borrowing its name for marketing purposes.

I’m not certain executives would be sold on 24/7 streaming but I think a limited block of live feed with shorter clips from the house (released either via an official app or social media) to fill in gaps throughout the day would be a decent compromise. Taking a more hybrid approach is definitely an opportunity BBUK missed out on…

At this point I’d be fine with live updates like channel 9 had. Just give us something that extends beyond the daily shows. Fans don’t want to be pressured into having to watch every episode, people want to have an idea of what’s going on in the house without full time commitment.

It astounds me that the answers are right there Infront of these executives but yet they’re willing to embarrass the name of the network over being humble. What the fuck is wrong with Australian television.

If anything an immediate rebrand on a new network is better than it resting for another half a decade. If it comes back instantly it would a huge fuck you to the current state of the show. Allow all fans both causal and longterm to unite together and hang shit on whatever the hell channel 7 is putting up.

We all keep saying it’s not Big Brother. For all intents and purposes, BBAU is currently on hiatus whilst some cheapshit survivor rip off is borrowing its name for marketing purposes.
Networks have had no issues with talent shows jumping networks in quick succession so I see no problem with BB doing the same. In fact I imagine BB being more successful for the reasons we’ve both already listed.

At this point I’d be fine with live updates like channel 9 had. Just give us something that extends beyond the daily shows. Fans don’t want to be pressured into having to watch every episode, people want to have an idea of what’s going on in the house without full time commitment.

It astounds me that the answers are right there Infront of these executives but yet they’re willing to embarrass the name of the network over being humble. What the fuck is wrong with Australian television.
Nah official live streaming needs to return in some capacity. I imagine this place would see a lot more action if there was a few hours of nightly streaming than if it were just a handful of curated clips and stories. Not to mention social media engagement during that time as well.

If it were Ten I suspect they'd do something similar to ITV with a nightly block, spinning it as the return of Uplate.

If it were Ten I suspect they'd do something similar to ITV with a nightly block, spinning it as the return of Uplate.
Sure. Slap the Uplate name on it but otherwise just have it be exclusively live streaming. There’s absolutely no need to have it be hosted if they take steps to ensure the HM’s are actually awake while the streams are on.

Sure. Slap the Uplate name on it but otherwise just have it be exclusively live streaming. There’s absolutely no need to have it be hosted if they take steps to ensure the HM’s are actually awake while the streams are on.
How do you wake up (or keep awake) sleepy housemates?

How do you wake up (or keep awake) sleepy housemates?
Red Bull.

Virtually all the HMs have stayed up till 2am nightly on the UK stream. The day just seems to be structured in a way that encourages that with late wake up calls and late meal times.

Maybe even another promo with Peter Abbot saying " THIS is Big Brother. I have returned " then a card on screen saying " returning 2025"
I think Peter Abbott has moved on and Ten might have burnt a bridge with him after I’m a Celebrity.

That said keeping things simple and drawing on nostalgia is definitely a good move.

Red Bull.

Virtually all the HMs have stayed up till 2am nightly on the UK stream. The day just seems to be structured in a way that encourages that with late wake up calls and late meal times.
Loosening restrictions around alcohol would also help. They don’t need to get completely sloshed but giving them access to more than just a single serving would go a long way.

Back